Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Roaster Design "will it work" your thoughts

Coffee Bean Roaster
    Design By Koffee Kosmo (THIS HAS NOT BEEN BUILT IT’S A DESIGN ONLY)

MATERIALS
    A large soup pot about 12" high
    A heavy lid from a Bessemer pot to suit
    An insert for steaming vegetables add a folding wire handle for lifting
    2 or 3 BBQ sliding air chokers / smoke vents like the ones on the lid of a Webber BBQ
    A small length of heat coil tube (like the old cars have to transfer heat from manifold to air cleaner for auto choke)
    A blow-dryer
    A small peace of heat glass to view contents
    A thermometer
    Volcanic beads/marbles (for bottom of pot to be a heat stabiliser)

ASSEMBLY AND BUILDING
    1)
    Divide lid into 3 sections like a clover leaf
    One section will house the sliding air chokers / exhaust vents
    One section will house the thermometer and the third air exhaust vent if required
    One section will house the Viewing glass
    2)

The steamer insert may require a small belt section to be cut and welded/joined
    to make it sit higher in the pot and over the air entry hole from side of pot
    3)
    Cut hole in side of pot near the bottom and weld a little flange to suit the heat coil tube diameter
    The outside end of tube will connect to the blow dryer

And that’s it

ROASTING BEANS
    OUTDOORS ONLY
    Place Volcanic beads in bottom of pot
    Place beans in vegetable steamer insert
    Place lid on
    Put pot on gas cooker or wok cooker on BBQ
    Have blow dryer ready to connect to heat coil tube
    Blow
    Control temperature with heat from under and by using air choker / exhaust vents and high or low settings in blow dryer

NOTE this method may work with a heat gun but I can’t be certain

Brief note
    Blow dryer is for extra heat and agitation of beans by air turbulence
    Chaff and smoke gets blown out through the vents in lid by same method above
    Thermal mass is controlled by gas heat, volcanic beads, blow drier heat, air turbulence, and air/exhaust vents

An exhaust pipe can be connected if required
    Another method of agitation will require a modification if air agitation is not enough
    THIS HAS NOT BEEN BUILT IT’S A DESIGN ONLY

Suggestions will be appreciated if you think it will work
    KK

Re: Popper roasted Nicaragua Highgrown Bold

Sounds good KK, though Im a visual learner and diagrams would help me get it entirely.
    Ill be watching with interest to see how it goes.

I dont think many people will actually find your design post though, just because its buried in this thread with a title that is not pertaining to your idea...and you might not get many responses as a result.  Pop it out in a new thread in the Roasters section,. does deserve its own thread.

EDITED TO ADD: Koffee Kosmos new thread here Home Roaster Design "will it work" your thoughts

Comment

Hey remy

Sounds like a plan
      I will attempt to draw One up for you
      and the new thred

Koffee Kosmo

Comment

Home Roaster Design "will it work" your thoughts

Coffee Bean Roaster
        Design By Koffee Kosmo Note: THIS HAS NOT BEEN BUILT IT’S A DESIGN ONLY

MATERIALS
        A large soup pot about 12" high
        A heavy lid from a Bessemer pot to suit
        An insert for steaming vegetables add a folding wire handle for lifting
        2 or 3 BBQ sliding air chokers smoke vents like the ones on the lid of a Webber BBQ
        A small length of heat coil tube (like the old cars have to transfer heat from manifold to air cleaner for auto choke)
        A blow-dryer
        A small peace of heat glass to view contents
        A thermometer for accurate temperature readings
        Volcanic beads/marbles (for bottom of pot to be a heat stabiliser)

ASSEMBLY AND BUILDING
        1)
        Divide lid into 3 sections like a clover leaf
        One section will house the sliding air chokers / exhaust vents
        One section will house the thermometer and the third air exhaust vent if required
        One section will house the Viewing glass
        2)

The steamer insert may require a small belt section to be cut and welded/joined
        to make it sit higher in the pot and over the air entry hole from lower side of pot
        3)
        Cut hole in side of pot near the bottom and weld a little flange to suit the heat coil tube diameter
        The outside or other end of tube will connect to the blow dryer
        And that’s it

