Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting price for "real" home roasters

Hi all,

Having just bought a crazy popper and started doing some serious research, I have found the Sweet Marias site and see they have three different ready-to-go home roasters for less than $US 150. Unless I am mistaken, the going rate for something other than DIY on these pages seems to be >$AU800.

Jut wondering is there some reason the relatively low cost "home roasters" arent sold in Australia? eg Fresh Roast 8 for $US90 with current exchange rate would have a market wouldnt it...or am I missing something?

Re: Starting price for "real" home roasters

Gday kevviek,

I feel quite affronted that my rather unique and superb Corretto is not considered to be a "real" home roaster ...... Just kidding

Pay a visit to the websites of a couple of our esteemed Site Sponsors over on the L/H side of the page, namely Les at "Coffee Roasters Australia" and maybe Serge at "Go Barista" if very shiny expensive things get you going 8-), as I dont believe Serge caters so much to small domestic setups.

All the best,
    Mal.

Comment

Ive seen these cheap roasters on Youtube and Coffeegeek but they dont seem to get much good feedback. The Gene Cafe and I-roast are popular but then they are more expensive.
      Bang for bucks who could go past a Corretto?

Comment

Serge does have some domestic roasters. While I was there getting some green beans he showed me the I-Roast 2 and the Gene Cafe. I belive he recomended the Gene over the I-Roast 2. He did however quote me a very reasonable price on the I-Roast that is much closer to what you are talking about then the Gene. Serge is a great guy and very knowlagable if you are looking for this sort of appliance.

EDIT: Just noticed this post in the for sale section http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1205989305
        Coffee Roasters Australia has a special on I-Roast2.

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam link=1208610351/0#3 date=1208641281
          Originally posted by Mal link=1208610351/0#1 date=1208618689
          Serge at "Go Barista" if very shiny expensive things get you going 8-), as I dont believe Serge caters so much to small domestic setups.
          Serge does have some domestic roasters. While I was there getting some green beans he showed me the I-Roast 2 and the Gene Cafe. I belive he recomended the Gene over the I-Roast 2. He did however quote me a very reasonable price on the I-Roast that is much closer to what you are talking about then the Gene. Serge is a great guy and very knowlagable if you are looking for this sort of appliance.
          Thanks for that info BamBam, very pleased to hear that and no doubt so too is "keviek"...

Cheers,
          Mal.

Comment

I love the look of those 1-2 kg Commerical Roasters on the sponsors sites - massive machines for a small amount (although they pump out about 10kg per hour from what I can tell). I bet those babies cost a bomb.

Comment

10kg / hour ?

That would be 5 x 2kg batches every 12 minutes with no time between roasts.

Sounds a bit fast a profile at 12 min.

Comment

Yep it did sound fast to me too, but I think that they might be boasting of its max production ability (but that is silly if its at the sake of quality which it would have to be at 12 mins wouldnt it?).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1208610351/0#7 date=1208727161
                  Yep it did sound fast to me too, but I think that they might be boasting of its max production ability (but that is silly if its at the sake of quality which it would have to be at 12 mins wouldnt it?).

Cheers
                  Worth keeping in mind that the "optimum" green bean mass is more like 75% of rated capacity though. Going back to back, youd be more like 3 batches/hour....

Nevertheless, Id love a 2kg beast for home! 8-)

Comment

It would be pretty sweet Chris (I bet there wouldnt be much chance out of $10k or so...).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1208610351/0#9 date=1208727902
                      It would be pretty sweet Chris (I bet there wouldnt be much chance out of $10k or so...).

Cheers
                      More like 15k Scott!

Comment

bugger

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1208610351/0#11 date=1208733564
                          bugger
                          I know there was a price rise due earlier this year, which has probably come into effect.

If youre serious though, I think you should still talk directly with Les or Serge. From time to time they may also have a good 2nd hand roaster available when one of their customers is upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1208610351/0#11 date=1208733564
                            bugger
                            Hi Scott, a 1kg gas fired (much easier to control than electric) Toper will come in at under $10k, but factoring in a 750g batch and 20% loss, its only 600g roasted product- which is pretty close to what I get out of 2 x Gene- not that Id ever compare them to a "true" roaster. For me, it would have to be 2 or more kg and then were talking well over $10k....

Chris

Comment

I think a gas Has Garanti 2kg will come in at just under 10k.

My roaster does 2 batches/hr with internal cooling cycle, 3.5/hr with external cooling.

Comment

Working...
                              X