Pot for Turbo Oven  roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot for Turbo Oven  roaster

Went looking for a pot for my EasyCook E737 turbo roaster. I took the lid and went to Hot Dollar in Chullora. I picked up a stainless steel bowl for five bucks odd. It fits perfectly under the lip on the edge of the lid so there is absolutely no movement. One would think it was an accessory made for it. My next stop was going to be Repco to get some silicon tubeing to stop the lid moving but now I dont need it. Another couple of bucks saved  

The flat base is raised slightly about 1 mm in the centre leaving about 3 cm unraised on the circumference. In other words the base has a raised section about 1mm high. Hope this explains it as I do not have it in front of me. Getting confused myself. :-/

Re: Pot for Turbo Oven  roaster

so, what do you plan to use as a bean agitator? a wiper motor arrangement? Im asking because Im thinking of making a similar roaster soon.

cheers

Comment

Well I had several "ideas", first was a variable speed electric drill, then a 36 RPM motor that Koffee Kosmo suggested from Jaycar, but I was having trouble lining up the shaft of a potential stirrer with the motor shaft using a coupling I bought. Results in uneven twisting motion. Then I broke off one of the small terminals on the motor. A bit flimsy. The motor itself has plenty of torque. I just ran it with an old 12v power supply with the connector plug cut off.

Soooo, back to my first idea of using my variable speed electric drill. Mounting it upside down to line up with the centre of the bowl is my main concern at the moment. The drill is a bit cumbersome due to shape and weight of battery. I can run it long enough at a low speed without probs.

I am at this stage, just going to use a thin steel rod about the thickness of a welding rod, which I suppose could also be used.  I will run it up through the centre of the pot through a bush made from an old brass hose connection or imilar as suggested by Koffee Kosmo. The bush (hose connection) slips through the hole in pot base and locks in with a nut underneath. Looking around the markets I found several other options such as various threaded connections of different lengths and diameters (try Bunnings also) so I think I will go for the smallest one to suit my steel rod and keep it not too high off the pot floor otherwise thermocouple use may be hindered. Bend the rod at right angles coming out of the bush, cut it off a millimetre or so from the pot edge and hopefully it will be sufficient to move the beans. Not sure if it will need to be bent on the ends or not. I saw something similar on Youtube or one of those sites that seemed to work with a straight arm.

I was also thinking of using a rotisserie shaft and bending the prongs out. Others have used similar ideas. But I will try the rod first as it is cheaper and the hole to drill for the bush will be smaller.

Comment

Hope you dont mind me adding this CK.

Also,.. for those looking for a base,.. last Fri I discovered in the Reject Shop, a heavy SSteel wok/pan. The shape of the bowl and thickness of the metal looked perfect!!! (and looked about the same size in diameter of the Stir Crazy base,..which although smaller than my Turbo Oven, turns out is perfect size when used with two extension rings which worked out great for smoke/chaff extraction & air circulation)

Comment

Mmm, sounds good, I will have a look at those. Where did you get 2nd extension ring, or did you make it. I know some brands come with one but others ity is an accessory option. For mine $23, a bit pricey.

Remy, could you measure the diameter of your TO lid? I am thinking of buying an Aldi one for a spare but I cant take it out of the box in the store to check. I dont want an odd size for a spare. Thanx

Comment

If you can get a stir crazy popper base its your easy option
            A voltage convertor is about $35.00 AU
            or a better quality one starts at $66.00 AU see link

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:Y92V8PYBJ2EJ:www.tortech.com.au/stepdown.html+step+down+voltage+converter&hl=en&ct =clnk&cd=10&gl=au

It may cost a little more at the beginning but less problems and cost later on

KK

Comment

Originally posted by cremakid link=1211523482/0#4 date=1211755051
              Mmm, sounds good, I will have a look at those. Where did you get 2nd extension ring, or did you make it. I know some brands come with one but others ity is an accessory option. For mine $23, a bit pricey.