ROASTING BEANS
        OUTDOORS ONLY
        Place Volcanic beads in bottom of pot
        Put pot on gas cooker or wok cooker on BBQ
        Pre Heat pot
        Place beans in vegetable steamer insert
        Place lid on
        Have blow dryer ready to connect to heat coil tube
        Blow
        Control temperature with heat from gas under pot and by using air choker / exhaust vents also high or low settings in blow dryer

NOTE this method may work with a heat gun but I can’t be certain

Brief note
        Blow dryer is for extra heat and agitation of beans by air turbulence from under beans
        Chaff and smoke gets blown out through the vents in lid by same method as above
        Thermal mass is controlled by gas heat, volcanic beads, blow drier heat, air turbulence, and air/exhaust vents
        An exhaust pipe can be connected if required
        Another method of agitation will require a modification if air agitation is not enough

THIS HAS NOT BEEN BUILT IT’S A DESIGN ONLY

Suggestions will be appreciated if you think it will work
        Will draw a sketch of design and post soon when I get the time
        Koffee Kosmo :-/

Comment

Koffee Kosmo this sounds quite complex. I am a boilermaker welder and it seems like you are trying to make something harder than it needs to be. What is going to be your heat source?I would be interested to see your plans.

Comment

Re: Home Roaster Design "will it work" your though

Sketch

Comment

Sketch

Comment

I dont think youll get enough air agitation.
                Im also doubtful of the heat transfer from the heat source to the beans.

Comment

I agree with Thundergod....

If you look at even small "air bed" roasters.... they use very powerful fans to cause bean agitation..... certainly far, far more than a blow drier which wont be that much more powerful than a popper fan.... the others use mechanical agitation.

And units of the size of yours (unless heated by conduction as in a drum roaster) tend to need high heat output gas burners which inject the heat into the air stream......

It takes quite a bit of heat to roast beans (most roasters which can only handle about 250 grams run over a Kilowatt of heating)...

Comment

While others were replying,.. I was playing around with your diagram.  :

The main problem I could see is getting suitable airflow,..enough and the right direction to agitate the beans suitably.

Im no scientist : .. but I think with the air flowing in as per your diagram,.. its likely to shoot directly across the diameter of the pot,..crash against the other side of the pot and just swirl back, losing power,..pushing some of it upward at an angle into the bean holder,.but much of the powerful airflow will bounce around in the base below the bean holder.

As it is,..if your airflow is powerful enough for some of it to actually do its job in the bean holder,.. because of the direction it will enter,.you might end up with a stockpile of beans mounding up on the side of the pot where the air enters the pot. This pile of beans will likely become too heavy to move sufficiently and burning may result.

If you could come up with some way to harness that airflow and shoot it upward evenly without losing the air power needed to jiggle the beans about,.. that would be great.

The way the popper works,.. the air vents are angled to direct the airflow so the corn kernels(in our case beans) are continually moved/tumbled by the turbulent flow of air. I think it might be difficult to create similar with what you have, considering its size and the airflow youll need,. so maybe the agitation of beans will need to be mechanical.

Comment

Koffee Kosmo if you add a tee or y join where you have the blower tube you can use a lpg burner we have these at work I will get a photo today.But I think you need a vent in the bottom part for the heat to circulate.
                      Have you thought of making something like I use which is a H/g pot roaster similiar to Corretto?

Comment

Agitator sketch

Now we have to address the heat source

Perhaps use a heat gun
                        OR
                        Open bottom of pot and get direct heat from BBQ and dont use the hairdryer

The main reason I have gone this path is to have a safer system for home use and stop accidental burns

When beans are roasted all one needs to do is to lift off the insert by the handle
                        and start the cooling procces
                        The rest of the equipment can cool down in its own time  

Comment

Here is the gas torch[img] [/img]

Comment

I think it will work it looks the goods

The main reason I came up with this sketch is safety
                            By removing the roasted beans by the handle on the insert you will avoid nasty burns
                            The rest of the equipment can cool down in its own time

Here is a mod sketch for
                            1 direct heat from under
                            2 Stir/agitator

Pot bottom section to be cut out and get direct heat from BBQ grill

Comment

Hey marty
                              follow this link to UTube its what i have in mind but with an insert so it can be removed easy and not get burned
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF4O-uoQkSU&feature=related

Comment

Working...
                              X