Please help me build my new roaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me build my new roaster.

I think I finally found a roaster idea that really appeals to me. Part of it (the heat source) is easy and compact,. however,..the bean tray and stirrer part is where I am going to need help. Please offer any advice and ideas you have.

Firstly I just want to say,.. in putting together this roaster, the priority after roast capability/quality is... compactnes/neatness,. a no fuss setup that I can pull out of cupboard and plug in,.. and after the roast... put away just as quickly.

Here is what I would like to put together.
    http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

Here is a YouTube video of this type of setup
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQi0IGTglw8

Here is what I bought from and evil place last night

Here is the rotisserie motor I already have(not all was lost buying this I suppose)

So I have the heat source taken care of,.. it goes up to 250deg c , but it is the base part that I am having a tough time sorting out.

The base:
    The base you see in the pics,.. is a West Bend Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper but after doing some research,.. it seems like it can only be purchased in the US. I have searched everywhere for anything like it in Australia,. but no luck...and the cost to buy this unit from the US and then have it converted (by a qualified electrician ) to run on our 240v circuit would not be very cost effective. There is nothing that I can find anywhere in the stores, or online in Australia that has this kind of stirrer action.

I have looked at a couple of chicken rotisseries (upright) online,..with the idea to pull apart(if I could pick them up for a song) and use the base with rotating motor and also be a neater switch option. One was called OSTER Vertical Carousel Rotisserie and the other the Mistral Rotisserie Oven. Both of these I cannot tell by the pictures alone whether it would even be possible to easily pull these apart, or whether the size would be proportional to the Turbo 300 top, since I cannot find diameter measurments for either. Will have the measurements for the Turbo 3000 as soon as it arrives of course.

So,. assuming that the roasters above are unsuitable for the job, my next option would be to construct something myself to do similar to the Stir Crazy Popper.  I was thinking SS pot,. drill hole in middle to house rotisserie rod and attach stirrers, but to actually do this neatly/most easily is something I need ideas for.

So what do you think so far?,.. could this work?  

Sometimes I think it would be easier to live in the US.... they have everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Please help me build my new roaster.

Hey Remy
    this conduction unit has steel ring extender
    Connect the ring to a normal s/steel pot
    Drill hole in the centre of the pot and connect a motor to a home made agitator by a shaft

I like this convection oven set up and there is only 2 u tube videos about them

This is the best one

Koffee Kosmo

Comment

This has already been done buy a CSer.
      Have you done a site search?

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1209298581/0#1 date=1209300333
        Hey Remy
        this conduction unit has steel ring extender
        Connect the ring to a normal s/steel pot
        Drill hole in the centre of the pot and connect a motor to a home made agitator by a shaft

I like this convection oven set up and there is only 2 u tube videos about them

This is the best one

Koffee Kosmo
        Hi KK,.yes it does have the ring extender in it,. I made sure it did before I bought it. Yep I was thinking of doing just that,.. use extender,. drill hole for rotisserie rod in centre of SS pot. The link you gave me was the same Youtube link I put in my post. Do you know of another video?

Any ideas how to hook up the motor under the pot? A neat way,..and so that is stays relatively cool (though it is a BBQ rotisserie motor and can take some heat). I was thinking maybe another shallower pot or colander with holes. Would need to be pretty sturdy because these turbo 3000 things are a bit weighty and glass of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1209298581/0#2 date=1209300417
          This has already been done buy a CSer.
          Have you done a site search?
          Yeah I have,.. but at the time I didnt know what the name of these things turbo roaster things were. Will do another search. I dont reckon there would be an Aussie CSr with this setup that includes the bottom part being a Stir Crazy Popper though.. but it would certainly be interesting to see how he/she made the bottom bit.

Comment

Remy

Use the exsisting stand that holds the original glass bowl
            Get s/steel pot to fit and make the stand a little higher (extend the legs)

Secure motor on  peace of material and secure it between the legs to stop rotation
            The rotis or carousel above can slide out for mods and cleaning

Note when you get the unit see if you can turn the stand upside down and use the base as the new pot stand and the handles as the legs
            That will give ground clearence

the other link with s/s pot
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwL4HNwm2fs&NR=1
            KK

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1209298581/0#5 date=1209303774
              Remy

Use the exsisting stand that holds the original glass bowl
              Get s/steel pot to fit and make the stand a little higher (extend the legs)
              Yes by jimminy.. just by looking at the pictures I think that is totally doable!

Secure motor on  peace of material and secure it between the legs to stop rotation
              The rotis or carousel above can slide out for mods and cleaning
              these motors come with the brackets to hold them on the BBQ,.... I have a bracket already that I could fix in place undeneath and slide the motor into it. Too easy. (she says without seeing the turbo unit in front of her to check what the under surface is made of... though *gasp* I think it might be some sort of stone)

Note when you get the unit see if you can turn the stand upside down and use the base as the new pot stand and the handles as the legs
              That will give ground clearence
              great idea,.. from the pics... that looks doable too.

the other link with s/s pot
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwL4HNwm2fs&NR=1
              KK
              Thanks KK,.. have actually seen that one, yeah true,..the other one is heaps better. There is actually another vid..but not worth chasing.. it really just demostrates how to take a video of the reflection of trees on the glass lid of your turbo roaster so that you cannot see inside very well,lol.

Comment

Hi Remy,Target in Melbourne were selling a popcorn machine the same as stir crany popper but it was a Bratz branded thing nice and pink .If you can get one of these it will need the heating element disconnected.

