Two failed heat guns - any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two failed heat guns - any ideas?

My GMC heatgun failed on me this morning midroast. Given that Ive just started 6 weeks unpaid leave (my op is tomorrow), I didnt want to spend a fortune at Bunnings and settled for now on the XU1 for $15. I got it home, plugged it in and.... nothing. Since Im thinking of a hundred different things I have to do today, I just wanted to check that I havent forgotten some really basic thing before I take the new heatgun back. The breadmaker works fine from the same powerpoint (double adaptor on an extension lead), and Ive tried the new heatgun on a different powerpoint that is on a different circuit.

I just have this feeling that Ive missed something really minor, and Im going to look an idiot when I return the heatgun.....

Re: Two failed heat guns - any ideas?

Sprobably a lemon.

Just to be sure try it out on all switch/fan/heat combinations and also try it directly in a powerpoint .
    [Some double adapters & powerboard have dubious contacts.]

There may be some thermal cutout somewhere in the XU1 but I dont know.

Also suggest [since your time is tight] that you test out the replacement in the store.

I Hope all goes well with the op, youll need plenty of beans to assist with a speedy recovery.

Comment

Buy a good one. I got a used Makita for ~$40.

Comment

My Ryobi has performed well so far, I run a fan to blow chaff and cool the HG body so hopefully this will lengthen the longevity of the gun!! Time and many many roasts will tell..........................

Comment

Interesting Greenman, I swapped the XU1 for a Ryobi, and it lasted marginally longer than the XU1 did.  Thats 3 heatguns in one day - must be some sort of record.  I pulled the trusty Mistral popper out and finished the batch off two handfuls at a time, using the same power outlet as I used for the heatguns.  No idea whats happened with the heatguns, Ill sort it out when I can move reasonably comfortably again.

Comment

Id try a different hardware store Viviane, some of them compete with the likes of airport baggage handlers to see who can treat their stock the roughest.....

Mal.

Comment

Ive had an Ozito from Bunnings for 6 months with no probs. I think the fan to keep the chaff out of the HG is definitely a good idea though...

Cheers Dave

Comment

Poor Vivane!

I had a faulty gun experience early in my Coretto experience.

Belinda set me straight by reminding me to "run down" my gun, let it cool while still insitu by leaving it on with the temp wound right back(on the GMC that is).

When mine did break I just rang GMC and they sent another gun within a fortnight.

I havent had an issue with my gun during the last 30 or so roasts. I use the Corretto with a fan directed at the "head" of the gun (ala Belindas set up), I use it as a super small batch roaster doing 800g at a time without a problem. It allows me to get up close to the bean during the whole process. Once I am confident of the profile I give it a whorl in the big boys toy in the warehouse.

Regards
                Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeePrince link=1193197444/0#7 date=1193257968
                  Belinda set me straight by reminding me to "run down" my gun, let it cool while still insitu by leaving it on with the temp wound right back(on the GMC that is).
                  Could be on to something there.... Maybe its worth trying this procedure if you havent already, and see if that does the trick. Sometimes forget about the things one does automatically but this is something I have always done, even with high quality guns.... they last a lot longer this way ,

Mal.

Comment

Yep, my Ryobi 2 speed as done heaps of roasts.... several of them back to back and no problem....

But I always leave the gun running on low (60C) after the end of the roast.... and cool the gun with a fan during the roast as detailed in Belindas original post.

Comment

I have used Robs GMC for months and months...
                      only mod: take the plastic nozzle protector off, so the guns metal nozzle is open to the air right from the housing of the gun.
                      that way the gun does not overheat.
                      i used it on the "high" setting only, and managed the heat with the drill stand: up, or down, as required.
                      also, i made sure the air -intake-slits were not blocked by chaff.. something which can occur quite easily!

L

Comment

Hi Viviane, I’m sure it was nothing you did or didnt do. We have had several GMC HGs fail. Back to bunnings they all went who were happy to swap them for a new one every time. GMCs have a long warranty (on most products), we have returned so many of their products that we dont even need receipts these days lol. I have heard that some things need to be sent back for inspection now but we havent encountered it.

I hope your op went well, get some rest while you can.

Comment

I spoke with Viviane this evening and she gave me the ok to make this post - welll, the part to say she was ok at least. It was a big operation and she is now home. Although house bound and quite sore, she is definitely on the mend. I know this because I could overhear her barking orders at her son in regards to how to prepare dinner (typical chef suffering from caffeine withdrawal though no swearing) :

Comment

I tossed the GMC Platimum (They are for backup only now) and got the Bosch...

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod4445.htm

Huge improvement indeed - higher airflow, excellent temp control. Bunnings have them for $94 I think - which is what I paid.

Comment

Really interesting reading these posts.

I bought the cheapest heat gun I could find, a B&D, just in case the roasting thing was not to my liking and have used it for well over a 100 roasts and over 15 months and apart from the plastic around the nozzle melting from where it sits in the drill stand, it has not missed a beat.

I dont cool it, have a fan blowing on it or any of the other things mentioned above. I have the bm and the hg plugged into a power board and when I want to finish the roast I kill the power to the power board so I can easily dump the roast.

The only thing I ensure is that it is clean and the vents are not clogged.

Comment

Working...
                              X