X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring Panasonic SD-200 Breadmaker

========== edit by Andy ============
    Please Note:

Adam Murdoch from Energy Safe Victoria has just advised me in an email that:

"The modifications made to these bread makers may make the piece of equipment no longer comply with the relevant Australian standard AS/NZS 60335.2.9:2002"

He also said that these are
    "possibly dangerous modifications a bread maker"

I have asked Adam on behalf Energy Safe Victoria to provide us with an official warning paragragh to post in the top of the thread, here it is, please read and heed.

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) is the Victorian electricity safety regulator responsible for, amongst other things, the safety of electrical appliances.

The content of this site is very concerning and whilst ESV cannot prevent individuals from modifying electrical equipment we must warn of the risks.

No warranty in this event of failure is minor when compared to the risk of electrical shock, fire and the real possibility that should a fire occur, you may not be covered by insurance due to the cause was non-compliant and unsafe equipment.

Be warned.

===========================

Hi,

As promised, here is a quick overview of how to rewire a Panasonic SD-200.  The problem with this bread maker is that it doesnt really have a convenient "start spinning now" option.  But thats ok, because its really easy to bypass the circuitry.  Of cause, Im going to give the usual, "If you dont wanna look like Einstein - Dont do this without an electrician friend nearby" warning. But otherwise, its quite simple.

Here is a wiring diagram of what you need to do.  The switch is optional, but if you don’t include it, then you will need to turn it off and on at the power point.

So what we did was:

1. Pull the Neutral (negative) wire (white with orange stripes) off the circuit board (as shown in the photo below).
    2. Solder it to one side of a switch.
    3. Solder a wire from the other side of the switch.
    4. The other end of this wire needs to be soldered, on the reverse of the circuit board, to one end of the starting capacitor (as shown below).
    5. You can then remove everything else (eg. the control board and elements, along with their wires).
    6. The switch will now simply turn the motor on and off.

NB. You could actually just loosen the solder on the starting capacitor, take it off the board, and solder it as per the diagram above. We didn’t do this because having the whole board carrier and stuff seems neater and safer.

You could also leave the entire breadmaker wired in its original form, and just add a Neutral wire (with switch) as above.  This should, in theory as I havent tried it, allow the BM to function as normal, with a manual override switch for the motor.

Any questions?

- Humphrey & Stu

Re: Rewiring Panasonic SD-200 Breadmaker

Ummm

Just a thought....

Looking back at my circuit theory classes at tech 15 years ago, I seem to remember that it is best to put the switch on the *** ACTIVE *** wire for the reason that if there is a breach or breakdown of the insulation within the device then the likelihood of lethal voltages being present within, or even worse, outside the device, with the switch in the off position, is negated.

Just one of the hazards of modding equipment.....

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut link=1212914325/0#1 date=1212916820
      Ummm

Just a thought....

Looking back at my circuit theory classes at tech 15 years ago, I seem to remember that it is best to put the switch on the *** ACTIVE *** wire

Dead right wingnut.....

The switch in all equipment should either isolate both active and neutral (the preferred option) but if that cant be done (because the designer is a cheap skate and two pole switches cost more!!!) then it should be in the active line so that it isolates all bities from within the machine....

Whilst safe operating practice dictates pulling out the plug when working on equipment - many dont and assume the power switch will have isolated everything after that point....... so it should really be in the active line!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut link=1212914325/0#1 date=1212916820
        Ummm

Just a thought....

Looking back at my circuit theory classes at tech 15 years ago, I seem to remember that it is best to put the switch on the *** ACTIVE *** wire for the reason that if there is a breach or breakdown of the insulation within the device then the likelihood of lethal voltages being present within, or even worse, outside the device, with the switch in the off position, is negated.

Just one of the hazards of modding equipment.....
        Yeah, thats a good point It should just be a matter of changing which wire the switch is on :-) Ill do that when I get the chance.

Comment

Id be tempted to grab a 2 pole switch, isolate that bugger totally. Thats what I did. Grabbed one from Richard Smiths. It cost $3.74.

Comment

You beauty, resurrected my Panasonic SD-200, now I can get back to roasting beans. Its so easy when you know how!

Supprised this post is not more popular with Panasonic BM owners.

Many thanks 8-)

Comment

Hey Humphrey.....Thanks for the wiring diagram...I just modded my SD200 and put a switch in. Just finished my first roast. Worked like a charm!
              Thanks,

Alistair

[img][/img]

Comment

Hi all,

I was getting pretty frustrated with the inflexibility of the SD-200 and this post looked like being the light at the end of the tunnel.

Alas, I have 0 soldering skills (it seems) and in the process of trying to follow these instructions I had a mishap with some wires and connections - namely the ones going from the circuit board to the motor.

The little coloured wires (red, and blue) are no longer connected to the motor - and the circuit board connection for the same wires is broken. That was the start of the problems. The pins snapped.

I threw out plan A and have decided to try to bypass the circuit board. Does this sound possible? Ive taken the starting capacitor off. I was planning to have both the active and neutral wires on my 2 pole switch.

