Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a market for a 1kg DIY drum roaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a market for a 1kg DIY drum roaster?

Hi All

Ive been tinkering with a few roaster designs on my laptop over the last few years with regard to 0.5-1kg roaster and maybe a upscaled 2kg version....
    I cant believe how much the larger roasters cost....

Correct me if I wrong but there seems to be a big gap between the say 0.3kg to 5kg roasters that are affordable to the coffee addicts like myself and other coffeesnobs etc

I was thinking of building and offering a the DIY kit user assembled or completed unit that it could be built up/upgraded over time,

here are my ideas

Base unit (>$1k)
    -An all manual affair bare bones no frills roaster gets the job done.
    - Drum type roaster
    - manual bean dump
    - manual green been dump into roaster
    -still undecided on heat source being gas or electric
    - roast inspection window

Manual controller
    manual controls for temperature, and drum rotation speed, and fans speed for air movement through the roaster
    Digital readout for intake, internal temperature, and exhaust temperature
    various safety cutouts/over temp protection

Advanced control upgrade (>$500)
    -Full control of roaster for the complete geek.
    -Roaster control system that connects to a laptop etc via USB using software written in LabView
    -Monitor -intake air temp, roaster internal temp, exhaust temp,
    -Controls - air flow through roaster via fan speed control, drum RPM, PID control of heater circuit, Green Bean feeder (if option fitted), Cooling try (if option fitted)
    -various safety cutouts/over temp protection
    -green bean Bean feeder upgrade actuator that releases bean into roaster when the roaster has reached its ideal temp required advance control upgrade
    -Custom roasting profiles, create, store, recall, compare to previous recorded profile etc
    -Free software update for the life of the roaster to its registered owner

Cooling tray upgrade (>$200)
    adds traditional type cooling tray with bean stirring, fan sucking cool air down through beens + roaster been dump actuator to dump beens into the cooler automatically on completion of the roast profile, (must have advanced control upgrade fitted for actuator operation )

Chaff bin upgrade (<$100)
    chaff bin & mesh filter to capture chaff, (basic unit only fitted with an exhaust with no filter)

Hopefully Ill complete my home theater projects shortly and can spend some more time on this roaster project

Ill post some drawings/sketches etc in the next wk or so

What do you think so far?

Cheers
    Craig A

Re: Is there a market for a 1kg DIY drum roaster?

Originally posted by HV_MAN link=1208786097/0#0 date=1208786097
    Hi All

Ive been tinkering with a few roaster designs on my laptop over the last few years with regard to 0.5-1kg roaster and maybe a upscaled 2kg version....
    I cant believe how much the larger roasters cost....

Correct me if I wrong but there seems to be a big gap between the say 0.3kg to 5kg roasters that are affordable to the coffee addicts like myself and other coffeesnobs etc

I was thinking of building and offering a the DIY kit user assembled or completed unit that it could be built up/upgraded over time,

here are my ideas

Base unit (>$1k)
    -An all manual affair bare bones no frills roaster gets the job done.
    - Drum type roaster
    - manual bean dump
    - manual green been dump into roaster
    -still undecided on heat source being gas or electric
    - roast inspection window

Manual controller
    manual controls for temperature, and drum rotation speed, and fans speed for air movement through the roaster
    Digital readout for intake, internal temperature, and exhaust temperature
    various safety cutouts/over temp protection

Advanced control upgrade (>$500)
    -Full control of roaster for the complete geek.
    -Roaster control system that connects to a laptop etc via USB using software written in LabView
    -Monitor -intake air temp, roaster internal temp, exhaust temp,
    -Controls - air flow through roaster via fan speed control, drum RPM, PID control of heater circuit, Green Bean feeder (if option fitted), Cooling try (if option fitted)
    -various safety cutouts/over temp protection
    -green bean Bean feeder upgrade actuator that releases bean into roaster when the roaster has reached its ideal temp required advance control upgrade
    -Custom roasting profiles, create, store, recall, compare to previous recorded profile etc
    -Free software update for the life of the roaster to its registered owner

Cooling tray upgrade (>$200)
    adds traditional type cooling tray with bean stirring,  fan  sucking  cool  air down through  beens + roaster been dump actuator to dump beens into the cooler automatically on completion of the roast profile, (must have advanced control upgrade fitted for actuator operation )

Chaff bin upgrade (<$100)
    chaff bin & mesh filter to capture chaff, (basic unit only fitted with an exhaust with no filter)

Hopefully Ill complete my home theater projects shortly and can spend some more time on this roaster project

Ill post some drawings/sketches etc in the next wk or so

What do you think so far?

Cheers
    Craig A
    Sounds great Craig!

Id definitely like to see more 8-)

Chris

Comment

Sounds like a great idea, it would be good to do my roasting in one batch rather than having to do multiple.

Mal

Comment

Sounds great Craig.

Just a thought re the actuator that releases bean into the roaster...if the idea is to pre-load a hopper while the roaster is warming up, some may start to roast before they gain entry into the drum, particularly if doing multiple roasts.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I think the answer is an emphatic YES.

