Breville Big Loaf & Ryobi Vari-temp Corretto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville Big Loaf & Ryobi Vari-temp Corretto

So Ive finally entered the ranks of Corretto-land thanks to the help of PODDY for the breadmaker, Aldi, Bunnings, Cuppacoffee for my sample pack of free beans for my first roast yesterday, my electrical apprenticeship all those years ago, Rich Smith Electronics for the switch, Belinda(Corretto), CS etc etc.

Ive ripped out the guts of the Breville big loaf and added a 2-pole switch direct to the motor, so no more pre-set programs, disconnected the element and everything else that isnt the motor or start cap, pulled off the lid.

I have a few questions though.

a) Using the Ryobi on about the 500deg with max fan, and the flared flange, Ive got it positioned in the middle of the tin between the 2 agitators - how far down should i start it? I think I started it too high (about 3cm above the rim) out of fear of frying those (200g)little green buggers. Then when I realised it was taking too long to get to FC (which I heard for the first time ever!!!) at about 18 mins I dropped it right in there and I think I singed the suckers. Anyway, well see tomorrow (48hrs).

Not having a DMM yet gave me no idea ofthe temp range I was in. Speaking of which, are those DMMs going to be available again, or am I better off going and finding one myself with a serial out? Its crazy, I have 3 DMMs and none have a temp probe!!

b) Wheres the best place to stick the probe, when I get it?

Im looking forward to giving the Daterra Sweeties from Dennis a go. I might even run some through the syphon for a change.

Ive also decided to hook up a light above the roast with a craftlight/daylight lamp to give a better colour rendition. Its kinda too dark under my balcony, especially since I cant roast till after work in the dark.

Ive no greens left now, and Im busting to keep roasting now - uber-addictive, Im hooked after one roast.

Im sure therell be c), d), e) to come.

Oh and if there are any threads that may help, feel free to point me that way. Ive read a few already.

Cheers crew,

YeeZa

Re: Breville Big Loaf & Ryobi Vari-temp Corretto

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1213057594/0#0 date=1213057594
    a) Using the Ryobi on about the 500deg with max fan, and the flared flange, Ive got it positioned in the middle of the tin between the 2 agitators - how far down should i start it? I think I started it too high (about 3cm above the rim) out of fear of frying those (200g)little green buggers. Then when I realised it was taking too long to get to FC (which I heard for the first time ever!!!) at about 18 mins I dropped it right in there and I think I singed the suckers. Anyway, well see tomorrow (48hrs).

Not having a DMM yet gave me no idea ofthe temp range I was in. Speaking of which, are those DMMs going to be available again, or am I better off going and finding one myself with a serial out? Its crazy, I have 3 DMMs and none have a temp probe!!

YeeZa
    Welcome on board!!

I wouldnt use the flared flange - it restricts the air flow.... just use the open end and with the tip slightly (say 1-2 cm) below the lip of the bowl.

Jaycar are supposed to be getting in some more DMMs (updated model)..... and Andy is going to stock them... but no idea when. It is very hard to find a DMM with serial O/P and temperature measuring capability at the moment - most are uber expensive!!!!

Not sure with a twin paddle - but with a single one - I put it in the far corner (furthest from the HG).... and made several holes at various depths...... with 300gms I initially used one about 1cm off the base of the pan.... but with larger loads I found I had to raise the probe so that it was the same depth below the surface of the beans.

Its great fun.... and excellent results as well!!

Comment

Hi Yeeza,

When you get into it more Id be keen to know what is the max roast volume you can do?

The only assistance I can offer is what I have learnt about those beans. If the Brazil Dattera you have are RFA, then they are vacuum sealed and apparently retain some moisture. So I was told, once you have worked out your normal distance - hold it a bit closer for these once for the first few minutes, then move it back to your normal distance away

Regards
      Chris

Comment

Gday Yeeza,

Great setup mate 8-).... Almost exactly the same as mine. :
        With regard to setting the height of the Heatgun, it comes down to the batch size(s) you roast. For example.... I mostly roast batches of 650g lately and to get the sort of profile Im looking for, I have the HG Nozzle protruding into the bread-pan about 1.0-1.5cm. I also partially cover the pan with a piece of wood that Ive routed out so that it slides over the top and sits where ever I put it. For this size batch Ive found that covering the pan to about 2/3 does the job.

