Gene Cafe noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Cafe noise

OK so finally the time has come, somebody that has too much time on there hands and wont mind their own business has complained that whatever I am drilling and cooking on the verandah of my unit is polluting their unit and sooner or later I am going to become homeless : (though apparently I do this at 3am ;D)

so it appears the faithful correto has to go, roasting away from home is an option but not a good one as it would mean I have to roast more coffee less often and travel costs start to make it not worth it

so in steps the Gene what I would like to know is how noisy these things are, compared to a correto and even a popper, I am assuming the drilling whinge has something to do with the beans being paddled around the breadmaker drum rather than the noise of the heatgun but still quieter the better

can they be used indoors? I live on a main road and normally roast during peak hour so as not to make noise when there normally isnt any but perhaps keeping it inside may also help

Re: Gene Cafe noise

Originally posted by Sunbeamer link=1210674457/0#0 date=1210674456
    so in steps the Gene   what I would like to know is how noisy these things are, compared to a correto and even a popper
    Compared to a popper, probably around the same noise. The beans rolling and jumping inside the chamber get a little noisy in the popper. The Gene constantly makes a noise as it rotates the cylinder.

can they be used indoors? I live on a main road and normally roast during peak hour so as not to make noise when there normally isnt any but perhaps keeping it inside may also help
    If you have a really good rangehood and it can draw out the smoke when it starts, then yes. If you live on a main road, you wont be able to hear the GC going with the amount of cars going past.

-Linda

Comment

hi sunbeamer..
      i use my Gene inside, in the motorhome, on a bread board under the rangehood, with the rangehoods fan on its highest speed.
      you can barely hear the Gene over the sound of the rangehoods fan and the sounds of FC are easily to hear, although for SC i have to concentrate a bit.

to make the extraction of any roasting smell and SC s puff of smoke as effective as possible, i take one of the filter mesh panels out of the rangehood, so the air gets sucked up without any hindrance (our rangehood vents out on the roof of the bus...)
      1 hour post roast there is no residual smell in the bus... just in my hair from hanging over the Gene watching the beans  go round ;D

L

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeamer link=1210674457/0#0 date=1210674456

so in steps the Gene what I would like to know is how noisy these things are, compared to a correto and even a popper,

Sunbeamer,

Greg has written up a review with sound clips:

http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/gene-hottop/

Compares the Gene and the Hottop - with some comments re the Corretto as well...

Worthwhile reading/listening

Comment

IMHO  the Gene is quieter than a Corretto (the combined noise of HG and bm paddle can
          make SC hard to pick) and about on a par with a popper (where hearing the cracks is fairly
          easy because the beans are between the noise of the motor and your ear).

I quickly learnt how to distinguish cracks on the Gene (but remember I trained my
          ears on an iRoast ). Listening at the air outlet helps. Even inside with a range hood was
          not much trouble -- this is because the hood is above the roaster, and the spectral
          characteristics of SC are quite different from the hood noise.

Comment

hazbean,

Id have to agree to disagree!!!

Maybe you had a noisy heatgun.... but with the Corretto and a Ryobi 2 speed.... both first and second cracks were loud and clear...... probably easier to hear than with the Hottop but definitely a lot easier than the Gene (I put that down to the sides of the bowl concentrating the sounds of the cracks and focussing them upwards....

IMHO the Gene is MUCH harder to hear the cracks than either the HT or the Corretto.... especially SC.... as the beans are rolling/tumbling over that SS paddle (which also bangs back and forward) and there is quite a bit of air noise as well..... add to that the switching on and off of the thermostat.... (sounds just like the first snaps of FC.....)

When Greg and I tested the Gene and Hottop I was very disappointed how hard it was to hear the cracks on the Gene..... and the cool down time was also a concern.... An external cooler is really required for the Gene (or stop the roast 20-30 seconds before you should as it roasts on for that long!!)