Ive had this home-made roaster in the back of my head for a while as the thought of using Halogens is appealing. However too many things to do and not enough time puts such things on the back burner.
          http://homeroasters.org/php/forum/vi...&thread_id=570

Which ever way you decide to go, it looks like a great project. There are a few people in the US selling similar home-built roasters at reasonable prices.

I think a roaster with that capacity in the ballpark price of a prosumer coffee machine would get a bit of interest. Especially as 1kg shop roasters are in the $8k range.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Sounds great. Id be interested to see more detail.

Comment

Hi Craig, a big YES PLEASE from me. The Hottop is great but 300g batches is time consuming. Please forward more details when you go further with this great idea.

Thanks
              Ian

Comment

Well it looks like a positive response,

sorry for not posting sooner, Im currently pretty snowed with work this week and going away this weekend so Ill post some the initial designs for comment toward the end of next week.

My biggest internal debate ATM is deciding on gas or electric heating.......probably end up doing both....

Craig A

Comment

Fantastic. Cant wait to see more details.

Comment

From what I understand Craig, gas would be a better option - as I believe it would allow you to control the roast process far more.

Will be interested to hear/see more of your ideas!

Chris

Comment

Hiya

Yes I think there is a market. My Gene is too small and 3 kg is just too big.
                      But if your planing on developing and selling a 1kg unit then as well as the mechanicals there are the electricals too - like circuit boards, power etc. You will need to get compliance testing for electromagnetic compatability and quite a few other pieces of paper before you will be able to sell it. I was manufacturing and selling an electronics device for some years and its a lot of work. Even if its a kit it will still be subject (AFAIK) to the same standards requirements as any other product.

I dont wish to dampen your enthusiasm though. I want a unit that I can easily program to do a roast profile. (The hottop digital does not have a good interface.) And one needs to be able to modify the profile during the roast as well. Anyhow this is a good site to get a customer wish list from.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike link=1208786097/0#10 date=1209366159
                        Hiya

Yes I think there is a market. My Gene is too small and 3 kg is just too big.
                        But if your planing on developing and selling a 1kg unit then as well as the mechanicals there are the electricals too - like circuit boards, power etc. You will need to get compliance testing for electromagnetic compatability and quite a few other pieces of paper before you will be able to sell it. I was manufacturing and selling an electronics device for some years and its a lot of work. Even if its a kit it will still be subject (AFAIK) to the same standards requirements as any other product.

I dont wish to dampen your enthusiasm though. I want a unit that I can easily program to do a roast profile. (The hottop digital does not have a good interface.) And one needs to be able to modify the profile during the roast as well. Anyhow this is a good site to get a customer wish list from.

Mike
                        Hi Mike
                        Just as a heads up Im an electrical engineer who has come up from the electrical trade.
                        With regard to certification this is no problem its basically a heater, EMC compatibility certainly wont be in issue as it components eg VSD are already certerified
                        If I was designing the variable speed drives and all the control and having custom boards manufactured and sold to the masses it would probably be a different story.

Dont worry it will be put though its paces electrically, thermally, and mechanically before one unit is released and all results posted here. I will investigate it further, I have a mate that involved in appliance certification etc

My electrical background is one reason Im leaning towards electrical heat source as apposed to gas, Im not ruling gas out however if I do do gas I would enlist a consultant have the gas side of the design certified, I dont want anyone blowing up their house!!...

With regard to the electrics I keeping things to pretty much off the shelf, eg Fans and drum control etc will be via micro VSD s (variable speed drives), keeping to off the shielf items make my job easier & also future repairs easier for the end user.

With reguard to the roasting profiles it will be extremely flexiable the manual basic verion is completely up to the operator, where as the computer control version will have numerious adjustments.

For example a 20min roast might have a temperature adjustment for for every 10-30 seconds for instance so a roasting profile table can created, saved and recalled etc. more of this later have to get the hardware going first....software is really no problem Ill be creating it all in Nation Instruments LabView8 so nearly anything is possiable eg roast from work via the internet via a webcam anyone? LOL

Craig A

Comment

Sounds really interesting Craig 8-),

Cant wait to see the first published information..... Hows the Bezz going by the way? Still performing like a champion ?

Mal.

Comment

A top idea Craig.

From all the devices that I have tinkered with I would strongly suggest that you forget about electric heating. Once the bean mass is larger than 400g the electric just doesnt offer enough heat to get creative with the profiles.
                            Well at the domestic 10amp anyway.

GAS - cheap, easy and most have access to a BBQ bottle so fittings etc are familiar.

Comment

Hi HV

Good that your an EE with a trades background - its a good predicator that you have the knowledge, experience and practical ability to do this. I manufacted for a while a cave communications system. I got away without having to have EMC cert as I could show the product was designed to be used "within an electromagnetically screened environment" :-)
                              Anyhow a nice project and many people here will be following closely and making suggestions.

One thing I think is that a 1kg size is a nice size for retired people to roast enough beans and sell to their neighbours in their street or to friends. My neighbours like the beans but I cant really offer to give away any as the Gene doesnt have the capacity to produce enough. I just keep my in-laws supplied.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X