Failing heatguns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing heatguns...

Started my corretto roasting using the GMC Platinum heatgun. Chose that because of the variable temp function and because of the way the first setup was constructed, changing the HG height was not easy and hence the height was fixed and I used the variable temp control on the HG for roast temp control.
    I have since made a few mods on my roasting setup to have the height adjustment very user-friendly (will put up pics when i get home). Back to the main topic, my first HG lasted all of 3 roasts before it died. Because it was within 2 weeks of purchase, I could get the HG replaced at Bun-green-ings. I was told after that period, I would have to send it directly to GMC.
    Second HG lasted 5 months and that partly I think is attributed to a lot more care using it ie. The dial had to always be at the coolest mark before switching on. After switching on, I could raise it up the desired setting for roasting, roast the beans and when I had to pull out the roast, I have to dial back the temp to the lowest setting and let it run on the coolest setting for quite a few minutes before switching it off.
    The one time I forgot to do that was last weekend and switched the HG off while the setting was still on about 350 degrees, and guess what! It died!

My question is: Im now looking for another HG. The GMC heatguns seem to have a history of failing. What other heatguns out there have failed on you? Even if its failed once, please pen it down as there would be some sort of pattern emerging if enough of them failed. Basically, Id like to see which HGs have failed the least and so Id look to get one with a good record. Id be pissed if my HG failed mid-roast while Im doing a batch of the Yemenis...

Re: Failing heatguns...

Just in case you hadnt noticed theres a permanent thread at the top of the page entitled "heatgun reviews." This should get you started.

Comment

Originally posted by NewToEspresso link=1207621632/0#0 date=1207621632
      The one time I forgot to do that was last weekend and switched the HG off while the setting was still on about 350 degrees, and guess what! It died!
      Gday NTE,

Sorry to hear about your HG dying..... Something that might be worth checking: Inside the HG usually very close to the upstream end of the heating elements, is a little device called a "Thermal Fuse-Link". They are normally silver in colour, about 13-15mm long and 3-4mm in diameter with connection leads on each end. They are in place to prevent damage to the HG in the event of any over-temperature situation but usually due to poor design and other economic considerations, you are unable to start the fan which would of course, cool down the innards of the HG immediately.

Anyway, these Thermal Fuse Link devices are supposed to reset once the temperature falls below a predetermined level and allow you to restart the HG. Unfortunately, they quite often fail to reset properly thereby rendering the HG useless, all for the sake of a $0.02 component. If the warranty is no longer being honoured, you can purchase Thermal Fuse-Links separately from the likes of DSE, Jaycar, etc for next to nothing. So, if you are competent to work on this sort of hardware you could easily undertake the repair yourself or ask someone you trust and is qualified, to do the repair for you...... Maybe in exchange for a bag of freshly roasted beans .

So all is not necessarily lost and can probably be easily rectified if need be. All the best mate and hope youre back into action ASAP ,

Cheers,
      Mal.

Comment

The 2 week wait for the GMC warranty thing is not very appealing to me and I will probably try that. But in the meantime, I was after another HG so I can still have my coffee for the coming weeks. And if GMC replaces the HG, Ill use the GMC as a spare (whats the likelihood of 2 HGs failing one after another even if one is a GMC?). I am pretty much going to get another HG and preferably one which is more reliable than the GMC. Also, I dont need a var temp one because of the new & improved roasting setup, so a cheapie would suffice PROVIDED it doesnt have a knack of dying unexpectedly.

Ive read the HG review but what I was after in this post is not so much a review, but all accounts of HGs failing, make and model and how long it lasted before it died. Not all bad news stories too, if you have used a HG from a long way back and it hasnt died yet, do tell.... Im trying to get an idea of HG performances over time. Eg. if 10 different people are using the ozito ones and 8 of them seem to have them fail after 8-12 months with varied times, then a clearer picture starts to appear ie. Ozitos have lifespan of 8-12 months reliably. On their own, someone would use it for 10 months say, and then it fails, but you would dismiss that as possibly a fault due to misuse and for a $36 HG, no one would take too much notice etc... but if we get 8 separate accoutns of them failing in that timeframe, its no accident or freak event, its just their median life expectancy... that was what I was getting at.

Comment

Ive done 50+ roasts with my Ryobi 2 speed and shes still doing strong, I always have a fan played on the body to cool it and disperse the chaff.
          Other CSers have given them good reports as well, maybe thats the way to go!!!

