Halogen roaster - BM/HF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halogen roaster - BM/HF

I got interested in roasting with halogen lights after reading about a machine called the Digirosto. It sounds pretty impressive but the $14,000 price tag convinced me to try a more homespun approach.
    This guy in New Zealand has successfully built a nice looking machine using halogen floodlights. http://www.dbr.co.nz/radiant.html

I wanted to make an all-in-one unit, but not being an electrician, I have stuck with plugin components. I am using quartz halogen floodlights to roast, in combination with my breadmaker. Of course, using a breadmaker for bean agitation is well documented here at CS.

I bought a couple of 500w lights from Bunnings. When they have them in stock, they are under $10 each and come with a spare bulb. After operating on them with a hacksaw and drill I now have one twin halogen housing, hinged to the top of my breadmaker. There are still two power leads, one going through an inline dimmer which makes the power variable between 0-500w or 500 -1000w when I switch on the other bulb.

With both bulbs running full bore, I hit first crack around 15 minutes with 500gr of beans (205 *C by the DMM TC). I can then ease off with the dimmer and coast into second crack at the 20 minute mark.

Initially, the breadmaker was cutting out at 150*C so I modified it by moving the heat sensors. My machine is a Breville Excel and the sensors are attached to one wall of the well by a couple of screws. Relocating them to the far side of the internals has removed the problem without messing with the wiring.

I am really happy with the roasts that I have done so far. The radiant heat roasts very evenly and the beans taste clean and full flavoured with no hint of burning or baking.

Chaff gets broken up by the agitation and settles at the bottom of the tin. What little makes it into the bean cooler is sucked out, so it is not an issue. Smoke finds its way out as the top isnt airtight.

Future enhancements may include a perforated false floor to catch chaff, a pc-style case fan for smoke extraction and a viewing window .

cheers
    Andrew

Re: Halogen roaster - BM/HF

Hi Andrew,

Nice looking setup.........yet another incantation of the bread maker.

How many roasts have you put through it?

Do you anticipate any problems with smoke staining the alloy reflector material?

Darn......the New Inventors series on ABC TV has just ended too......oh well.....next year! 8-)

Nice One!

b4b.

Comment

Hi b4b,

Ive only put half a dozen roasts through so it is still early days, but no sign of deposits on the reflectors. It gets pretty hot in there!
      (the New Inventors is about the only show I watch)

cheers
      Andrew

Comment

Well done Andrew!

I contemplated doing something like this a few months after starting with the BM/HG. Theres a big thread on IR roasting (near the end of 2006), but I never got around to it after all the research.

Can you see the roast in progress or is it covered by the lighting?

It would be great if you could blow some air around. This would give more flexibility in roast times ie decrease time to FC and lengthen time between FC and SC, and blow the chaff out. The Diedrich Infra Red 3kg Roaster, which Dennis is getting uses forced air.

Anyway, great to see something doing this

Belinda

Comment

Nice one AJ.

Very quiet roasting too I bet!

How hot do the spotties get? I fiddled with a couple of those 500 watt lights and when pointed down like that they nearly blistered the paint... which might lessen the globe life. May need a bit of ventalation?

It would be great if you could blow some air around.
          Maybe a blast from a heatgun at 10 minutes would remove the chaff?

A great project to keep tweaking and Im sure you will get a big following to this thread.

You will have to post one of the profiles from the Roast Monitor software for interest.

Comment

that is a fantastic idea, Andrew!!
            i like the way you have "surgically" fitted both lights so neatly on top of the BM...
            well done

L

Comment

Im impressed. Nice work.

Comment

Halogen is such a great concept in a roaster.

Comment

The ingenuity of CSers never ceases to amaze me, they are a very inventive lot...well done!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1196336104/0#8 date=1196398894
                    The ingenuity of CSers never ceases to amaze me, they are a very inventive lot...well done!!!
                    They have to be - the alternative is expensive. :-)

Comment

Heres a link to the Korean mob who manufacture the Digirosto AJ referred to ...

http://www.imex-hcc.com/en/product/product_view.php?no=16

I lived in Sth Korea for 2 years, & reading the "Konglish" descriptions of this roaster that to me looks like a vending machine, brought a reminiscent smirk to my face :

If you want to operate roaster at the automatic mode, input weight same as electronic scale and select kind of green beans according to the color of it and set up color grade of coffee bean which you desire and all the rest of the operations can be done by the computerized program. The creation method of taste which seeks by the POWER model is realized by adapt the existing halogen heater of the previous model which can perform accurate roasting of the green bean and additionally adapt auxiliary heater for the outside of the drum so that it can maintain the advantage of the old style roaster and make the oil inside of the coffee bean can be released and produce deep coffee taste with profound caramel flavor and keeping aroma of bean. ;D

Im intrigued by the "creation method of taste" :-? Will beans roasted in this contraption provide those elusive god-shots were all seeking???

Comment

Fantastic job ajay. IR is definitely a nice clean option.

Maybe you could leave a gap between the lamps and top of the casing all round or on two opposite sides, mount a HG adjacent and sideways across the top to create a ventura to remove chaff and build up of smoke?

Then some strategically placed mirrors might also help you keep an eye on whats happening in there???

Comment

Thanks all for your encouragement and advice.

Originally posted by Corretto link=1196336104/0#3 date=1196341285
                          Can you see the roast in progress or is it covered by the lighting?
                          Yes, there is a slight gap between the light housing and the BM body so I can see roast progress without suffering retinal injury.

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1196336104/0#4 date=1196346180
                          You will have to post one of the profiles from the Roast Monitor software for interest.
                          Andy, I didnt know that the  Roast Monitor software was up! I will be installing it on the shed PC tonight. That should help quantify differences that any design changes, like airflow, make.

The quietness of the current build is a real plus. I can hear those delicate tinklings as second crack starts.

Originally posted by Dennis link=1196336104/0#11 date=1196410618
                          Then some strategically placed mirrors might also help you keep an eye on whats happening in there???
                          Dennis, periscope and webcam are two monitoring options yet to be struck from the list!

cheers
                          Andrew

Comment

Andy, I didnt know that the Roast Monitor software was up!
                            Sorry AJ, I was going to mention it in the last monthly heads-up email.

You can find it here:
                            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1195544620

Comment

A bit of an update on the Halogen roaster. I have done nothing with it over the last nine months except roast coffee. It does at least two 500g roasts a week and just keeps going.

I did upgrade the elements from the generic ones that came with the lamps to a couple of Philips 500w globes. These are obviously a bit more efficient as it has  reduced roast time by a few minutes, which is very pleasing. I now hit first crack in the 12th minute and dump between 17 & 18.

Here is a fairly typical roast profile of some Aceh beans taken about 20 seconds into rolling second crack. As you can see I pulled the heat down just after first crack.

cheers
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X