Corretto questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corretto questions

I did my first roast tonight in my Corretto.
    The BM is a smaller model so limited the batch to 300g.
    I was doing 600g in the bowl.

I havent mounted the HG yet as I need to find the optimum distance from the beans.

This first batch was about 30% faster than my previous ones so Ill need to put more distance between the HG and the beans next time.

On to my first question:

How do you guys/gals empty the roasted beans into your cooling devices?

Re: Corretto questions

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1205662624/0#0 date=1205662624
    ... how do you guys/gals empty the roasted beans into your cooling devices?
    quickly, TG! ;D

... welcome to peering into a bread machine with a heat gun full boil next to your ear

Comment

I use an oven mitt and a pair of long nosed pliers..................

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1205662624/0#1 date=1205663238
        Originally posted by Thundergod link=1205662624/0#0 date=1205662624
        ... how do you guys/gals empty the roasted beans into your cooling devices?
        quickly, TG! ;D

... welcome to peering into a bread machine with a heat gun full boil next to your ear  
        The guns on the deaf side, so its not a problem.  :P

Originally posted by greenman link=1205662624/0#2 date=1205663745
        I use an oven mitt and a pair of long nosed pliers..................
        Do you have a temp probe and does it get in the way?

Comment

Ive got a DMM I have to remember to remove probe before removing bucket, occasionally I can feel resistance and have to quickly remove the probe!!

Comment

I just use an oven mitt. My BM bucket has a wire handle on it - dont know if all others have this.

As for the height setting for the HG, I found that mounting it on a camera tripod is an easy way to adjust the height during the roast to get the desired heating rate - and it also swings the HG out the way when you want to get your beans out.

Comment

I have a bucket with a wire handle on as well. I use a pair of riggers gloves to man-handle the bucket out. This is good except for when one glove just happens to have a hole in the thumb. Murphys law being as it is when the wire handle goes across the hole, it hurts rather a lot Gives you a bit of motivation to get a new pair anyway.

I have my gun mounted on a wire "L" shaped bracket. This is attached permanently to the BM and I can move it up & down, rotate it and even angle it anyway I want. I also have a gauge on the rear part of the BM which measures the height in cms above the buckets top edge. I then simply line up the bottom edge of the HGs nozzle with the guage and I can get the exact same height i.e. heat all the time. I find on mine if I start on 4cm and then after FC move the gun up to 7cm this gives a pretty good roast profile (this is for most beans, but does alter for some varieties).

Comment

TG

I dont think there is "one" optimum distance for the HG from the beans.
                Ambient temperature & wind for example will influence this.

Plus, to deaccelerate the heating between FC & SC I find I get better results by raising the guns height, rather than dropping its temp.

My bucket has a wire handle and I use the mitts too.
                Just prior to pulling the roast [Lift Off] I lraise/prepare the handle so I get good quick access to it when the pressure is on.

Speaking of pressure, on Sat everything was ready to remove for Lift-Off: A great roast,Just hit SC 5min after FC, Id lifted the handle into position, I removed the HG, pulled out the probe [hard one to remember] and went to grab the mitt....gone!!!!.
                My 2YO had toddled off with it.
                I ran inside, got another from the kitchen and came back within 30 sec and the beans [without external heat] had just hit rolling SC.
                Phew......................saved it by that much!

Comment

You may have misunderstood when I said "optimum".
                  I do realise Ill have to move my gun away to reduce the heat (I only use the "High") but am trying to get myself a starting point.

I know where to hold the gun in my old bowl but the BM pan loses less heat because of its shape.
                  My next roast I will have to hold the gun higher than the first roast.

Thanks for all the replies.

Please add your 2 cents worth if you havent already.

Comment

Hi there
                    I too use an oven mitt and have to remember to remove the DMM prob quickly.
                    As for moving the heat gun i dont bother too much but rather throttle back the heat but now i am beginning to think that perhaps i should be raising the gun to stop FC and SC running together.

Mal

Comment

Cant you just tip the whole thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1205662624/0#10 date=1205747486
                        Cant you just tip the whole thing?
                        Ive thought about it but if the pan unlocks it would be a disaster.
                        Plus theres a lot further for the beans to travel to my cooler; more room for mishap.

Comment

Hi TG,

Re. height of HG as a start point, I usually start with it just above the rim of the BM body which in my BB250 is a bit above the top of the bread/coffee bin.
                          I then monitor the temp and adjust HG height as necessary, depending or the rate of temp rise. This is easy with a DMM and temp probe, and to roast in the Corretto without it would be a bit like flying blind. You will forget to remove it sooner or later, but if the bin wont budge then you soon realize.
                          The probes straighten out again pretty well and then you dont forget for a fair while.
                          All the best with it, you will soon have it sorted.

Alan

Comment

I have a temp probe and its not a problem atm.
                            I think I could get by without one just going on time, look and smell.
                            After all, Ive done 90 roasts so far.

Still, I prefer to see the temp as a reference point and extra guide.

Being a process auditor I WILL work it out.
                            First step will be, as I said, starting the gun further above the beans next roast.

I was hoping to tonight but didnt get around to it.
                            Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Thundergod,

The first couple of roasts i did i had the gun at 2.5 cm above the bowl and 3.5 cm above. The both produced the same results with FC about 7-8 mins (amb about 30C, queensland). I am using an Ozito heat gun with a sunbeam cooltouch BM. Last roast i did i put it up to 4.5cm above (i couldnt belive how high i needed it) and i hit FC at 10.10mins. When i was raising it it was kind of like there was a sweet spot where every mm made a difference. Below that it sort of didnt make much difference. Has anywon else experienced this?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X