Does skipping the circuit board altogether sound possible? Provided I get the right wires attached to the capacitor and can figure out how to reattach the neutral wires to the motor... from what I can gather the rest of the circuit board looks after the control panel and the heating element.

At the very least, if I manage to get it up and running Ill let you know how I managed it.

At the moment my wires are connected as follows:

white/orange wire from circuit board (neutral wire) -> switch, left side "off" pole.
                white/black wire from circuit board (active wire) -> switch, right side "off" pole

blue wire - capacitor, and Ive pushed it as far down one of the yellow tubes the wires to the motor came from as I could... not sure if its currently connected.
                red wire - Capacitor - end indicated in the intro post above... from what I could tell from the circuit board the red wire should be on this pole and the blue wire on the other...
                white wire - still connected to motor, other end on switch right side "on pole"

Ive then added my own fat red wire - its connected to the switch, left side, on pole and the other end joins the skinny red wire on the capacitor...

Am I on the right track? Thoughts?
                If i cant figure it out Im going to have to hit the garage sales again next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by 47444A4844594B4C4545290 link=1212914325/7#7 date=1233989932
                  Alas, I have 0 soldering skills
                  If I follow that thought. And assume you have no Electronic or Electrical knowledge...

Please Do Not proceed....

Wiring colors can mean any thing... Assumptions as to Active / Neutral and Earth have killed many..

It appears that you are working directly with items and wiring that will / is expected to carry 240V AC..

If I have miss understood... Forgive me. However I would not like to hear that some one has been hurt, attempting to follow a mod as published on the forum..

If in doubt, then dont... Contact some who knows and in cases like this... Where they can get their hands on the item in question.. A picture / Visual is worth 1000s of words.

Comment

Absolutely support AMs advice...

DO NOT ATTEMPT APPLIANCE WIRING MODIFICATIONS IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS WORKING ON HIGH VOLTAGE APPARATUS - PLEASE ENGAGE THE SERVICES OF A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL

240V AC CAN AND DOES KILL, TOO OFTEN, ESPECIALLY IN THESE SORTS OF CIRCUMSTANCES AND IT MAY NOT BE YOU WHO SUFFERS DIRECTLY - COULD BE A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY OR A CLOSE FRIEND.

Regards,
                    Mal (Retired Electrical Engineer with QLD & WA Electrical Trade Licenses).

Comment

I have electrical knowledge. Thats not the problem. Provided the wiring diagram above is accurate - which I would think is the case given that other people have suggested theyve done it.

My soldering comment was because I ended up with a massive ball of solder on the back of the circuit board.

I also rewired my machine and feel comfortable enough tinkering. And I know enough not to kill, or shock myself. What I dont know about is circuit boards and the motor. Will it blow without the capacitor? I guess thats really the question Im asking...

Comment

Also, I figured out the colours of the wires based on the circuit board... its not guess work.

Except that I cant figure out which of the yellow tube things the red and blue wires came out of originally. Its a 50/50 thing though I guess.

Comment

I believe I have a good grasp of electronics and have modified appliances for many years without fault...YET!

This is why if it is 240v I will always have my electrical engineer brother check it over before I plug it in...Im not gonna be the one who finds out I believed wrongly

I would suggest to everyone who is not qualified, even if you know a lot, get someone who does it day in day out to look it over quickly before plugging in.

Comment

Yeah, I agree... Unless youre 100% sure what youre doing DO NOT PROCEED. When we did our breadmaker, I hired a book from the library on motors, talked to an electrical friend, and double and triple checked everything I was about to do. There is no margin for error as it is all 240V!

With that in mind, the wiring that is needed isnt overly complex. The starting capacity is only used for starting the motor spinning. Due to how ac motors work, the starting capacitor is needed to make sure that the motor starts spinning in the correct direction, and it also gives it some extra power to get going. You should be able to get the motor spining without it - although you might need to give it a push in the right direction to get it going.

There is absolutely no reason why you need to have the starting capacitor on the circuit board. For us, it was just easier to leave it there then to try and pull it off. Just make sure that all of your connections are insulated before putting them near power, or back in the BM. Everything else on the board isnt being used in our system. Only the start capacity for running the motor.

I cant help you with the colours of wires, etc, as Ill have to pull our BM appart to check what Ive done. The circuit needed is simple, if you find youself with anything that looks complicated then its wrong. Also, as its AC, you could probably even get the active / netural wires on the motor back to front and it would probably still work. BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR THAT!!!

Good luck, and remember, if you are not 100% certain of what you are doing... dont do it!!!

Comment

Thought you might all like to know Im still alive. I had way too much trouble getting the breadmaker apart to access the motor wiring connections. I cant get some of the screws out by hand so instead I am using the breadmaker components - the bin and the stirring mechanism - with a smaller 12V motor. Ill set it all up tomorrow and post a pic or two. It could be quite a novel approach to a corretto.

Comment

Working...
                              X