With smaller batches, you would either need to raise the HG up slightly (probably the best way to do it) or reduce the temperature setting a little. Ive never roasted batches as small as 200g though so this is beyond my experience, as 300g is the smallest Ive ever tried that still allows a reasonable degree of control. My Ryobi HG is the 2 x Temp one, 600C or 60C.

Ive got the next model up from the unit that Andy stocks; has a really large display and is easier for me to read; Jaycar were selling these a little while ago at a considerable discount for $99.00, dont know if theyre still available for that. A couple of other CSers also have this one and as far as I know, it works just fine with Andys Roasting Software although it uses a USB connection, not Serial.

We still use our BM for making bread occasionally so I didnt want to drill holes in the panelling anywhere. As a result, I stick the probe down through a hole in the wooden cover into a corner of the bread-pan. Works pretty well and I can slide it up and down depending on the size of the batch Im roasting.

Im hooked after one roast.
        Know that feeling very well Yeeza...... ;D[/QUOTE]
        I think Belindas original thread is still one of the most informative where Correttos are concerned and if you havent read through that one yet, its highly recommended. Anyway mate, glad to see that youre off and running, its a great pastime no doubt about it.....

Cheers,
        Mal.

Comment

GDay Yeeza,

I have the DMM that Mal mentioned - its a QM1462 (I think). It is big, but as said, easy to read, has a USB conection and as an added bonus, also displays ambient temp. It works fine with the roasting software, you just have to manually set the COM port away from the default in the config file. Jaycar are running them out, but any store should be able to tell you if they have any available anywhere else as well.

I have a similar setup, not yet tested though as I havenet got round to buying any beans yet. Was there any problem hearing the sound of the crack above the din of the BM and HG?

Cheers

Comment

Perhaps we could have a thread dedicated to meter reviews?

Comment

Thanks for all the heasds up guys. I really appreciate it.

Ive taken the flange off the gun, done some searching around for DMMs with USB capability with no luck (for a reasonable price) - I checked out that model no. PhilMac, but nothing on the Jaycar website. I was dying for some greens so I was driving past a roaster and asked him for some. Felt a bit ripped off, but eh, Im desperate.

I didnt have any probs hearing the cracks over the noise of the bradmaker and gun. Admittedly, Id NEVER heard beans crack before, but I knew it when it happened. I was super-psyched!!!!

I tasted the fruits of my labour... like I suspected, I think I over roasted them, but theyve taken on a really intersting characteristic. Sweetness with a slight ashyness. With milk its probably better. I invited some guinea pigs around, giving them no hint of what beans or what flavours to expect and they confirmed my thoughts. The best part was, was that they said, "Its really different to anything else Ive had, but Im really enjoying it!"

Planning another roast over the next few days.... oh and Im HANGING for Bean Bay, savagely.

YeeZa

Comment

Ok, so dropped into Jaycar. The QM1462 is now discontinued and the only one they had left had no software CD. I took it and they said theyll try and grab one from somewhere for me. I wasnt sure that I needed it anyway with the CS software - but theyre probably diff. things.

Also, the temp probe on it isnt much of a probe. Its more a bit of cable with a bare thermocouple poking out the end. No actual solid probe. Looks like itd get ripped off pretty easy. Are your ones the same? Or did I just get a dog? Lucky I paid a discounted price from the 99 sheet.

Oh the only one they have at the moment with PC connectivity is a higher end one that you dont really get much change from a 3 hundge sheet.

Im just uber desperate to get some temp ranging happening so I grabbed it. They said I could take it back if it wasnt the goods.... so well see.

Comment

It sounds like the probe is the same as mine.

I have it secured inside the bowl with a screw and washer holding it from the outside.

