X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Cafe Hard to Hear FC and SC

Hey,

Just got Gene Cafe from Chris and very happy

I roasted some Tanzania from beanbay and they came out nice and even. The only thing is that I had a hard time listening for the cracks. It sounds very quite. Is this what most people find when moving from a popper to a gene?

My roast was
    150 for 5mins
    228 until FC
    After FC when down 220 and stopped at SC which was about 23mins.
    Think the 150 for 5mins was just to make better consistency for future roasts so dont think the 5mins should be counted. So main roasting time was about 18mins.

Cheers,
    CK

Re: Gene Cafe Hard to Hear FC and SC

Hey Coffee Kid

I have pretty much the same question.
    I roasted 240gm of the Beanbay Tanzanian as my second roast at 228 on sunday. I heard the FC but it was really quiet after a popcorn popper. I have only done 2 roasts and neither time heard the SC even though the first roast ended up pretty burnt.

I stopped the second roast at 17.32 when I noticed smoke and the colour looked about right.
    I tried some this morning - was fantastic.

What other indicators are there for SC other than the sound?

Ben

Comment

Yea I agree, love the Gene Cafe but really struggle with hearing the cracks. I look at the colour and tend to go by that rather than anything else.

Also Chris gave me a good tip of getting your ear close to the chaff catcher and it certainly helps with second crack.

I found this Bean Bays Tanzanian about 18-19 (229) to give really good results.

Comment

Does your ears get quite hot near the chaff container?
        I was more looking at the colour and smoke coming out to say its SC rather then acctually hearing SC. Though I think I acctually heard it but very faintly.

Comment

The increased amount of smoke and intense coffee aroma should be indicative second crack is either very fast approaching or underway.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1198058830/0#4 date=1198103260
            The increased amount of smoke and intense coffee aroma should be indicative second crack is either very fast approaching or underway.
            Agreed with Robusto on that one!

I can understand the difference with the popper situation. It took me awhile to hear the cracks with the gene after using it.  

Alot of beans are different in their FC/SC stages. Dominician Barahona is like a gunshot going off at FC, and at SC it sounds like greaseproof paper being rustled.

If you dont mind putting your ear close to the chaff collector, then thats the best way to hear the cracks.  ;D :P

-Linda

Comment

Nearly burned my ears and eyebrows off last time, still heard nothing even though the smoke was clearly visible.

Will try again tonight with a different Bean and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Im sorry, I am pi**ing myself reading the posts.

I didnt mean you put your ear or ears over the chaff collector!!!

Really dangerous or to quote the Koreans, "Caution of the fire and burn."

If you face the roaster and put your ear alongside the chaff collector you can hear the reverberation through the collector probably because of the fan forced air which carries the sound through the chamber.

Anyway, I have just completed a roast and could only just make out some snaps of first crack with no idea about when second occurred, also no smoke so could only go by colour and ended up with a CS10. It was a blend so will be interesting to taste the results.

Comment

yep, the Gene is very quiet...
                  just finished roasting the last of my 7.5 kg ( in appr 275gm batches) of "Christmas" presents... PNG Kinjibi Peaberry, Grace Villa and Yirg;
                  of those, the Grace was the only one with a loud snapping FC and a SC which i could distinguish clearly if i stood close by the Gene.. both other beans FC was difficult to hear and and SC very hard to pick... sometimes i judged more on the timer & release of the tell-tale smoke than on the snaps.
                  but roasting in the Gene is effortless, as 2mcm has said in another thread: back to back...and again...and again...

L

Comment

Got an OT question

Do you guys wash the chamber or clean it somehow?
                    The manual says you can wash it but commercial roasters spend heaps of beans on seasoning their drums. So should we clean it?

Comment

Back on topic

I roasted the sulawesi bean today. I went 150 for 5mins then ramped up to 235... went to first crack at 9mins excluding the 5mins and turned down to 220, 3mins later i think i saw the smoke so i hit eject and cooled it down. Think i heard some very faint souds for SC.

I dont think ill ever go up to 235 again. I couldnt get the stretch from FC and SC long enough. Maybe I could turn it down when FC starts. Think ill try that next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee Kid link=1198058830/0#9 date=1198141588
                        Got an OT question

Do you guys wash the chamber or clean it somehow?
                        The manual says you can wash it but commercial roasters spend heaps of beans on seasoning their drums. So should we clean it?

Good question. I dont think you can compare Pyrex with a drum roaster. I still adhere to the old wives tale about not washing your tea pot which I think is a myth. But funnily enough when I had a glass teapot I would wash it but dont wash the stainless steel one we have now. How weird is that?

I wash mine every 4 or 5 roasts with dishwashing detergent, then rinse and dry, although it takes awhile for all the water to drain out.

As I was cleaning it out tonight I noticed the changing colour on the ends where the coffee has started to make its impression. Next time I wash it I will be interested to see if that changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee Kid link=1198058830/0#10 date=1198142129
                          I went 150 for 5mins then ramped up to 235...
                          Dont know that this is a really good idea CK, I guess if you must have a dehumidifying phase then Id keep the temp to below 120C and for 2-3 minutes at most. At the parameters you are using I believe that there might be a risk of unintentionally baking your beans, even though you try to hit FC at 9:00 minutes or so, with a 150C setting for 5 minutes I think you will need to consider that this in reality is 14:00 minutes to FC.

I think a much more preferable routine would be to pre-heat the roast chamber to 150C, add your beans then roast normally so that you hit FC within a 8-10 minute window, back the heat off and aim to reduce the ramp to about 3-4C/minute until SC occurs roughly 5:00 minutes after the end of FC or until the roast has reached the colour you desire. Not all beans have to be roasted into SC.

All the best CK,
                          Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the tip mal
                            Sounds like a better roasting plan.

Comment

Hi CK,

i had trouble with the quality of my roasts until last week (see http://<span style="color:#ffcc00">h...6982327</span>) and ended up modifying my roast-profiles to a drying -off cycle of 5 min @150C as was suggested to me in that thread....

Originally posted by Bill link=1196982327/0#12 date=1197030515
                              or you could try the initial drying stage as Ken Fox recommends, ramp up to 150C over the first 4mins, or as Eddie Dove (from CoffeeGeek) uses in his Gene Cafe, 150C for first 5mins

....followed by a quick ramp to 235C, at which i generally get a FC around the 8.30 -9 min mark (except the Yirg, that takes until about 12min), then down to 229C for SC at about 13-14 min mark (Yirg at 17min).
                              it seems to work for me: the results are really yummy!

cheers,
                              L

Comment

Working...
                              X