My Corretto ... MK11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Corretto ... MK11

In its first incarnation, I used a microphone boom stand to hold the heat gun and had no means of inserting the thermocouple probe. Plus all the bits and pieces required multiple trips to the shed and back

So for the MK11, I wanted repeatable & adjustable heat gun positioning, adjustable probe insertion plus a better solution to portability/quick setup.

The heat gun mount was whipped with timber from old futon base, its bolted to the side of the corretto and the slide up/down height adjustment and end of roast gun removal is quickly facilitated with the screwdriver.
    I used a heavy duty microphone clip to hold the gun in place.

Probe insertion has height options for different roast sizes and the holes in the timber block securely hold the probe by its plastic body rather than its metal shaft.

Ive been operating with this setup very sucessfully for many roasts and by using the BM without its lid/cover.

I have recently modified the lid [as per photo], so that when closed, it intentionally seals the the "airgap" between the bowl and the rest of the BM. The idea here is to improve the insulation and heat retention of the unit.
    The opening of the bowl is reduced by about 15%
    This new lid is untried, probably not necessary and may or may not improve things but l thought its worth a try.
    Will post on this later.

Following are some photos of the new set up, and my MK11 Bean cooler.

All is good.

Re: My Corretto ... MK11

This is the new bean cooler, made using one of those upright square floor fans.
    [I found this one in a skip, but have seen similar at Target for under $25]

I use it upright to cool the heat gun and blow away the chaff during the roast and then tip it on its back [using 4 x door stops as legs] for the bean cooling phase.

I place an inverted washtub basin with a colander mounted into its base over the top if the fan and can cool a 600g roast down to ambient temp in under a minute.

Comment

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Nice work Reubster! Perhaps I made a mistake by trying to allow my breadmaker to still make bread as I wasnt prepared to hack it around like that! Ive always found the plastic around the end of the HG gets pretty melted sitting too far into the bowl. Gotta love that cooling system too, maybe you could sell the idea to the people who make the Gene Cafe, sounds like they could use a better cooling system!

Very well done!

Greg

Comment

Nice setup Ruebster, youve made it easy to move and looks very functional. Love the bean cooler setup too, well done.

Comment

Good idea on taking the glass out, Hadnt thought of that one.
          I think i will give that a go and see how it alters my roast profiles.

Mal

Comment

While were on the subject, heres my MkII as of tonight. My HG died so I upgraded to a Ryobi. Ive now mounted a small on-board fan instead of using my bean cooler. I hope its big enough! For those that havent seen my previous posts, the gun sits in a steel cradle made of 6mm steel rod which slides inside a length of aluminium tubing. The bulldog clip secures the rod at any height I want. Oh, MkII also comes with "REMOVE PROBE" warnings.

Evan.

Comment

Originally posted by bolb link=1202170402/0#4 date=1202208336
              Good idea on taking the glass out, Hadnt thought of that one.
              Actually, it was a lot more complicated than that.
              On my BM, the plastic opening around the glass square was about 6cm x 6cm and I thought that would have been too small [HG tip & plastic lid would have melted and the chaff exit would be blocked]

So I had to seperate the aluminium lining from the plastic lid, then work out the best way to enlarge the opening in the lid so as to cover the "airgap" but still  give clearance around the HG.
              Once this was done I had to cut, bend and refit the aluminium lining to suit.
              To be honest, inside, it aint pretty, but  since that lid is full of angles  it was never going to be perfect.

I havent tried a roast with the lid yet and I dont really expect  there will be any improvement, but I did run the system [beanless] up to 240C and held it there for 20min and nothing melted.

One of the main reasons I modified the lid is to see if it has any effect on the probe reading.
              In my case, FC always occurs around 185C [per the probe/DMM] and SC around 195C.
              Ive tried different heights within the bean mass and different HG positions with only marginal change.
              Only about 10mm of the tip is in the bowl, the majority of the probe is in the airgap between the bowl and the BM so I suspect this is what pulls  the  reading down.

