Next Step up From a Popper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Step up From a Popper?

After about 3 months my Mistral Popper died. I got it used for $15 so no complaints. I dont know how old it really was.

I scored a Popasaurus for free a little while ago and tried that but it sucks compared with my Mistral. It gets to SC in about 4 mins and roasts very unevenly (compared with about 8 mins on my previous popper).

Given this, Im starting to look at my options for an upgrade. Id like to move up to something that is designed to roast coffee rather than make something with a heat gun etc. Im just not the handy type. The chimney mod for my popper was about the limit of my handy skills

Id also like something that can do bigger batches if possible. I found my popper was uneven if I did a batch of over 100g. Given my consumption, something that could do at least 150g (preferably 200g) would be good.

Whats the next step up? What sort of money should I look at spending?

Im in Perth if anyone with anything better wants to upgrade and sell their.

Re: Next Step up From a Popper?

Next step up size wise is a heat gun, bowl and wooden spoon; also cheap.
    I do 300 - 600gm roasts which finish up 250gm - 500gm roasted weight.

Ive been very busy for quite some time but this afternoon moved my Corretto project along. Ive fitted a bypass switch to a Breadmaker (generously supplied by a fellow CS) and confirmed that my wiring diagram is correct and the motor runs through the switch.

Now all I need to do is put it all back together.

So thats the next step cost wise.
    Batch sizes would be similar to a bowl but the advantage is you free your hands from stirring and if you mount the heat gun on an adjustable stand that hand is free as well.

Comment

If you go to manufacturedl home roaster you will looking at $700 upwards, whereas Corretto does an equal or better roast and wont cost more than $150 for all the components.
      Breadmaker $20-40 second hand
      Heat gun Ryobi $46 or similar
      Cooling fan $10 Bunnings
      a stand for heat gun, pedestal fan from kerbside pickup
      cooling box out of bucket or chipboard with aluminium flywire
      DMM datalogger $50 from Andy
      Its not hard to do and the results are amazing!!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I should buy myself a heat gun and have a go.

Whilst Im lazy and dont like building things. At $700+ for a commercial equivalent, Id better have a go.

Paul

Comment

I took the advice here and bought a $46 Ryobi heat gun from Bunnings on the way home. I borrowed the design ideas that others have used here and mounted the heat gun on my bottle capper (which I havent used since I switched to Grolsch bottles for homebrew). I just used my pressure cooker and a wooden spoon to stir it.

My first batch took about 20 mins but I wasted about 4 mins with the heat gun too far away at first. Im very happy with the results. They are more even than Ive had from the popper. My next step now is to find a breadmaker so I dont have to sit there stirring for 15 mins.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I like the lip on the pressure cooker.
            Little chance of beans being blown out.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1204975140/0#5 date=1205446241
              I like the lip on the pressure cooker.
              Little chance of beans being blown out.
              That was luck more than good planning

It worked a treat, not a single bean lost.

Comment

Working...
              X