Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Corretto worth?

Gday all.

Simple question: what do commercial roasters that can handle between 300g-1kg green beans (like a Corretto) cost?

This is a purely self-indulgent question; Im just trying to figure out how much money we saved! Oh, sure, its not as controlled and its less automated, but I kind of like having control over things. Once we learn to drive the thing properly Im sure we can customise the roast as well as on any commercial roaster.

Cheers
    Stuart.

Re: What is a Corretto worth?

To me a Corretto is piceless but to build on will only cost you about $100 or around that mark!! The roasts produced by this method equal or better the Hottop and Gene Cafe but at a fraction of their cost price..............
    Corretto is named after a CS member who thought up the idea!

Comment

Also other methods of home roasting are available like the Turbo Oven or BBQ drum ect . ect.
      In the end its up to the individual " to make one or to buy one" ??

If one is not a DIY industrial type it may be best to purchase a Hot Top or EGene Eventualy they pay for themselves
      The choices are endless
      But in the end they do the same job (roast Coffee Beans)

KK

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1212640186/0#1 date=1212641756
        Corretto is named after a CS member who thought up the idea!
        Yep, for which we are truly grateful!

Hottop and GeneCafe are both a fair bit smaller in capacity, arent they? Not to mention their cost... which is what? $300-500?

Our Corretto (tested last night - works amazingly) cost around $80 including a bean cooler. Might end up nearer $100 once we pimp it out a little...

Cheers
        Stuart.

Comment

New a Gene Cafe cost $700-$800 depending where you shop. Quite a bit of expenditure but if you prefer the set and forget method it will eventually pay it self off over buying pre-roasted beans.

Comment

Thats right, MM; youre trading $$ for a repeatable, definable roast profile. Of course, Id like to think that once you get some experience with your roaster, you can offset a lot of that "lack of control".

For those following this thread, I should have looked here: (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163236012) for prices on the most common commercial roasters. Youre talking $800-1000 for a GeneCafe or Hottop, which have a limited capacity of 250-300g. Again, as MM said, I guess youll still come out on top in terms of $$ long before the roaster has shuffled off... but still.

Cheers
            Stuart.

Comment

At $700 for a Gene or Hottop against $100 for a corretto, youll take a lot longer to recoup your expenditure.

The question is about how much you want to pay for set and forget.

Comment

Just as a matter of interest.....

Thought Id test the new Ryobi HG out today with a sizeable roast batch. The batch size being 1.3Kg, Rolling FC occurred at just on 13 minutes with the roast pulled at 18 minutes about 10 seconds into SC and then immediately cooled. This realised a finished batch weight of 1.108Kg, equivalent to a moisture loss of 14.8% which is very close to what I normally aim for. Needless to say, I am very happy with my new Ryobi.... 8-)

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1212640186/0#6 date=1212664492
                  At $700 for a Gene or Hottop against $100 for a corretto, youll take a lot longer to recoup your expenditure.

The question is about how much you want to pay for set and forget.
                  More than likely you will go through multiple heat guns so that needs to be factored in. Maybe $200 -$250 is a better estimate.

Personally Ive just started roasting and am using a popper. As soon as I can source a decent second hand BM I will put together a corretto cause there is no way i can afford $700 for a roaster

Comment

Originally posted by Martial Monkey link=1212640186/0#8 date=1212677205
                    More than likely you will go through multiple heat guns so that needs to be factored in. Maybe $200 -$250 is a better estimate.
                    Thats probably being very pessimistic MM, which I suppose is not a bad thing. Lots of Corretto users here though who had reasonable quality heatguns to start with and so far have not had to replace them. I made the mistake of buying a cheapy when I started out, cost me all of $15.00 brand new but I still managed to get over 30(600g-1200g batches) roasts out of it. Have since bought the 2000W Ryobi that a lot of CSers use at around $50, and from all accounts I should get a few years out of this one.

With the Gene and the HotTop, these are not a buy and forget proposition either you know. Heating elements eventually blow/fail and must be replaced, depending on the model bought there can be quite complex electronics systems involved too which, if they fail, would not be cheap to repair/replace. So you need to account for a maintenance allocation with these machines too and Im not sure what would be a reasonable amount over say, 5 years. Anyway, you get the gist of what Im saying Im sure. If I get 2-2½ years out of my Ryobi Ill be very happy but Ill probably get quite a bit more than that..... 8-)

All the best,
                    Mal.

Comment

Some times it not always about the money its that we want to get as intimate with the process as possible. Knowing you hobbled together some components that werent designed for roasting and built a roaster is quite satisfying. We just use the money saving to justify it to ourselves. ;D

Later this year (Im already planning) Im going to construct my own PID for my silvia using the Arduino board as the controller. All up the components will cost around $100 (type K or T thermocouple probes arent that cheap or very available in Australia) but it will take around a month (minimum) to construct/program/debug. If i spent the time I will spend on this project working I would earn much more then the price of a complete PID kit and someone to install it for me. Im really doing this 1. to feel as though I am part of the inner workings of Silvia and 2. to build something with hardware and a language I am unfamiliar with. Despite this I justified it to myself by saying "$300 for a PID I could build one for less then $100" :

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1212640186/0#9 date=1212680721
                        Originally posted by Martial Monkey link=1212640186/0#8 date=1212677205
                        Thats probably being very pessimistic MM, which I suppose is not a bad thing. Lots of Corretto users here though who had reasonable quality heatguns to start with and so far have not had to replace them. I made the mistake of buying a cheapy when I started out, cost me all of $15.00 brand new but I still managed to get over 30(600g-1200g batches) roasts out of it. Have since bought the 2000W Ryobi that a lot of CSers use at around $50, and from all accounts I should get a few years out of this one.

With the Gene and the HotTop, these are not a buy and forget proposition either you know. Heating elements eventually blow/fail and must be replaced, depending on the model bought there can be quite complex electronics systems involved too which, if they fail, would not be cheap to repair/replace. So you need to account for a maintenance allocation with these machines too and Im not sure what would be a reasonable amount over say, 5 years. Anyway, you get the gist of what Im saying Im sure. If I get 2-2½ years out of my Ryobi Ill be very happy but Ill probably get quite a bit more than that..... 8-)

All the best,
                        Mal.
                        My first "cheapy" HG was the Ozito and it managed over 40 roasts before it died.
                        That was very cheap on a per roast basis.

My current "cheapy" is from Aldi and cost me $20.
                        Its gone through quite a few roasts already.
                        Definitely got my moneys worth so far.

I will be off soon to buy a Ryobi as a backup that should hopefully last a long while.

Comment

Originally posted by Martial Monkey link=1212640186/0#10 date=1212709865
                          Later this year (Im already planning) Im going to construct my own PID for my silvia using the Arduino board as the controller. All up the components will cost around $100 (type K or T thermocouple probes arent that cheap or very available in Australia) but it will take around a month (minimum) to construct/program/debug.
                          Sounds like an excellent project MM and the Arduino series are well supported. Regarding the t/couples, you can make your own you know for just a few dollars. Grab some t/couple cable of your preference and create a junction bead by Silver Soldering the bared ends of the cores together. Works a treat and I would imagine that you would get change from $10.00 depending on what length of cable you needed. Check out the info here.....

Cheers ,
                          Mal.

Comment

Neat. Thanks Mal - seems the way to go. I was looking at shipping from the states as $40 for a simple thermocouple was a bit extreme.

Comment

No worries MM,

Im sure you can get everything you need from within Oz, no need to look overseas. I used to manage a Process Control and Engineering Group many years ago and it was a rare day indeed when something we needed badly couldnt be sourced here.

All the best mate,
                              Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X