Home roast Virgin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home roast Virgin

Am wanting to start home roast and want any tips/advice on what is the best roaster to buy...

Re: Home roast Virgin

Depends a lot on whether youd like to build your own corettos, popcorn poppers, or buy a dedicated roaster such as the gene, hottop etc.

need to be a little more specific budget, space etc

Comment

Hi govorko1974! And welcome to the forums!

Easily the simplest way to get into home roasting is to go and out and buy yourself a Popcorn Popper.

These are probably the best way to introduce yourself to it, and it offers the most enjoyable way to roast beans.

If we can offer any help just ask away, just about everybody here has started off this way.

-Linda

Comment

For the best bang for your roasting buck I dont think you can beat the Corretto.

It cost me around $100 to set it up and the results are amazing. (Have just completed my second roast)

$40 for a new Heat Gun (Ryobi 2 speed 2000W)
        $40 for a new DMM Temperature Data Logger from Coffee Snobs
        $10 for a used Palsonic Breadmaker from ebay. Make sure the BM you buy has a metal paddle and the knead cycle spins continuously for at least 20 minutes.)
        $20 for 2.5kg Green Bean Starter Pack (also from Coffee Snobs which will yield you approx 2 kg of freshly roasted brown beans)

Everything else I had either around the house (i.e. fan) or with a bit of ingenuity, made up from bits I had around the house (i.e. adjustable HG stand & bean cooler).

The only other thing you need to do is read up on all the posts. Its all here on the forum!

So Im happy as Larry and thankful to all Coffee Snobs members for their helpful advice and especially Belinda....

So jump in and get hooked! 8-)

Comment

Thanks to all folks for the replies..am looking for the easiest way to get started and simple way..i.e dont need to build a rocket ship as would need something that is easy to use and easy to store away afterwards..please feel free to put what ever advice you feel like as the more i get the better my choice will be

Comment

Well definately the popcorn popper is the way to go for ease of setup and put away. Check out the pop corn popper posts, there are lots to check out.

Comment

A popcorn popper is probably the cheapest way to get mediocre results unless you do some modding to it. Unmodified they tend to roast too fast and you end up with a very bright cup (high acidity). That can be OK for drip, but is not very palatable for espresso. They are also low in capacity so you will be roasting often.

The Corretto setup looks like a great way to go for the money if you are into that sort of cobbling... If I didnt have 4 Hottops, an iRoast2, a Hearthware precision, a Hearthware Gourmet, and a Genecafe, I probably would build one... I wonder if my wife would miss one of her many bread machines...? :

I think the only way to beat it is if you have a BBQ that you can use by buying or building a drum for it.

there is a learning curve for all the above, but there are sufficient resources online that you should get a handle on he basics quickly.

Of the commercial air roasters, the iRoast2 is decent, but they are noisy.

The Genecafe is an excellent machine. Well designed and makes an excellent coffee.

The current top of the heap (IMO) is the Hottop. Amazingly well built, but quite a bit of $$$$

I have reviews of the last 3 on my webste.

Comment

You can also just give it a try with a heat gun and a stainless steel bowl

This is a hand stirring system but it works fine for small batches

KK

Comment

I beg to differ KK.

Before my corretto I did many dozens of batches in a bowl and dont consider 600g a small batch.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1212140764/0#8 date=1212450011
                    I beg to differ KK.

Before my corretto I did many dozens of batches in a bowl and dont consider 600g a small batch.
                    TG
                    Bowl size is relative to batch size
                    I agree 600 gr is not a small batch in fact it could be enough coffee for 3 weeks but for me 1.5 weeks

Still its a good way to start roasting just to get the feel of it (and get great results)

P.S TG I still like your coretto set up
                    Gorvoko1974 you should see the set up TG has its somewhere in the roasters section posted about 2 weeks ago

KK

Comment

thanks to all for your advice and comments...will read them all and take it all in...thanks to all

Comment

Working...
                      X