Comment

JavaB, Fair enough, I may have been more negative than I intended to be about the
              Corretto: I did use some different BMs, and on one of them there was a lot of noise from
              the paddle, but the Sunbeam Bakehouse I used most didnt cause a problem. So on reflection I
              think there is some variability with BMs, but for the most part it will be quite easy to hear the cracks.

And I do agree that there is a number of sounds to contend with with the Gene. This demands
              concentration, but I have rarely had trouble distinguishing the crack sounds. Would like to
              watch a HT one day -- will try to con Greg into a demo

But actually Sunbeamer was asking more (I think)  about noise levels as might be heard from
              a distance. In other words, what would you get if you took sound level readings a short
              distance from the device.  In that respect, I think the Gene would be less intrusive.

Comment

Sunbeamer,

I would say that the loudest part of the gene is the fan which is no loader than a hair dryer.

When I use my gene indoors I put a box fan into the kitchen window and keep the gene just below that. I find this adequate in removing any smoke generated by the gene.

Comment

Im with the roasting inside with the Gene people as well!

I dont put mine under the exhaust fan however I do turn it on and just open a window! Ive got a 12 foot ceiling so dont have any problem with smoke in the house.

To me the Gene has that noisey flappy paddle thingy (yep, thats a technical term folks! ) inside the drum but it would be no noisier than running a microwave other than that, IMHO.

And its lovely to have that wonderful smell of roasting beans in the house! Though, it doesnt seem to last forever either.

Sorry to hear about your cranky neighbour, Sunbeamer. I mean, if youre going to live in close proximity to people, surely youve got to expect some noise!? Otherwise, do what Ive done and live on six acres. Noise and annoying neighbour problem solved. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by hazbean link=1210674457/0#6 date=1210682169

But actually Sunbeamer was asking more (I think) about noise levels as might be heard from
                    a distance. In other words, what would you get if you took sound level readings a short
                    distance from the device. In that respect, I think the Gene would be less intrusive.
                    Ah missed that bit! :-[

Id say all hot air roasters (iRoast, Corretto and Gene) are reasonably similar in NAF (Neighbour Annoyance Factor).... with a slight margin in favour of the iRoast for lower noise..... Lots of air flow and noisy fans in all of them....

But the iRoast and Gene could be used inside where thats not possible with the Corretto. The Hottop would win the low ambient noise stakes hands down IMHO.... No noisy fans, rattling "noisey flappy paddle thingy".... love that description Scoots .... there is just a computer fan which turns on towards the end of the roast (you can hardly hear it) and the beans rolling around in the drum..... The most noise is at the end of the roast when the beans fall into the SS cooling tray.

Would like to watch a HT one day -- will try to con Greg into a demo Smiley
                    Im sure Greg would be happy to oblige....

Comment

I have a Hearthware Gourmet, Hearthware Precision, Hearthware iRoast2, had two Poppery Is, have a Genecafe, and 4 Hottops (sold the fifth). The Genecafe is quieter then the air roasters, but the Hottop is virtually silent. It is difficult to tell it is running until you add the beans. The Genecafe is easier to vent if used indoors, but reports seem to indicate that it wont last as long as the Hottop. The manual control of the Hottop KB-8828B, and then having the opportunity to save up to three profiles at the end of the roast as well as a real cooling tray also make it superior to the Genecafe, IMO. I dont know about price differential down in your half f the planet...

[DISCLAIMER: I have worked, and still work, as an independent contractor for Hottop, but am not an employee.]

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G. link=1210674457/0#10 date=1210692592
                        .....The Genecafe is easier to vent if used indoors, but reports seem to indicate that it wont last as long as the Hottop......
                        That will be interesting to see Randy...

My 2 gene cafes have done about 200kg and 50 kg respectively and neither has ever missed a beat....

I like being able to go back to back without the roast "memory" of the hottop. I frequently found that after a couple of batches I couldnt get to 2nd crack before the beans dumped.....Frustrating...

