Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Roasting Venture

Hi guys,

Getting to the point where Im thinking of roasting green beans and buying from CS beanbay along with looking at some home roaster machines. Besides, getting tired driving out to Newtown, NSW (no prizes for guessing) to buy my brown beans. I know...

Quite green (how appropriate) when it comes to green beans and home roasting. Presume green beans can keep awhile - hence the appeal and getting a roaster that does 150gm-250gm a hit.

Anyhow, any happy I-Roast 2 owners out there? Anyone know if there are other brands in the same price range?

Thanks all.

Re: Home Roasting Venture

Check out the posts on Corretto roasting, using breadmaker and heatgun, its a great way to roast and a fraction of the cost of commercial product. You can roast from 200g up to 800g in these with no dramas.
    Food for thought!!

Comment

Seeing Newtown is in your travels you are welcome to arrange a visit to my place to see my new corretto in action.
      If you dont mind slumming it Ill make you a coffee on my lowly Leva with home roasted beans.

Comment

30in30
        Definitely give a popper or the corretto a try.
        Great results with minimal capital outlay.

Mal

Comment

30in30 What I have read here on C/S site is that peolple who have the iroast2 find it hard to hear the 2nd cracks but they do an ok job.But if you try a popper you will get the same size roast 100-160gms, maybe more for about $35-$50 outlay.Or take Thundergod up on his offer to have a look at his set up for a corretto.
          Most people here seem to start out with a popper and then move up to something that will do a larger roast.

Comment

Thanks for the tip guys. Seems like consensus is the corretto or popper from everyone. Didnt want to spend too much, hence reason why I was looking at the i-Roast2. Until I started to read up discussions on CS, Ive never heard of a corretto or popper for roasting before!

PS: Was at cafebiz on the weekend and saw the Gene Roaster which looked impressive, though not willing to invest ~$700 given Im just starting out with the roasting. Bought a naked pf whilst there so new toy to play with!

TG, thanks... I may certainly take you up on the offer next time I head out for more beans in Newtown... :

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1207969729/0#2 date=1207973052
            Seeing Newtown is in your travels you are welcome to arrange a visit to my place to see my new corretto in action.
            If you dont mind slumming it Ill make you a coffee on my lowly Leva with home roasted beans.

Comment

Hi 30in30

Bunnings in Mascot sell the Ryobi Heatgun with variable temp for $69.
              Breville Seconds in Ultimo (Wattle Street) sell the Breville BB280 for $39.
              All you need then is a fan to blow the chaff away and keep the heatgun cool.

And there you have your own Corretto.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know kangurusmoke... seems like the cheaper and popular option.

Ill need to read up and learn more about how to setup a corretto or popper for roasting... from what Ive seen sounds like some mods need to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by 30in30 link=1207969729/0#7 date=1208422964
                  Thanks for letting me know kangurusmoke... seems like the cheaper and popular option.

Ill need to read up and learn more about how to setup a corretto or popper for roasting... from what Ive seen sounds like some mods need to be done.
                  Some earlier Breville Bread Makers needed a bypass switch to make the paddle turn continuously to keep the beans moving. The BB280 doesnt need this mod.

When you first turn it on:
                  1) the paddle turns and then stops every 2 secs...
                  2) After 1min 45 secs it turns continuously non stop...
                  3) After 5 mins of continuous turning, it stops for 2 secs every min
                  4) This will continue for more than 20 mins... enough to roast your beans.

From what Ive tasted this isnt enuogh to burn the beans in my opinion.

So the only mod you might wanna do is drill a hole on the side of the bread maker for the temperature probe if you decide to use it. But otherwise, no I havent modded my setup at all.

Comment

Thanks! Doesnt sound too complicated then.

Interesting, looked up Wikipedia and learnt a "Corretto" is something that originated from this community!

Any pics to show off your Correttos perchance anyone?

Comment

Mine is in this thread
                      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1205662624/0

and there are quite a few in this one
                      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1164028430

Comment

Originally posted by 30in30 link=1207969729/0#9 date=1208507934

Any pics to show off your Correttos perchance anyone?
                        Have a look here.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/Gazz51/Correto/

Cheers

Gazz

Comment

TG, thanks. Setup looks great - I ve read the original thread posted/started by Belinda and how all of this unfolded is pretty amazing.... not to mention the amazing inventions by some of the CSers.

Wow, love the setup Gazz, and the cooling fan table is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                          X