X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Heatgun Discussion.....

Originally posted by Presso link=1164000407/0#3 date=1164011346
    Heat Gun Name / Model Number: GMC PLATINUM HG 2000K

Notes: With the 14 day first up failure warranty and the 2 year replacment guarantee this baby rocks
    He just a note with GMC products for those thinking of buying, they have changed there warranty system you can no longer take it back to Bunnings, or where ever it was purchased, and swap it. Now you have to lodge your purchase with GMC then call them to lodge a complaint. They will then send someone out within 2 weeks to check the product and then if they decide its faulty they will swap you for a new one.

I guess if you already have one with the old warrenty system you might be able to push GMC to let you go to the place of purchase and swap it.....Maybe.

Andrew

Re: Information / Reviews of heat guns

Originally posted by Sarg link=1164000407/15#17 date=1198760059
    They will then send someone out within 2 weeks to check the product and then if they decide its faulty they will swap you for a new one.
    Andrew
    And Ill bet that "someone" - unlike the staff at Bunnings - will be "tech savvy" >

And will determine (pretty quickly) that the unit has been overworked..... used outside its defined operating parameters (tripping a thermal fuse or by the general heat patterns on the gun body....) in which case it will be - bad luck

Get a Ryobi.... they (like some well known batteries)..... keep going long after the others have died

Comment

Ditto JavaB - I cant stand the lack of expertise generally at Bunnings and I dont like rubbish tools. There are some tools where I require a good set up - for example I recently bought an 18V AEG industrial cordless drill because it needs to do a lot of work. I purchased a DG series Hitachi corded drill years ago for drilling hundreds of foot long holes through hardwood railway sleepers with an auger bit - its still going strong, low geared and immensely powerful. However I have also in the past purchased a GMC steel docking saw, because its a simple tool compared to a cordless drill say (with the attendant need for top quality batteries, advanced charging unit, balanced design and gearbox etc) and doesnt need to do a lot of work at my place...I weld and fabricate things, but do so infrequently.

Generally though when I get cheaper tools I go for Ryobi and seriously you just cannot beat them for value...I now know the rep for that company in Qld and it really is good gear for the dough. Personally I would go that route pretty much every time now as against say GMC.

My Ryobi fully variable heat gun is going great guns (!).

Cheers

Comment

I agree, Ryobi are reliable and good value for your dollar, Ive done 30 roasts with mine now and its working a treat!!!

Comment

Re: Re: Heatgun Discussion.....

Sorry Mal but I thought the infornation was very relevant to the other thread as it discussed a change to the warranty previously stated in another post and anyone searching that thread to possibly make a purchace, could and probably would, find the info usefull. Its not a pro/con its information directly relating to a previously posted heatgun.

At 3 bunnings stores nearest me there are people who can answer anything anybody could throw at them in each dept. The situation is we open 6.30am to 9pm weekdays and both weekends though not as long days and unfortunatly they cant be there 7 days a week 14 1/2 hours a day during the week. We run between 70 and 150 team members per store and again unfortunalty they all cant have qualifications... so you just have to make sure you speak to the right people. At the rothwell store, where I work, we have an electrician, 2 horticulturists, a guy whos been in the paint industry his whole life hes now in hes 60s, 2 carpenters a plumber and a tiler. The experiance is there it just cant be there all the time.

Andrew

Comment

Mal,

Whilst I agree the above is off topic.... in the strict sense... I also believe a MOD should edit the original post to correct information which is no longer true....

If a member of CS buys the GMC on the understanding gained from that post.... and it fails (as Im sure it will).... they wont be very happy when they go to return the gun.... find they have to wait 2 weeks to have a GMC expert check it.... and in all probability find it wont be replaced because it has been abused (not used as designed with low duty cycle)....

There must be (IMHO) a mechanism put in place where errors or changes in conditions to the items described in these information posts are reflected in the post.... so that members here can make an informed decision.

Maybe a PM to a mod is the way... but I think it is important it be done!

Comment

Seconded.

Comment

Re: Heatgun Discussion.....

Originally posted by JavaB link=1198760060/0#5 date=1198841580
                Mal,

Whilst I agree the above is off topic.... in the strict sense... I also believe a MOD should edit the original post to correct information which is no longer true....

If a member of CS buys the GMC on the understanding gained from that post.... and it fails (as Im sure it will).... they wont be very happy when they go to return the gun.... find they have to wait 2 weeks to have a GMC expert check it.... and in all probability find it wont be replaced because it has been abused (not used as designed with low duty cycle)....

