Gene Cafe - rating compared to a popper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Cafe - rating compared to a popper

Whats your personal opinion of coffee produced from a Gene Cafe roaster compared with a popcorn popper and commercial coffee? I know most feel that it produces better coffee than a popper but not as good as commercial so Im specifically wondering how youd rate the coffee produced from a Gene Cafe on a scale of 1 - 10 where coffee from a popper is 1 and commercial coffee is 10. I know theres alot of info on here about the Gene but I havent been able to gauge exactly how much better it is compared to a popper.

Re: Gene Cafe - rating compared to a popper

Gene Cafe is a programable set and forget machine with consistent results
    I feel consistency is not a strong point with the Popcorn Popper but is capable of good results
    To rate is difficult but the Gene Cafe would win hands down

KK

Comment

Agree with KK. There are so many different sorts of poppers there are really too many variables but theyre not designed to roast coffee. They do, but you can only control temperature etc with fairly agricultural hacks.

Compared to a commercial roaster, theyre very good. Check some of the state roast-offs under News I think it is where some Gene roasts came up very well compared to a commercial; not better but certainly close (as did some other roasters and roasting methods for that matter). Compared to a commercial my guess would be the Gene about 8.5.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by kohi link=1212643783/0#0 date=1212643783
        Whats your personal opinion of coffee produced from a Gene Cafe roaster compared with a popcorn popper and commercial coffee?
        I began roasting with a popcorn popper and used it for about 8 months before I purchased the GC. Coffee from GC is excellent from a prosumer point of view.
        Consistency with heat flow from the GC out performs the popper. I have had mine for just over a year now, and never once have I regretted buying it. I am a strong advocate of this machine, and I rate it at a 10.

I know most feel that it produces better coffee than a popper but not as good as commercial so Im specifically wondering how youd rate the coffee produced from a Gene Cafe on a scale of 1 - 10 where coffee from a popper is 1 and commercial coffee is 10.  I know theres alot of info on here about the Gene but I havent been able to gauge exactly how much better it is compared to a popper.
        Rate the coffee that comes out of the GC? and compared to a commercial machine? Ok.

10. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

-Linda

Comment

Dont forget there is one other BIG factor in comparing the output of any roaster.... including the Gene and HT etc....

And that is the skill and experience of the operator.....

A skilled roaster.... especially a "Master Roaster" will always get far better results from any particular piece of kit.....

However with appropriate skill and experience.... lots of experience that is!!!... the Gene and the HT can come pretty close to a quality commercial roast.... and can probably beat quite a few commercial roasts where the roaster doesnt have the knowledge and skill to get the most out of the beans.

Comment

However with appropriate skill and experience.... lots of experience that is!!!... the Gene and the HT can come pretty close to a quality commercial roast.... and can probably beat quite a few commercial roasts where the roaster doesnt have the knowledge and skill to get the most out of the beans.

Thats where Mal (a CS moderator) comes in for the not so confident roaster
            His Advice is priceless in this forum and I dont mind saying so
            Cudos to Mal
            KK

Comment

In general, I prefer my home roast in the Gene Cafe to even the best commercial roasts. Of course not everyone has the same tastes and at the Adelaide Roast Off there was some variation but again, in general, the Gene Cafe roasts compared very favourably to the commercial, sometimes being preferred, sometimes 2nd or 3rd.
              Greg

Comment

Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated. I agree with the comment re skill and experience of the operator. Ive been roasting with a popper for just over 3 years and I cant say Ive ever really been that happy with a roast Ive done in the 2 poppers Ive used in that time so I agree with Greg when he says that they were not designed to roast coffee. Not saying that most of you arent getting great results yourself - I just didnt like my results! Dont get me wrong, the popper has had its place, allowing me to fuel the obsession that is coffee roasting for little cost, Ive just always wanted something more and wont be content until I try. But then thats the journey isnt it.

Comment

38 years ago I didnt have the chance to get a Gene Cafe for my home roastery, we are so lucky now to get all the best gadgets, thanks to Gene and thanks to you for believing in it.

The petrol is out of price   but with Gene you will be able to save the extra $$$   and roast to perfection, better then a popper.

I would like to welcome Dennis Wells from Cuppacoffee as a Gene Cafe distributor Ask Dennis for a demo and taste la difference...

Sincerely,

Serge from Go Barista.com.au

Comment

Working...
                  X