The lead travels up and out of the BM into the meter and I remove the leads from the meter just before emptying into the cooler.
                  No problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1213057594/0#7 date=1213251644
                    Ok, so dropped into Jaycar. The QM1462 is now discontinued and the only one they had left had no software CD. I took it and they said theyll try and grab one from somewhere for me. I wasnt sure that I needed it anyway with the CS software - but theyre probably diff. things.
                    If it turns out you do need the Software Disk YeeZa, drop me a PM and I can send you a copy of mine ,

Cheers,
                    Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1213057594/0#7 date=1213251644
                      Also, the temp probe on it isnt much of a probe. Its more a bit of cable with a bare thermocouple poking out the end. No actual solid probe. Looks like itd get ripped off pretty easy. Are your ones the same? Or did I just get a dog? Lucky I paid a discounted price from the 99 sheet.

Im just uber desperate to get some temp ranging happening so I grabbed it. They said I could take it back if it wasnt the goods.... so well see.
                      Sorry, should have mentioned that, it does only come with the wire temp sensor. I tried to talk the salesman into bundling in a metal probe but they wouldnt at the discounted price. They are available for $12, so I bought one for the DMM. A little more money, but the positive side is that , if like me you dont have a serial port on your laptop, then you dont need to buy a serial/usb converter.

I had to change the default port in the roasting software config file to Com 3, to get it to work, or it opens and then shuts down straight away.

Cheers

Comment

Ok,
                        The latest is that Ive got the other probe with the metal sheath over it. It apparently isnt as accurate, but the trade off is minimal. It cost $9.95. When the guy asked what I was using it for I read from his eyes, "Youve gotta be kidding me, youre sticking it into a breadmaker converted to a coffee bean roaster and you want to download and monitor the temp to your laptop.... you obviously have no friends....."

I downloaded the software from Silicon Labs for the DMM. Im not sure its working as I plug the DMM in, press the yellow "USB" button and no action on the laptop. I might have to hit you up for that CD is Jaycar dont come to the party - really appreciate that offer Mal!

Ive downloaded the latest version of Java which helped. The RoastMonitor software opens up and I see the the CS page/graph etc and after about 5 secs shuts down. Presumably cos theres no action from my DMM. Ill give it a go tonight again.

Im guessing I have to change (maybe) the COM port from 1 to whatever (I think its 4 on mine) in the "Preferences" notepad file right?

Thanks for all the help so far!

At least I can measure my roast temp now! Thats the biggest + for me.

So stoked.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1213057594/0#11 date=1213318755
                          I downloaded the software from Silicon Labs for the DMM. Im not sure its working as I plug the DMM in, press the yellow "USB" button and no action on the laptop. I might have to hit you up for that CD is Jaycar dont come to the party - really appreciate that offer Mal!
                          When I connected the usb cable and pressed the yellow button, XP saw the DMM straight away, and then asked for the cd software.

The RoastMonitor software opens up and I see the the CS page/graph etc and after about 5 secs shuts down. Presumably cos theres no action from my DMM. Ill give it a go tonight again.

Im guessing I have to change (maybe) the COM port from 1 to whatever (I think its 4 on mine) in the "Preferences" notepad file right?
                          Thats what I had to do. Its called either preferences or config, cant remember (Im at work), but yes all I did was change the number of the port in Notepad, save the file and re-launch the roast monitor software. When it stayed open, and the temperature showed on the page I had the correct number - in my case 3.

Interesting comment about the accuracy of the probe - there is a couple of degrees diference between the reported ambient temp and the metal probe temp on mine, but I think the probe and the wire are much the same.

Cheers

Comment

Yeah when I plugged the DMM in for the first time it asked for the CD, and then Windows directed me to the Silicon Labs site where it downloaded the software.

So I installed the program: CP210x_VCP_Win2K_XP_S2K3

But nothing comes up now... ugh. Ill have to try after work.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1213057594/0#11 date=1213318755
                              When the guy asked what I was using it for I read from his eyes, "Youve gotta be kidding me, youre sticking it into a breadmaker converted to a coffee bean roaster and you want to download and monitor the temp to your laptop.... you obviously have no friends....."
                              You should have told him you have 5000 friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X