I appreciate that having the probe reading low is a non issue since were really interested in the profile, but unfortunately Im one of those people who just has to know why.

Anywhoo, Ill do a roast in the next few day and will post my findings.

PS Evan.....................I love your "remove the probe warning" but even if I did that Id still forget.

Comment

Evan, I was inspired by one of your other posts to set up my Corretto with a similar HG holder. However, my HG sits further down into the steel cradle and I have extended the free end of the steel loop to form a handle. This allows me to spread the steel loop with the handle and then angle the HG in any direction and so fine tune where in the BM bowl the heat is being directed to.

I didnt use a clip for height adjustment, but rather, I used a gadget that you put on a drill bit in order to limit the depth you can drill. It simply involves a metal tube with a bolt through it, which is tightened onto the drill bit. I put this over the tube and lined a hole in the tube up with the bolt in the gadget. When the bolt is tightened it presses onto the steel rod making it very firm and stopping all movement.

I also have used a little fan mounted on the BM (independent, like minded inspiration). Mine however is from an old computer and sits adjacent to the HGs air vents. It does a great job of cooling and keeping the chaff away. If mine works yours should be fine.

So thanks for the orginal idea of the HG holder.

Comment

Glad to hear it Jacs. Maybe you could post some pics for us to see your invention?

Evan.

Comment

Evan, the little fan looks like the one I purchased from Bunnings for my Corretto, it does a great job, I use it to cool heat gun then place it under my cooling frame to cool the beans it does a great job for $10!!!!!!!
                    I love all the different ideas CSers come up with for their Correttos. Ive set mine up on a workbench in garage as a permanent fixture with heatgun on a sliding shaft, after finishing roast I just slide it up the shaft out of the way until next roast.
                    I occasionally get caught out with probe when second crack takes off and Im rushing to get beans to cooler!!!

Comment

Thanks Greenman, thats a relief. I was really worried that it wouldnt perform as well as my bean cooler (ceiling fan in bucket). Ill try my 1st roast with the new HG & fan in the next couple of days.

Comment

Christened the new lid last night.

500g Peru Villa Grace Estate.

Twasnt my best roast because I used a lower HG setting 400C [normally 550C] and I wast exactly sure at what height to set the gun so things took a little too long: FC [14m20s] and SC [18m45s]
                        But it was otherwise OK.

The displayed temperature did rise by about 10C [195FC/205SC] so I believe I confirmed my theory that my probe was losing some heat through the gap between the bowl and the BM.
                        If getting an exact temp measuremet was an important driver, better insulation and /or sealing of this gap may be worth considering.

Also, as Belinda and Gazz has pointed out, you can run the HG at lower settings.

Otherwise I cant say it offers any noticable improvement to operating without the lid.
                        In fact the negatives: a higher retention of chaff, less visibility & more steps [time] to remove the beans, probably outweigh any gains.

Comment

Id avoid the lid. Youll get the pan too hot & also risk overheating the gun. Ive already cooked one HG. Fortunately my gun died just before 2nd crack while roasting 500g of Peru. The radiated heat managed to get the beans up to temp & second crack started. I think this was my best roast ever! The dead HG taught me a valuable lesson. Next time I might switch off the gun when I hear the first snap & let it go another 30 secs.

Evan

Comment

Originally posted by reubster link=1202170402/0#11 date=1202442575
                            Christened the new lid last night.
                            Otherwise I cant say it offers any noticable improvement to operating without the lid.
                            In fact the negatives: a higher retention of chaff, less visibility & more steps [time] to remove the beans, probably outweigh any gains.
                            Usually when I reach SC I want to get beans onto cooling rack ASAP so a lid would hamper a fast transfer, its hard enough remembering to remove the probe. Maybe some insulation around the bucket where probe goes in would help stabilise probe temerature?

Comment

Reubster - nice. How do you go letting the chaff out...I find the lid opened lets it fly out.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X