There must be (IMHO) a mechanism put in place where errors or changes in conditions to the items described in these information posts are reflected in the post.... so that members here can make an informed decision.

Maybe a PM to a mod is the way... but I think it is important it be done!
                Yep,

Sounds like a good idea.... If someone wants to write up a correction for that heatgun Ill edit it in to the original,

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

Re: Heatgun Discussion.....

Originally posted by Sarg link=1198760060/0#4 date=1198839433
                  Sorry Mal but I thought the infornation was very relevant to the other thread as it discussed a change to the warranty previously stated in another post and anyone searching that thread to possibly make a purchace, could and probably would, find the info usefull. Its not a pro/con its information directly relating to a previously posted heatgun.
                  Yes mate, I gathered all that from the original post you made but the trouble is, something that could be highlighted as an edit into the original description, then escalates into a discussion that deviates away from the original intent of the Heatgun Review thread. What JB has suggested seems like a good way to deal with it and one that I would prefer. Thanks for the info though Sarg , it will no doubt be handy for anyone who was considering the purchase of one of these units,

Cheers,
                  Mal.

Comment

Mal,

I think you could simply cut:

GMC have changed their warranty system so you can no longer take it back to the place of purchase, and swap it. Now you have to lodge your purchase with GMC then call them to lodge a complaint. They will then send someone out within 2 weeks to check the product and then if they decide its faulty they will swap it for a new one.

and paste it in as Note 3:

(minor edits to Sargs original post to make it more generic.... with apology to Sarg and thanks for the info)

Comment

Sorry fellas - my post went off on a large tangent.

Cheers

Comment

With regards to GMC heatguns and Bunnings, I figured it was worth trying to return my six month old GMC with another faulty 3 week old Ryobi, in the hope of using the credit to get the you beaut Ryobi or Makita. As I walked into the store I noticed the sign on the front counter saying, in effect, that if the customer is not satisfied with any product purchased at Bunnings, they will refund in full. After 15 minutes of repeatedly and politely saying that I wasnt satisfied with the GMC and I expected Bunnings to honour their sign, I got my refund. Also got the refund on the other heatgun, that was never questioned, and purchased the Makita HG1100.

Havent been back there since, however I suspect that the sign may have been replaced very quickly. :P

Comment

GMC cant circumvent NSW consumer laws.

Your transaction was with Bunnings; they are obliged by law to deal with you, not fob you off to GMC.
                          A NSW consumer with a product that is "not fit for purpose" or that does not meet expectations has the choice of:
                          - Repair
                          - Replacement
                          - Refund.

YOUR CHOICE not theirs.

Expectations include things a salesmen told you (if you can prove they said it).

Once Bunnings deal with their transaction with you, then they have the same rights and can approach GMC as the consumer and return the faulty product.

Manufacturers and retailers cannot disenfanchise you of your statutory rights, no matter what they write where.

Good on you Viviane for politely sticking to your guns (pun intended).

Comment

Thundergod,

It all depends on "not fit for purpose"

If you were trying to use the gun for paint stripping or bending a plastic pipe..... there would be no argument that you are correct..... both are intermittent applications which fit within the definition of the "purpose"....

But aimed into a bowl and run non stop for 20 minutes.... I dont believe qualifies!!!

The only exception would be if GMC, or the salesperson stated (or inferrred) it was capable of such application. And I doubt that would happen.

I have some GMC gear which when used for light intermittent applications - works fine..... and that is within the purpose for which it was designed (and bought).

Comment

Its been many years since my father worked as a builder and hes since passed away so I cant ask him, so Ill ask the question here:
                              Is 20 minutes straight trying to strip paint too long?
                              (And imagine I mean in fiddly corners and the like to compare to a bowl scenario.)

Im not likely to ever get away with returning my Ozito HG because the plastic body has warped considerably, so questions WOULD be asked.
                              And Ive already decided that despite the 3 year warranty, Ive already gotten my moneys worth out of it.
                              I figure that if they offer 3 years instead of 1 its likely to last for quite some time yet.

P.S. I bought the Aldi one the other day. 12 month warranty from date of purchase, so Ill probably put it into use to get some value from it (only $20) and if it dies, the Ozito can come back online.

P.P.S. My Ozito says it can be used for , "silver soldering, thawing frozen pipes and lighting bbq heat beads". No sign of a time limit.

Tha Aldi gun says to "not apply to the same place for a long time" but that appears to be more related to not damaging the item being heated.
                              This bit though appears to be relevant to mususe by CSs, "Do not operate the unit when pointed downward."

Comment

Working...
                              X