Remy, could you measure the diameter of your TO lid? I am thinking of buying an Aldi one for a spare but I cant take it out of the box in the store to check. I dont want an odd size for a spare. Thanx
              My TO is not the Aldi one, it is called Turbo 3000.. which I purchased from the bay of evil. The diameter of the lid is 315mm and it came with the extension ring. The base I am using is a Stir Crazy (US popcorn appliance) which measures 300mm in diameter. It also came with an extension ring, however I am not sure whether MatthewG made it or whether it came with the unit originally, but it would be simple to make with a strip of SS. This ring is a few mm smaller and sits just on the lip of the base.

I decided to use both rings for the following reasons; The inner ring (SC base ring) was too small for the TO and the TO glass could easily slide off it. I could have used silicon rubber to stop this, but my solution came first. I placed the TO ring on also,.to sit the glass TO lid on securely but because this ring is too big for the SC base,.. it actually sits 7.5mm out from the base rim all way round,..but sits on top of the SC handles very neatly. When the unit is set up with both rings.. the outer TO ring sits 25mm higher than the inner SC base ring and what happens is,..the smoke and most of the chaff escape over the inner ring and down between the two rings,.. and out the bottom. Using both rings this way,.. it looks like I wont need to drill holes for smoke and chaff extraction in the extension ring like I had planned, because through fluke it works beautifully without doing this. Using both rings also helps to retain the heat too I think, despite there being this air gap all the way round,.. the TO still had plenty of heat left if I need it.

Comment

hi cremakid,

ive been using the electric drill approach for my TO roaster for over a year now, with minor hiccups and improvements along the way of course. have yet to make an elegant box to enclose everything though

Originally posted by cremakid link=1211523482/0#2 date=1211727506
                Soooo, back to my first idea of using my variable speed electric drill. Mounting it upside down to line up with the centre of the bowl is my main concern at the moment. The drill is a bit cumbersome due to shape and weight of battery. I can run it long enough at a low speed without probs.
                you may need to come up with a frame of some sort to hold the ss pot/bowl over the drill. you can use bricks to steady the drill (which i do sometimes).

I am at this stage, just going to use a thin steel rod about the thickness of a welding rod, which I suppose could also be used. I will run it up through the centre of the pot through a bush made from an old brass hose connection or imilar as suggested by Koffee Kosmo. The bush (hose connection) slips through the hole in pot base and locks in with a nut underneath. Looking around the markets I found several other options such as various threaded connections of different lengths and diameters (try Bunnings also) so I think I will go for the smallest one to suit my steel rod and keep it not too high off the pot floor otherwise thermocouple use may be hindered. Bend the rod at right angles coming out of the bush, cut it off a millimetre or so from the pot edge and hopefully it will be sufficient to move the beans. Not sure if it will need to be bent on the ends or not. I saw something similar on Youtube or one of those sites that seemed to work with a straight arm.
                this sounds like a reasonable solution. all you need to do is get the beans at the bottom and sides moving. if youre using a ss bowl, the shape of the bowl will help with this

good luck

Comment

you may need to come up with a frame of some sort to hold the ss pot/bowl over the drill. you can use bricks to steady the drill (which i do sometimes).
                  I found an old round 1960s retro, chrome, padded stool amongst my junk. It has four legs and after the seat was ripped off and the stool turned upside down the bottoms of the legs fit perfectly under the rim of the bowl. The holes where the cushion was screwed on to the legs is what I used to screw what is now a chrome stand onto a workbench.  I have secured the drill to one side of a corner shelf bracket with a hose clamp and will screw the other side to the bench. Without measuring it, so far it appears to be heading for the centre of the bowl which I havent drilled as yet. I am doing this in dribs and drabs in between looking after my granddaughter. Five mins here 10 mins there etc.
                  Today I found an old discarded sewing machine and pulled the guts out and got a variety of shafts and bushes to play around with. So far some of them look very promising. Anyway I will post some pics when I get it in a bit better shape.

Had to edit this as I appear to have left a few words out. It now makes a little more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by cremakid link=1211523482/0#8 date=1211782848
                    I found an old round 1960s retro, chrome, padded stool amongst my junk...
                    I have secured the drill to one side of the bracket with a hose clamp and will screw the other side to the bench...
                    Today I found an old discarded sewing and pulled the guts out and got a variety of shafts and bushes to play around with...
                    i love it. looking forward to see how it all unfolds

Comment

Working...
                    X