Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Corretto: advice please

Hi everyone,

about to graduate from my popper to a corretto. ;D ;D have sourced an ozito hg, a drill stand, and a panasonic bm. the stirring arm of the bm seems to be made of plastic?! should i get a replacement before the trial run or will it be ok? any other advice on the "panasonic bread bakery SD - 250" would be appreciated.

In terms of the hg...is ok to have it pointed straight down? And should I use the flat noozle attachment to disperse the heat?

Cheers,

Kit

Re: New Corretto: advice please

Kit, if the stirrer is plastic, Im guessing it wont do. You might want to check this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1203762766.
    The other concern Id have is with the Ozito HG. I was quite happy with mine but unfortunately it didnt last very long at all. I suppose I mightve got a bad one.

Evan.

Comment

Hi smokeydeck,

Beware of plastic stirrers.... or anything else plastic within the area the beans will be..... It is most likely PTFE (one of the higher temperature plastics) and if so, not only will it become soft and melt, but it also decomposes at about 250C (and the paddle easily reaches that temperature) - giving off a quite noxious gas.... :P

So you really need a metal paddle (and check under them as well as some BMs have a PTFE bush.... which will also get too hot....)

Re heatgun.... dont think the Ozito will last for too many roasts . Dont use the spreader (that reduces the airflow and is more likely to overheat the gun) and have a fan blowing on the heatgun from the side.... that supplies cool air to the gun and blows away the chaff so it wont get sucked into the air inlets on the HG - and block them!

Comment

My Ozito lasted for 42 roasts (with a fan blowing on it and not using the spreader).

Comment

Thanks for the advice...i guess the first roast is delayed a bit.  will probably get a mate to fashion a paddle (or find another machine?)

I think I will have to suffer the fate of the ozito...at least it has a 3 year replacement.  
          Has anyone had problems claiming the warranty on the ozito?

Comment

I couldnt find my bloody receipt so that was the end of that! They did assure me that theyd replace it (or upgrade if I wanted) if I had the receipt.

Comment

thanks evan...i ripped the packaging off her already so Ill see how she goes. the receipt is taped to the inside of the case.

Comment

I have the receipt but it was obvious the gun was abused.

Comment

I have been using the paddle from a Panasonic BM for about a year now and there has been no problem, I would suggest giving it a try before you find a replacement.
                  Cheers
                  Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Billi link=1203835790/0#8 date=1203889932
                    I have been using the paddle from a Panasonic BM for about a year now and there has been no problem, I would suggest giving it a try before you find a replacement.
                    Cheers
                    Bruce
                    Billi,

Ive been smoking cigarettes for 40+ years :P :P..... and there has been no problem ...YET!!!!

These plastic paddles in a BM are designed to be heated to less than 200C whilst used to bake bread and are totally safe when used that way.

But at 250C (easily exceeded in the hot air stream from the HG) the plastic breaks down chemically (but may not change shape or appearance).... and the gas it gives off could well contaminate the beans.... and this gas is known to have health risks....

Would anyone in their right mind take up smoking today?..... I wouldnt think so..... Then why risk contaminating your beans with a toxic chemical? It is just not worth the risk!

Comment

thanks again for all the responses.

I think Ill try to either replace the fittings or find another free bm. must protect the beans.
                      In terms of replacing the fittings, the bush is also plastic as is the rotating piece connected to the bm that drives mechanism ( i realize that this piece wont affect the beans but thought it may eventually melt).

Is the bush easily replaced? or do I just look for another unit?

Comment

smokeydeck,

I also had to replace the bush on mine (the paddle was metal but the bush under was the same type of plastic I referred to above.

In mine (Sunbeam Bakehouse) there were three screws under the bowl and the whole assembly (after removing the paddle) just came out and the bush was replaced with a brass one.

Whether this is possible or not would depend on the BM.

I know Lizzie had a problem with the plastic drive under the MB she had melting..... heat will travel down the metal shaft and heat that up as well (but at least it is outside the container with the beans so shouldnt cause a problem in that sense.

Comment

thanks again. very helpful.

Comment

JavaB

Ive been smoking cigarettes for 40+ years  ..... and there has been no problem ...YET!!!!

You would have to be very foolish to ignore all the evidence.

These plastic paddles in a BM are designed to be heated to less than 200C whilst used to bake bread and are totally safe when used that way.

I’m afraid I don’t know what the paddles are made from, but think that Panasonic would have some degree of tolerance built in, before the material started to break down or give off gas!

The thermocouple in my oven indicates a maximum temp of about 220C; the paddle is not in the direct air flow from the heat gun.

The plastic breaks down chemically (but may not change shape or appearance).... and the gas it gives off could well contaminate the beans

Hmmm….

There has been no visible change to the paddle in the year that I have been using it.

Comment

Working...
                            X