Comment

Originally posted by martybean link=1209298581/0#7 date=1209328551
                  Hi Remy,Target in Melbourne were selling a popcorn machine the same as stir crany popper but it was a Bratz branded thing nice and pink .If you can get one of these it will need the heating element disconnected.
                  Oh wow.. so they have been here in Aus. I was in Target here yesterday and nothing. Thanks Marty.. Ill check out Target in other cities.

Comment

Using a SS stock pot is probably cheaper than any "stir crazy" appliance. Look for a pot that is no deeper than about 20cm. Diameter can be smaller then the lid of the turbo oven, and you can find some heat resistant silicon tubing to line the rim of the pot to seal the roasting chamber, and keep the turbo oven from moving around quite readily. For smoke, drill some small holes near the top. For chaff, cut a small slit up the side of the pot near the bottom, about 10-12cm long and about 4mm wide.

Drill a hole in the bottom for the shaft of your rotisserie motor. Take one of the rotisseries meat holders, and straighten out the prongs to make a bean stirrer out of it.

Comment

Pink Bratz appliance is made by Brevile and it it is a fairy floss maker See Below If thats what Marty has seen

Bratz Fairy Floss Maker
                      BBFF100

Spins delicious fluffy fairy floss in minutes -Experience the magic of creating your own fairy floss. Enjoy endless hours of fun, creating fluffy treats.

Features
                      • Detachable lightweight bowl for easy cleaning
                      • Non slip feet for added safety and stability
                      • Splash guard makes collecting fairy floss safe and simple
                      • Includes measuring cup
                      • BONUS paper cones

RRP $69.95

Comment

Originally posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1209298581/0#9 date=1209337910
                        Using a SS stock pot is probably cheaper than any "stir crazy" appliance.
                        true.. and less Bratz pink as it looks like it will be  :.  Id probably need to have it shipped too (if I find one at all that is... might have been an xmas special thing),....will have a bit of a look first but unless I find it is super cheap.. and worth saving my time and trouble down the SS pot route,.. I think Ill just go the SS pot especially after reading your post full of good ideas.

Look for a pot that is no deeper than about 20cm.
                        Yeah,.. I was actually thinking shallow-ish, like whats in the video and similar to the Stir Crazy Popper,.. so maybe a deep frypan??..it would probably be easier to find a wide enough circumferance to better fit the turbo head without getting too much depth. Though I have been wondering about the heat source being too close to the beans but should be ok though yes?? Oh though the guy uses the expander ring too hmmmmm.

Diameter can be smaller then the lid of the turbo oven, and you can find some heat resistant silicon tubing to line the rim of the pot to seal the roasting chamber, and keep the turbo oven from moving around quite readily.
                        great idea!!

For smoke, drill some small holes near the top.  For chaff, cut a small slit up the side of the pot near the bottom, about 10-12cm long and about 4mm wide.
                        Depending on what the expander ring is made of (could be aluminium??)and whether it would sit nicely on top of whatever pot /frypan I get,.. would drill holes in that,..probably thinner and easier to manage while drilling. If the expander is ok to use.... I will take that shopping with me to find a suitable pot/frypan.  Yep for the chaff...that might actually be the hardest thing to do in all of this...whoot!

Drill a hole in the bottom for the shaft of your rotisserie motor.  Take one of the rotisseries meat holders, and straighten out the prongs to make a bean stirrer out of it.
                        OMG!! that is so clever.. and that will be dead easy to do... way to go!!! thanks so much WOTB... I am actually very excited about this now.. I think I can do this without too much difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1209298581/0#10 date=1209342142
                          Pink Bratz appliance is made by Brevile and it it is a fairy floss maker See Below If thats what Marty has seen

Bratz Fairy Floss Maker
                          BBFF100

Spins delicious fluffy fairy floss in minutes -Experience the magic of creating your own fairy floss. Enjoy endless hours of fun, creating fluffy treats.  

Features
                          •  Detachable lightweight bowl for easy cleaning
                          •  Non slip feet for added safety and stability
                          •  Splash guard makes collecting fairy floss safe and simple
                          •  Includes measuring cup
                          •  BONUS paper cones

RRP $69.95
                          Yes I actually saw that appliance yesterday. (Marty,.. is this what you were referring to earlier??). Apart from the price being a bit more than I would like to pay for the bottom section,.. I quickly decided it would be an expensive risk (even if I was ok paying $69.95 for it) as it might not work at all. It looks like it certainly would need a lot of mods including replacement bowl/pot anyway because from memory..its plastic. and youd need to strip the whole thing down and house all the motor in heat proof box,.. so really the only good part in it would be the motor (though I think the rotation might be a bit fast for the job) and I already have the motor.  Besides....suppose it was perfect for the job,.. I dont think I could stand the howling noise.....no not from the machine..... from my three kids.  Can you imagine if I brought this home and started pulling it apart to use it for roasting coffee beans?? OMG I  shudder at the thought of doing that... all mayhem would break out,.. theyd be angry with me and hubby would be like..... what were you thinking??  : ;D

EDITED TO ADD: Just found this info.. though admittedly it is a commercial machine....The motor is 0.25hp, 240volt, 50hz, 2860rpm   . I know my rotisserie motor will be a little slow for the job,.. but at least the beans will not be turned into dust,lol 

Comment

Hmmm.....Remy wants a "no fuss setup that I can pull out of cupboard and plug in,.. and after the roast... put away just as quickly."

I think I can see another gene user in the not so distant future! :

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1209298581/0#13 date=1209345407
                              Hmmm.....Remy wants a "no fuss setup that I can pull out of cupboard and plug in,.. and after the roast... put away just as quickly."

I think I can see another gene user in the not so distant future!  :
                              Yes... you could be right there.... only one major factor stoppin moi....

Comment

Working...
                              X