Comment

Yep Ryobi 2 speed is a champ....

Mine has been going since the Corretto Idea was floated (must be 18 months ago....) several roasts a week.... some even back to back and hasnt missed a beat.....

But it costs a bit more than the real cheapies.... and doesnt have a variable heat setting....

Reliable - you betcha!!

And as greenman says - use a fan ..... keeps the gun cool and stops chaff getting sucked in and blocking the vents.

Comment

I must admit to being slack and not using a fan with my Ryobi variable temp gun...but it has dont a lot of work now including back to back roasts and has worked brilliantly with no hickups or drop outs.

Cheers

PS. The Ryobi gear, particularly the 2 temp setting ones - are only marginally dearer than the real cheap jobbies and should last a lot longer.

Comment

After a few issues with my ryobi 2 speed thermostatically controlled heatgun its now working a treat, i can now do multiple roasts one after the other. The trick is to let it cool down by switching the temp switch down all the way and putting the fan on 1.Otherwise I have to wait at least an hour before it will restart

Comment

I would suggest Bosch PHG 630 DCE, it has variable heat control and i have done over 150 roasts with it and it is only now occasionally having a heat sensor issue so i think its great value for money.

Mal

Comment

Wow lots of bad press for the poor ol GMC mine has been going for 12mths again after killing one after about three years mainly using it for melting/softening glue on vinyl tiles to remove them from my entry. I never worry about any start up or shut down regime start it on flat out and stop it the same. It has been a very robust bit of kit and only has a little computer fan cooling it down. If it should die I would have no hesitation shelling out 65$ for another just the same.

Comment

I have the 2 speed Ozito & it has done about 8 roasts so far.

I have turned it off a few times without running it on low for a little while to cool down, & the thermal fuse has "tripped". Sitting it in the bean cooler has seen it reset in 20-30 seconds.

For a cheapie, I like the 3 year replacement warranty at Bunnings (where I work. )

Fingers crossed.

Cheers.................Sean

Comment

My last HG was a simple Bosch (not the temp-adjustable one). Very solid, sold it when I moved OS.

My current HG is a Makita. No issues for the best part of a year of roasting, and it has had a hard life. Bought used, it was cheaper than most new ones (NZ$45)

Comment

Below are pics of my latest corretto setup:

Comment

Originally posted by scooter link=1207621632/0#10 date=1207656775
                            I have the 2 speed Ozito & it has done about 8 roasts so far.

I have turned it off a few times without running it on low for a little while to cool down, & the thermal fuse has "tripped". Sitting it in the bean cooler has seen it reset in 20-30 seconds.

For a cheapie, I like the 3 year replacement warranty at Bunnings (where I work. )

Fingers crossed.

Cheers.................Sean
                            My Ozito lasted for 44 roasts.

Comment

My previous setup had the 240V radial fan separate, HG holder separate from the BM, unmodified BM function which means I had to use the knead function which had a 6 minute intermittent stir before a 24 minute continuous stir. I bypassed the circuitry connecting the AC straight to the motor circuit (thanks to the help of CS info on how to do it). Roasting involved coming in and out of the house carrying 2 items at a time, BM and HG, then setting up the HG holder, positining the fan etc.. Worked well with the knead cycle because it took me all of 6 minutes to gather all those things. After bypassing the electronics, I thought, "hey why not install the fan on the cover as well removing the glass bit". Had 2 separate power points and decided to join them together with the BM one and placed a switch for the motor. Next I decided to mount a easy to use height adjusting thing to the BM itself, my quest for an all-in-one setup, which worked great. Then the HG died.

With mounting the HG onto my setup, the hardest part was how to mount the HG onto the height adjusting column. It would have been easy enough to drill a hole right at the bottom and screw in the HG to the column, but that would have almost certainly voided any warranty. Had to use some modified brackets to use the existing screw points on the HG (the back stand holder). What does this have to do with the topic? Well, the new HG Im after has to have some sort of screw in point where I can mount the HG bracket on without needing to drill holes in the HG casing. So far, the Bosch doesnt have any such holes. I didnt really get a good look at the Ryobi, but the Ozito and the orange coloured Black & Decker one has.

From these accounts, it looks like the Ryobi is worth a second look.

Another pic of my setup:

Comment

Working...
                              X