Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corretto Improvements

Hi everyone,

For those that have been following the roaster thread you may have seen some of my posts re Corretto set up.

On 1st November I showed a simple way to reduce chaff and heat being drawn back into the HG, follow this link for photo. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1154442377/144#144

After thinking for a while , it occurred to me that most of the heat produced is blown straight out the top of the bin, unlike in the proprietary machines like the GC or Hottop, where the heat is channeled through the body and out through a filter arrangement.

What all this means is that a HG must produce more heat (a problem with smaller capacity HGs) than is really required to complete the roast, this must shorten the life of the HG and can produce a patchy roast.

What I have come up with is the most basic of modifications as seen in the picture all I have done is cut a vent plate (lid) out of sheet aluminium, this does several things:

a) reduces heat input......... I am now roasting at approx 310c at the nozzle, previously approx 380c
    b) My HG Makita thermocouple is now set to 3 -3.5 (half power) previously 4.5 - 5, this obviously has less stain on the HG
    c) No need to adjust the height of the HG as temp control can be made using the vent plate
    d) Shorter roast times as there is less heat loss
    e) more even roasts

The HG nozzle is just inside the bin, the plate is cut to fit around and slides about the top of the bin, you need pliers or gloves to move the plate as it gets very hot.

By moving the vent plate during the roast temp is easily varied, you can still see the beans, chaff and heat are further directed away from HG inlet, I do still have a fan blowing though.

My two latest roasts are a Peru Grace Villa and an Indian Chikmagalur, both took about 20% less time to roast, coloured up nicely to CS 9 - 10, just on first snaps SC and are superior to previous roasts.

So Corretto roasters give it a go and see if your own roasts improve, then post your results for us all to see.

Cheers Gazz

Re: Corretto Improvements

Good work Gaz I will give it a try, would the harder African bean roasts be affected by the shorter roast times?

Comment

Brilliant idea! I gotta try this as Im having some issues trying to control the rate of rise of temps with the current setup with fixed height/ var temp HG as well as fixed temp/ adjustable height and a BM that terminates the knead cycle after 24 minutes (although instruction book says 26 minutes).

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1200789910/0#1 date=1200791576
        Good work Gaz I will give it a try, would the harder African bean roasts be affected by the shorter roast times?
        I dont think so as there is more retained heat in the bin which seems to give a more stable temp in the bean mass, temp ramping has a more linear increase as well.

My last Peru GV roast dropped from 16 mins to just over 13 mins for 300gm

the main thing is that there is less stress on the HG to produce max heat for a long period.

Gazz

Comment

PS to above

First C at 9.30mins @ 214c SC 13.20mins @ 230c

These crack temps are the same as my previous roasts

pulled just on SC starting , finished colour CS 9

Start 300gm finish weight 245gm

Taste after 48 hrs ab fab

Gazz

Comment

Id be a bit cautious of making the roast too quick there Gazz. The end result could be a popper style roast with the beans becoming quite bright and possibly bitter.

Another issue is visibility. With the aluminium lid over the top of the bowl it must be hard to see and judge the roast.

Kind of reminds me of a similar mod I did way back ...........
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1154442377/106#106

I found this was only needed on freezing cold days or extremely windy days. I dont much bother with it now, but can come in handy as previously mentioned.

Anyway, its fun to play

Belinda

Comment

Originally posted by Corretto link=1200789910/0#5 date=1200802316
              Id be a bit cautious of making the roast too quick there Gazz. The end result could be a popper style roast with the beans becoming quite bright and possibly bitter.

Anyway, its fun to play

Belinda

Points well taken Belinda.

However I did not mean that by covering the pan in such a way that the cover becomes a tight fitting lid, judicious use to control temp ramping and heat retention with less heat input is what I seem to have achieved, where as in some circumstances ie windy or lower power HGs the cover has some benefited the roast by not having a really long roast time, which can be as bad as too short a roast time.

I really only have the cover on about 70% of the bin so can still watch (get mesmerized) as the beans go round.

Also it eliminates the need for raising or lowering the HG.

I suppose my post was meant to stimulate other CSs into trying something different.

As you say its fun to play

Cheers Gazz

Comment

Regarding outside influences affecting the roast, when Perth had its heat wave and it was 44C I did a roast, it must have been 50-55C in my garage but being short on roasted beans I went ahead, got to first crack just before desired mark, I raised the gun but the roast went to second crack in just over 2 minutes and caught me by surprise, they have cupped ok so it wasnt a wasted effort.

Comment

Gazz,

How did you get the bean temperature? Where does the temperature sensor go in this case?
                  Do you just put it somewhere inside a bin?

Cheers,

Viktor

Comment

Hi Viktor

TC is in the bottom of the bin

A second TC is just under the HG nozzle

Follow this link for photos of my set up, also there is lots of info in the roasters section in the forum.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/Gazz51/Correto/

PM or email me if you need more specific info

Cheers Gazz

Comment

Working...
                    X