Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Remy Roaster - in the making :)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Remy Roaster - in the making :)

    and I need a little prodding please to get this thing made.

    I plan to use this mesh box to make the barrel. Found it in K-Mart about week ago, and Im almost embarrassed to admit that I asked for it to marked down because it was damaged [smiley=evil.gif] and not a good look if it was to be used for its real purpose. Ok,. I was secretly killing myself larfin while waiting for them to mark it down because I knew it was about to be butchered. It was $20, marked down to $12, and it was worth it just to hear my kids say,.. "OMG mum,..youre so tight" whaahahaha!


    Anyway, I digress again... I need to check a few things with you first;
    1. Before I butcher it, does this mesh look ok to use?. It looks like stainless steel to me. It wouldnt be gal would it?

    2. What size should I make the barrel? I would like to be able the roast enough to keep me happy for a week. I have about 3 coffees a day, but say 40 -50 shots, to include ramdoms and increase in consumption because of improved quality in the cup. I cant remember how many grams in the 6919 double basket. I usually only do doubles because I need two in the mornings,. sometimes hubby or my daughter will drink the second at other times, and if not, I save the second for iced coffee and thanks to you lot,...now also frappes and affagotto.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

    3. Best to just use Pop Rivets yes?

    4. Any (pre-cut/perfect for the job) neat ideas about what to use for those internal speed hump thingies, which encourage bean movement?

    I plan to use this BBQ burner, but didnt know exactly how until this afternoon when I saw the Soupcan Roaster idea poster here on CS.



    I plan to use my dremel (minus the coil cutter attachment) with some tin snips, to help me butcher the mesh box and file down rough edges.  I then hope to use it as my rotisserie motor.


    I will need to source a suitably sized funnel to fit around the gas ring, something for the end of my barrel to hold the rotisserrie pole :-?,..and a rotisserie pole.

    5. Can you see any obvious floorserm..I mean flaws :-[ in my plans?  Could this work or am I just dreamin?

    EDITED TO ADD: If you can figure out why my pics wont show,.. Ill fix them  :-[ .  have enabled HotLink to include CoffeeSnobs,... soaaardunno.

    EDITED TO ADD: Obviously fixed now.




  • #2
    Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

    Wow, building my Corretto was a breeze compared to your project, good luck with it, hope to see some pics soon.........................

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

      Gday Remy,

      Where abouts do you have the images stored.... On a hosting site or your PC? There is a brief guide on how to download/attach images here that might be helpful for you,

      Cheers,
      Mal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

        Originally posted by Remy link=1201764804/0#0 date=1201764803
        ... Can you see any obvious floors in my plans?
        er, no ... but make sure the walls have plenty of windows for optimal ventilation! ;D

        Sorry Remy, couldnt resist :

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

          Originally posted by greenman link=1201764804/0#1 date=1201766276
          Wow, building my Corretto was a breeze compared to your project, good luck with it, hope to see some pics soon.........................
          Pics fixed.
          I kinda need to make do with what I have. I dont have a breadmaker, or a heat gun and think I might be able to get what I want with an outlay of $12. Though I might be tempted to go buy some pop rivets instead of spending two hours searching for them on the disorganised garage.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

            Originally posted by Mal link=1201764804/0#2 date=1201766481
            Gday Remy,

            Where abouts do you have the images stored.... On a hosting site or your PC? There is a brief guide on how to download/attach images here that might be helpful for you,

            Cheers,
            Mal.
            Thanks Mal.. pics up now. I store them on my web server. Was a problem with HotLink ignoring my permission for coffeesnobs to access the images. Probably just a lag in the server or something,.. I just disabled hotlink altogether for now and that fixed it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

              Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1201764804/0#3 date=1201766752
              Originally posted by Remy link=1201764804/0#0 date=1201764803
              ... Can you see any obvious floors in my plans?
              er, no ... but make sure the walls have plenty of windows for optimal ventilation! ;D

              Sorry Remy, couldnt resist :
              Youll keep [smiley=evil.gif]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

                Hi Remy

                Q1. Easy test - try a magnet. If it doesnt attract its high-grade stainless (or non-iron based); if it attracts a little its low grade stainless (or non-iron based); if it attracts a lot its probably gal, powder-coated or painted. Coming from K-mart, Id be surprised if its stainless (too expensive).

                Q2. Ideally, heat distribution needs to be even, so if you have a way of dispersing the flame from that existing jet it will help immensely and also govern the length of the barrel. Take a look at how a regular barbie works to get a better idea.

                Q3. Most pop rivets are aluminium, though dont see why they wouldnt do the job.