I can cope with the infinite control of the Gene...100% adjustability

Chris

Comment

My comments were based on a few reports here in the states of failed heating elements. Maybe an anomaly or possibly a run of some bad assemblies...? If you can deal with the lack of being able to save profiles, and the lack of efficient cooling, the genecafe is a good deal for the price and creates a very nice roast. The ambition to create such a design is to be admired. I disassembled mine for review purposes and was impressed.

As to the Hottop, what model do you have? The recent versions have a pretty good program that cools the roaster quite well before it allows the restarting of a subsequent roast. I do not recall having that problem in the past, though..

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G. link=1210674457/0#12 date=1210727600
                            My comments were based on a few reports here in the states of failed heating elements. Maybe an anomaly or possibly a run of some bad assemblies...? If you can deal with the lack of being able to save profiles, and the lack of efficient cooling, the genecafe is a good deal for the price and creates a very nice roast. The ambition to create such a design is to be admired. I disassembled mine for review purposes and was impressed.

As to the Hottop, what model do you have? The recent versions have a pretty good program that cools the roaster quite well before it allows the restarting of a subsequent roast. I do not recall having that problem in the past, though..
                            Hi Randy,

This issue was common across many Australian digital Hottops with the inability to roast more than a couple of batches within 21 minutes + the additional 3 minutes which you can add.

Combined with a difficult exporter, price and batch size, it was enough for me to decide to move Talk Coffee on to the Gene Cafe which is presently little over 50% of the price of the Hottop programable.

Another factor was on presentation of two default roasts, one from each roaster roasted to the same point, a CS sponsor master roaster chose the Gene Cafe as the preferred option (more even roast and less tipping) and subsequently purchased one to use as a sample roaster.

For me, that was a compelling argument!

Nevertheless, each to his own

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210674457/0#11 date=1210717364
                              Originally posted by Randy G. link=1210674457/0#10 date=1210692592
                              .....The Genecafe is easier to vent if used indoors, but reports seem to indicate that it wont last as long as the Hottop......
                              That will be interesting to see Randy...

My 2 gene cafes have done about 200kg and 50 kg respectively and neither has ever missed a beat....

I like being able to go back to back without the roast "memory" of the hottop. I frequently found that after a couple of batches I couldnt get to 2nd crack before the beans dumped.....Frustrating...

I can cope with the infinite control of the Gene...100% adjustability

Chris
                              Chris,

Ive found with both the B and P Hottop controllers that long roast times arent really a problem. Ive hit FC at 8 minutes in the Hottop once so far. My roasts with the B controller so far reduce the heater power to about 60% after about 9 minutes and from there I continue to drop the power and increase the fan speed such that by the end the fans on flat out and heater powers about 30%. Despite this, all my roasts so far have been around the 17-19 minute mark - if I kept it at 100% power the whole time Id be guessing it could be over in 13-14 minutes which youd never dream of with a D controller. Compared to the newer controllers, the D really is a very basic and bland kettle of fish - out of the five roasters considered (Corretto, Gene and the 3 Hottops), the D IMHO has the slimmest market segment, appealing only in that it gets you into a HT at the cheapest price if you like the design of a HT. The new controllers take things to a whole new level - roast memory is still a problem (although its mainly in the first 6 minutes of the roast that the temp lags behind, catches up by FC) and the P controller gets around this as its programs are temperature-based not time-based. The HTs still have their annoyances though, not the least of which IMHO are the poor chaff handling and the greater difficulty with cleaning - GC is a breeze on both. The price argument of the GC is certainly a very compelling argument too.

In regards to this present discussion, the two benefits of the HT over a GC for you Sunbeamer would be 1) the noise factor and 2) the smoke factor - the oft-criticised replaceable filters on the HT reduce the amount of smoke particles that get out by a fairly significant portion over the GC which dumps 100% of the smoke particles to atmosphere. However I have roasted indoors with the GC and you can deal with it, particularly if you seal off the kitchen from the other rooms and keep the rangehood fan going flat out! Im sure the GCs noise wont bother your neighbour - its loud when youre trying to hear cracks, but not that loud! Check the review videos if youre interested.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X