Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my B&D Hot n Pop?

Hi all.  1st post, 2nd home roast.  8-)

I have a B&D Hot n Pop and am having problems with my roast times.

My first popper roast was using some home grown beans. About 50g and roasted for about 20 mins.  I heard 1st crack but not second.  The resulting coffee was OK but seemed to have a woody taste. Under roasted??

My second roast was using some beans from a local cafe.  Not sure how much I roasted, probably about half a cup.  The beans were spinning slowly at first.  Ended up roasting these for 32 min.  They ended up a very similar colour to some pre-roasted beans from the same cafe. I still dont think I got to 2nd crack.

So,  is there something wrong with my popper?  

Re: Problem with my B&D Hot n Pop?

Something doesnt sound right there! An unmodified popper like that should put out enough heat to incinerate the beans in under 10mins! Sounds like its tripping the built-in thermostat, so may not be allowing it to get hot enough. Its pretty easy to bypass the thermostat, but it involves pulling the popper apart, if youre comfortable with doing that sort of thing. Theres plenty of web sites detailing how to do this. Most poppers, regardless of make, are very similar internally. I have the same popper as yours, but Ive done a lot of modifications to it.

regards,
    Bill

Comment

Most poppers tripping the thermostat will stop the popper in its tracks (no heat and no fan).

Those times are waaay too long.

Consistancy is the key to problem solving.
      "Probably half a cup" doesnt help you or us to diagnose the problem.

If 50g took 20 minutes, try 100g.
      The extra bean mass should retain more heat and speed up the roast.

See how that goes. My old popper wouldnt hold more trhan 100g.

Comment

As per all the above - should be 5 mins or so in your un-modified B&D (which is the kind I use with the PID Controller).

The fans in these things vary a bit - and that determines how many beans you can put in. My original one would do 140g roasts. The latest does 115g - but only if you stir the beans till they dry a little and get lighter.

Air flow through the fan is critical to keep the popper working! If you put in too much bean mass ("beans move not at all") then the airflow is reduced and it gets hotter. Too hot for the plastic fan which then melts, less airflow, more heat, more melt and that funny smell... :

If you overload the thing, there is a thermal overload which will trip and shut the whole thing down, as TG pointed out. There is also a thermal fuse that can go. If this goes, it doesnt work again till you replace the fuse (a "non servicable" part).

The collective popper wisdom seems to be: load with 85g --> 120g of beans. Less mass gives longer roasts (to a limited degree).

Hope this helps!

Cheers
        /Kevin

Comment

I weighed the roasted beans at 65g. So I roasted roughly whatever that works out at with green beens.

Ive made a few cup using this roast now. 36 and 48 hrs after roasting. Both tasted nearly as good as the freshly roasted beans I normally get.

The crema wasnt the best though. Dont know why? Maybe under roasted?

Anyway, 60 or 70 g of green beans should take less than 30m in a B&D Hot n pop i would think.

Comment

Originally posted by greencardigan link=1203309252/0#4 date=1203482557
            I weighed the roasted beans at 65g.  So I roasted roughly whatever that works out at with green beens.

Ive made a few cup using this roast now.  36 and 48 hrs after roasting.  Both tasted nearly as good as the freshly roasted beans I normally get.

The crema wasnt the best though.  Dont know why? Maybe under roasted?

Anyway, 60 or 70 g of green beans should take less than 30m in a B&D Hot n pop i would think.
            Yep, should take much, much less than that time! Thats way too slow. Try increasing it to 80g and see how that goes. More beans = more airflow restriction = higher temp.

regards,
            Bill

Comment

So in general, poppers roast too quick?

Whats a roughly ideal time to reach second crack when roasting in general?

Comment

Too quick? Yup! When I did my first roast it was 5 to 6 mins all up. About 4 or so to FC.

Collective wisdom is that the gap between FC and SC should be extended for proper flavour development. Six minutes is usually quoted as a target to shoot for.

Unfortunately, you cant do this with an un-modified popper.

Having said all that, you can still do darn good tasting roasts! But you can do a lot better. There are a lot of threads on this kind of stuff here on the BB.

/Kevin

Comment

Yep something sounds wrong to me. Im currently using a B&D Hotn Pop,. and the longest roast I can get from this thing is 4min to FC and 7min to SC and pulled almost immediately on SC before I get charcoal. One roast I even had a huuuuuuge 1min gap between FC & SC :.
                  These poppers pack a punch and roast waay too fast,.. usually.

Comment

I found that when I used my daughters B&D popper (which I killed doing 5 roasts in a row!!), the roasts were very quick and with larger beans I had to agitate them with a chop stick to stop them burning on the bottom of chamber. I know heaps of CSers do modifications, chimneys, ventilation etc. After mine died I went the Corretto path and havent looked back.

Comment

Is there anything wrong with roasting 100g for 30 minutes?

Comment

Yep, sure is!
                        How much heat are you getting out the top?
                        The air coming out should be pretty hot on your hand. You shouldnt be able to leave it there for long.
                        You seem to have a serious Lack of heat problem.
                        Any chance you can get your hands on a DMM with a thermocouple to tell you what the actual bean temp is inside the chamber?
                        This will tell you if you really have a problem.
                        FC is somewhere in the range 180 - 200 roughly.
                        If you arent getting anything like that, then maybe you need another popper.

Comment

I should have added that you should get to FC by 10 mins. 8 to 10 would be ideal.
                          My crazy popper would get there in 4 to 5 and that is slow a lot of poppers by all accounts.

Comment

Hi all.

Ive done another roast in my popper. 100g of home grown beans.

Different results this time. First crack started at 2:40. I ended the roast early due to the amount of beans getting blown out (no chimney).

I wouldnt have thought the amount of beans would have affected roast times this much??

Had a cup using these beans this morning and it tasted ok. A bit woody again. Is a woody taste due to under roasting or just due to the variety of bean?

Comment

How far did you get in the roast?
                              What colour have they ended up at? Do you have a CS membership card to give a colour reference?

How long has it been since you roasted them? Woody flavours can be due to under roasting, but can also be present when the beans have not rested for sufficient time post roast.

The other factor I think is possibly effecting your roasts is moisture content. How long have your home processed beans dried for and in what conditions?

Comment

Working...
                              X