                Q4. The baffles! Perhaps some right-angled aluminium might do the job. You should be able to find it in your local hardware.

                Hope that helps!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

                  Stay away from Aluminium. Bad stuff.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

                    Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1201764804/0#8 date=1201776260
                    Stay away from Aluminium. Bad stuff.
                    Ill happily defer to your wisdom David, though might be more helpful to Remy (and others) if you would offer an appropriate alternative.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

                      Hi Remy

                      Im trying to work out your proposed system - Im a bit slow on these things. What to house the beans in when roasting, how will the dremel work (and where to place it so it wont get heated). Is the mesh for a cooling tray as well as housing the unit? Hmm...interesting.

                      You appear to have an inventive, imaginative mind. Good luck with putting it together. Maybe the "Remy" will be up there with the "Corretto" when its done. Will definitely watch this space.

                      Greg

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

                        Thanks heaps Dennis
                        Originally posted by Dennis link=1201764804/0#7 date=1201774866
                        Q1.  Easy test - try a magnet. If it doesnt attract its high-grade stainless (or non-iron based); if it attracts a little its low grade stainless (or non-iron based); if it attracts a lot its probably gal, powder-coated or painted.  Coming from K-mart, Id be surprised if its stainless (too expensive).
                        Oh shoot!! I just tried the magnet on it and I think I have either low grade stainless, or powder coated gal, and yep from K-mart, so more likely to be gal then. : Im assuming I cant use it then??! Oh well *sigh*,..might have to invest two minutes to knock it back into a nice shape and use it to store my green beans instead  :-/ .

                        Originally posted by Dennis link=1201764804/0#7 date=1201774866
                        Q2.  Ideally, heat distribution needs to be even, so if you have a way of dispersing the flame from that existing jet it will help immensely and also govern the length of the barrel.  Take a look at how a regular barbie works to get a better idea.
                        Of course,.I should get the base organised before I decide length of barrel. Thinking of a steel tube-like structure to sit nicely around the jets and funnel up the heat to the barrel. I wonder if a large steel steamer pan would do. It has a base of course, but with holes, so I would imagine there would be less flame heat and more radiant heat with this,. whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I havent a clue. Think I will play with that tomorrow and see how it goes. Failing that... will have a look in the hardware store for something,...oh and something for the barrel too *snif*.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

                          Originally posted by Dennis link=1201764804/0#9 date=1201776865
                          Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1201764804/0#8 date=1201776260
                          Stay away from Aluminium. Bad stuff.
                          Ill happily defer to your wisdom David, though might be more helpful to Remy (and others) if you would offer an appropriate alternative.
                          yep ... waiting, waiting ... :-?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

                            Originally posted by Remy link=1201764804/0#0 date=1201764803
                            1. Before I butcher it, does this mesh look ok to use?. It looks like stainless steel to me. It wouldnt be gal would it?
                            Ive seen these in K-Mart too. Not sure what theyre made of, but didnt look like stainless to me.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Remy Roaster - in the making

                              Originally posted by GregJW link=1201764804/0#10 date=1201778161
                              Hi Remy

                              Im trying to work out your proposed system - Im a bit slow on these things. What to house the beans in when roasting, how will the dremel work (and where to place it so it wont get heated). Is the mesh for a cooling tray as well as housing the unit? Hmm...interesting.

                              You appear to have an inventive, imaginative mind. Good luck with putting it together. Maybe the "Remy" will be up there with the "Corretto" when its done. Will definitely watch this space.

                              Greg
                              Hi Greg,. heres my thinking. I want to roast more than 1/2 a cup at a time which is all I can do in the popcorn popper. I would also enjoy having more control over the roast and be able to slow it down, so I originally thought of making a barrel as seen here on CS, to suit a rotisserie toaster oven, but I cant find 2nd hand toaster oven with rotisserie anywhere despite looking actively for a few weeks now. I dont want to pay $150 for a new one.

                              I like the idea of being able to use the BBQ,...but forgot about the side burner until today. The side burner appeals to me even more as I wont need to fire up the whole barbie, which I imagine would be harder to control the heat the way you want it. I also wont have to worry about the grease still on the barbie. Its also plumbed natural gas, and outdoors,..perfect.

                              I was planning to cut up the metal mesh box and use it to make the barrel, however the mesh might not be suitable metal and looks like I might need to hunt for something else.

                              The Dremel will be used to rotate the barrel which will sit just above a tube-like structure which will funnel the heat up from the jets.

                              About keeping the dremel cool,.. probably small fan??



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X