My $42 Coretto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My $42 Coretto

As Im currently unable to afford a coffee machine upgrade   I decided to go with the alternative - roast my own coffee!

So after reading CS like a madman and getting as much free stuff as possible I have managed to put together my Correto for only $42

I "borrowed" a Breville Bakers Oven Deluxe from my sister-in-law (I hope she doesnt want it back hehehe)
    Bought an Ozito heat gun for $36
    Borrowed the wifes camera tripod to mount the heat gun on
    Had a pedestal fan left to me by some friendly Canadians
    Rescued a Eurotherm PID controller and thermocouple from being thrown out at work (was from an old furnace - currently only using this for temperature measurements but could use it for temp control later)
    Bought 2 cheapy metal seives for bean cooling ($6)

I still cant believe how simple this setup is and how well it works. I got the CS starter pack and the first two roasts were put through last weekend, 2 X 300g of Colombian Volcan Galeras (already consumed!  ;D). The tripod has a handle for adjusting its height so it was simple to wind it up or down during the roast to control the heating rate (just left the heatgun on 500degC). Got about 5 min between FC and SC and all up ran for 18 minutes (this bm runs for 23min on the knead cycle). The camera tripod also rotates so its easy to swing the heat gun out of the way when you want to pull the beans out.

Anyway, thanks to all who posted their ideas/pics on CS!

Re: My $42 Coretto

Excellent setup Dr. Beer..... 8-)

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs by the way [smiley=thumbsup.gif]..... Looks like you have got it all well and truly organised and are well on your way. Happy roasting mate and catch you around the boards ,

Mal.

Comment

Gday Doc ...

My set-up is similar, so I can vouch for the ease & versatility of mounting the HG on a tripod, with all its angular swivels!

My only concern, looking at your pic, is having everything sit on that glass table. When things get a bit frantic nearing the end of your roast, and you need to dump the beans speedily, an accidental knock may tip the table with nasty shattered shards of glass the result

Source a sturdy wooden alternative, mate - might prevent a bit of future grief

Cheers,
      Tony

Comment

Thank for the tip GrindOnDemand - or GOD for short

I have got some wooden benches handy but they are narrow and up against the fence, therefore less working room.

I can vouch for the strength of the glass table though, last party we had here I fell on it and knocked it over. Whilst a few glasses were broken the table survived!

I forgot to add that I am yet to come up with a cool name for my bread machine - ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Cheers

Aiden

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Beer link=1205328203/0#3 date=1205375181
          ... I can vouch for the strength of the glass table though, last party we had here I fell on it and knocked it over. Whilst a few glasses were broken the table survived!  
          too many beers Doc? ;D

Comment

Hi all

> I forgot to add that I am yet to come up with a cool name
            > for my bread machine - ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Comment

GMC
              "green man Corretto"

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike link=1205328203/0#5 date=1205406894
                Hi all

Thanks Spelomike, straight to the point. I hope 42 may also refer the number of roasts the Ozito heat gun lasts for  

Originally posted by greenman link=1205328203/0#6 date=1205412271
                GMC
                "green man Corretto"
                Hey Greenman, is that a name for your BM or mine? Although you dont want to give the wrong impression that you endorse GMC products!

Comment

Its for my Corretto, I do own 1 GMC product, a 9" angle grinder and it has done a great job so far cutting pavers!!

Comment

I managed to find a pic........................

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Beer link=1205328203/0#3 date=1205375181
                      Thank for the tip GrindOnDemand - or GOD for short
                      GOD? One wouldnt be so presumptuous, surely! :P I like your setup! Hope it all goes well for ya! Im just starting out and having a ball! The moderators on this site have a wealth of good advice, you cant really go wrong!
                      Rob

Comment

Thanks RobT.

I like ur setup too - much more organised than mine.

Was the name "mean bean machine" inspired by George Foreman?

Comment

;D ;D My wife took one look at it and said, "Thats one mean machine!" George Foreman? Dont tell me Ive nicked one of his sayings or something? (Had to ask OH who George was! Sad, but true...) Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X