Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GENE CAFE  Advice please Life Expectancy/Prob

HI ALL

Im new to roasting ( and to this site, though Ive been reading it lots lately...) and Im considering buying a Gene Cafe Roaster, and would like advice please.

Im considering whether to buy a second hand Gene Cafe thats less than a year old and used a fair bit by an enthusiastic CSer OR to buy a new one from one of the CS Sponsors.

Ive read that most users are very happy with them and Ive read that the early ones may have had some problems...

From what I have read it seems these machines are new in production... ie? 2 1/2 years and brought into AUS for 1 1/2 years,

and I wonder:

a) what their life expectancy MIGHT be

b) whether Gene Cafe owners have had problems with them and

c) whether the latest model, has been improved by the company over the last year.

It seems a pity to spend more money that is neccesary if the used machine is working well and might continue doing so for many years. And it seems good to support a fellow CSer

I would appreciate your wisdom and experience.

Thanks all and regards
    Robert

Re: GENE CAFE  Advice please Life Expectancy/

Perhaps too awkward a question. Not want to put people on the spot

How about:

Any owners: how reliable and robust have you found the Gene Cafe to be?

Has anyone had any problems with them?

Id love to hear

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RobertMac link=1199617883/0#1 date=1199702513
      Perhaps too awkward a question. Not want to put people on the spot  

How about:

Any owners: how reliable and robust have you found the Gene Cafe to be?

Besides throwing it around? Reliable AND Robust. Mine lives in a plastic carry container with locking lid in which the GC lives inside covered in plastic to keep the dust off....and every weekend when I fire it up, it keeps on delivering, post 9 months.

Has anyone had any problems with them?

Short answer: No.

If I could recommend a roasting machine for the prosumer....the GC wins hands down. I dont think I can advocate enough about it.

Hope this helps
      -Linda

Comment

Re: GENE CAFE  Advice please Life Expectancy/Prob

FWIW, my two have done somewhere between 150 and 200kg in the last 12 months and havent missed a beat....

Chris

Comment

Thanks
          Im getting the picture

Comment

Ill add me 2c worth... started off roasting with a popcorn popper... worked quickly that Id never persist with that option... looked at heatgun/breadmaker and similar options, too much fiddle and hidden cost (timers, stands etc etc)... bought a GC, after some consideration, about 6 months ago... never looked back... not perfect, but plenty good enough for my needs.

Michael.

Comment

Thanks mj

Im hearing pretty consistent positive feedback from Gene Cafe owners and not any real problems with them except perhaps with some of the first model of it.

I get its only been in production for 2 years or so, so nobody has any long term experience with them. So no one can say how long they are likely to last, but judging by so few problems it would probably be many years.

Ive decided to get one and begin my roasting career there.

Thanks again

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by mj link=1199617883/0#5 date=1199764508
                too much fiddle and hidden cost (timers, stands etc etc)
                Thats laying it on a bit thick mate..... $10 for a timer, $12 for a stand and if you dont own a heatgun or a BM then well yes, a $20 HG will get you going and probably run for about 12 months (mine did) and BMs are easily acquired for up to $40 max from any number of sources. Yep, lot of hidden costs there alright.... NOT

Mal.

Comment

$12 for a timer?

I have a bridge you might be interested in..............

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1199617883/0#8 date=1199792691
                    $12 for a timer?

Have you had a look in BigW lately TG????

Mal.

Comment

Got my latest one from junk shop for about $5.
                      Large LCD display.
                      Sits up nicely as opposed to my old stopwatch which had to be propped on something.

Comment

$12 for a timer?

Well, what are you going on about here then TG :-?...... Seems like youre saying it cant be done and then you turn around and say you bought one for $5.00? Anyway, my Timer cost me $10.00 brand new not $12... That was for the ubiquitous Drill Stand from Bunnings,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks all who have contributed to a discussion about this.

Ive decided to order a new one from Chris at Talk Coffee so that I will have a new machine to play/learn with and have a full years warranty

I feel more confident about the GC now and will find out the answers to my questions in a more hands on fashion  

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1199617883/0#11 date=1199796663
                            $12 for a timer?  

Well, what are you going on about here then TG :-?...... Seems like youre saying it cant be done and then you turn around and say you bought one for $5.00? Anyway, my Timer cost me $10.00 brand new not $12... That was for the ubiquitous Drill Stand from Bunnings,

Mal.
                            LOL - I got ripped off at K-Mart and paid $16.00...rats! ;D

Robert: All the best with your new gene. Good to see another home roaster joining the club.

Comment

Thanks Dennis

And we really enjoyed meeting you and Sue on Sunday.

And many thanks for your generosity in demonstrating your GC to me. Sorry I chose to go with a new one and not yours

Its very probable I will seeking lots of advice from you and other GC users in near future

Warm Regards
                              Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X