Turbo Ovens - at Aldi for $49.99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Ovens - at Aldi for $49.99

Just got back from Aldi,.. and they have tonnes of these Turbo Ovens/Convection Ovens similar to what I am using for just $49.99. I bought the Turbo 3000 oven myself for $89 + $20 shipping a few weeks ago, so if this Aldi one is suitable... its a bargain at that price.

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_5068.htm#

I forgot to check what temps it goes to,.. and it looks like it might be a bit smaller than mine,.. so please dont buy it just on my recommendation,.. check out the max temp and make sure it will do the job first.

Re: Turbo Ovens - at Aldi for $49.99

Yeah I just came from Aldi
    Got that drill stand for $14.99
    The turbo ovens have a top temp of 250 celcius they look solid enough
    They look to be about 100 mm glass around motor unit
    KK

Comment

Hi there,
      I picked up one of these Convection Ovens from Aldi. looks the goods and indeed reaches 250c at maximum... Now my quest begins for a suitable bowl and bean agitating mechanism.. Ill keep you all posted.
      Im aiming for a max roast of a kilo..

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Javanation link=1211421295/0#2 date=1211704574
        Hi there,
        I picked up one of these Convection Ovens from Aldi. looks the goods and indeed reaches 250c at maximum... Now my quest begins for a suitable bowl and bean agitating mechanism.. Ill keep you all posted.
        Im aiming for a max roast of a kilo..

cheers
        whoohoo,..look forward to watching your progress.

Comment

ooh i likey

Comment

Has anyone tried the Aldi roaster for coffee beans?

Comment

Hi there Remy,

Thanks for hte tip on the aldi ovens. I after seeing this post, I thought it had to be worth a try making one for $50. I was originally thinking something on the bbq, but it just seemed a bit complex. When I saw your main post covering the construction of your roaster, I knew this was for me, and at $50 it got the project started. So I now have an aldi turbo oven. I went and got the base today - hopefully it is ok. $15 for a stainless steel mixing bowl which matches very close with the aldi lid. It is about 16cm high, and tapers to a flat 14cm base. Ill chase up a motor and base in the next few days hopefully.

What I am wondering about most is smoke/husks, and where to make an exit for these. Should the hole be in a certain spot - or anywhere will do? I think I sort of understand how your exit works Remy, but im thinking the best for me is just to put a hole. Any tips?

Thanks, Damian.

Comment

I think after a quick experiment I have figured out where the hole should go in the container. I put a handfull of husks from a previous roast from my popper into turbo oven, and the husks rotated at quite a speed from the edge of the base to about 10cm up the sides. Im thinking a little hole just above the level the coffee beans will sit would be good. Any higher than about 10cm and I dont think any husks would exit.

I also have my motor (Jaycar 36rpm as used elsewhere). Hopefully I can now get it all together and start roasting!

Comment

Something to be aware of Damian....

Pointed out to me some time ago by "nunu" who also used a similar home setup, was to, rather than drill or cut a hole for the chaff to escape, cut a slot instead as this allows all of the chaff to exit but ensures that all the beans remain inside.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal. A slot sounds like a good idea. I will cut a very thin slot, and then maybe bend in one of the cut edges of the bowl a touch to direct the husks in the whirlpool motion (anticlockwise on mine) out of the roaster.

Comment

Try without the bend first.
                      The slots Ive seen dont have them and by all accounts dont need it.
                      The air escaping through the slot should be enough to direct the chaff out.

Comment

Thanks Thundergod. Can I ask how long and wide you would recommend the slot?

Comment

Its hard to tell from the pictures Ive seen but my educated guess (all factors considered) would be to start with 1cm long and about 2mm wide.

In might not seem like much but better to err on the conservative side.

Comment

Thanks Thundergod. yeah it sounds like a good idea to start small, and can always make it bigger if it doesnt do the job.

Ill post more pics of progress soon!

Comment

Well after finishing my motor, etc, I set it all up and got roasting. First batch 400gms. No FC after 35 mins. Second batch 400gms inside instead of out for higher temp. No FC after 25 mins. So I thought the oven must be under temperature. I put it on the kitchen bench with my oven thermometer to test, and watched what happened. It made it up to 170-190 degrees, and stayed there for about 5 minutes before a big pop!

I think I will be taking this back to Aldi!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X