Keeping Coretto HG cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Coretto HG cool

Some CSers have been blowing a fan over the heat gun to stop it overheating and then cutting off. Would this not also have a cooling effect on the hot air coming out of the HG?
    I ask this as I am about to buy a Bosch HG with thermal cutout and I am worried about it cutting out mid roast. Maybe I should get a cheaper one without the thermal cut out. Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: Keeping Coretto HG cool

Originally posted by cremakid link=1213231818/0#0 date=1213231818
    Some CSers have been blowing a fan over the heat gun to stop it overheating and then cutting off. Would this not also have a cooling effect on the hot air coming out of the HG?

cremakid

The nozzle of the heatgun is down in the pan (a couple of cm)..... hot air returning from the pan forces the cool air away from the nozzle area..... but stops it (and the chaff) getting sucked into the air inlet on the heatgun - and overheating it (shortening its life considerably)

Comment

Thanx JB, that makes sense. As I am only now getting my Coretto setup together, I didnt add the nozzle being in the pan into the equation. :

Comment

Cremakid

I doubt you could purchase any form of HG or fan heater without a thermal cutout.

Adding to Javabs comments, the cooling fan should be aimed so that it blows over the top of the BM and at the body of the HG rather than its nozzle [which should be slightly inside the BM bowl].

The other advantage of this is that the fan will blow away your chaff: aim the airflow into the garden and you will never have to sweep up after roasting.

Comment

I have to aim mine over the edge of the balcony 4 stories up, down to the garden below!

Comment

I aim my fan so that it disperses the chaff and keeps it out of the fins on hg. I roast on a bench in my garage so all the chaff blows onto the bench, thus the old Hoover vacuum gets a workout after each roast.

Comment

I have found that if the fan blowing over the top of the BM and HG is too close and too strong then it tends to drag the hot air away from the bean mass, i therefore step the fan back slightly and have it on the lowest setting.
              It is surpising how little air movement you actually need to move the chaff away from the HG and subsequently the rising heat as well.

Mal

Comment

I found my heatgun stayed cooler when I started using the cement sheet lid on my BM. Allowed me to use the low setting on my Ozito HG for the roast, less power used, less noise, & hopefully element in HG will last longer.

Cheers...................Sean

Comment

Scooter
                  Covering the bread pan to some extent definitely means that the HG can run at lower temps.
                  Before covering i would run at 630deg for the full roast but now drop it down to 450deg as the roast progresses.

Mal

Comment

cremakid, I wouldnt be concerned about the effects of a fan. If anything, the cooler the better. Ive already cooked one cheap gun so decided to install a fan right next to my HG. My roasting temps/times are spot on. The fan does a great job protecting the HG & blowing the chaff away. I also make sure I run the gun on LOW for a minute before switching off after a roast. The Ryobi cools down real quick seeing as its LOW setting is cooler than a hair dryer!!

Comment

Nice neat setup Evan, I think I might borrow your "Remove Probe" warning signs idea as well! I can just see myself standing there with a bent probe in my hand!

I wouldnt be concerned about the effects of a fan. If anything, the cooler the better.
                      thanx. Advice taken on board as with others comments.

Comment

My pleasure cremakid. Theres no patent on the "Remove Probe" idea so go for it. Believe it or not, it does actually work. I lost count of how many times I bent mine before installing that option!

Have fun Corretto roasting. Youll never look back.

Evan.

Comment

Hmmm,

Up here on the Granite Belt where we live, theres always a decent breeze blowing so have never bothered with the fan idea. Like scooter though, I use a partial cover over the bread pan and to some extent this shields the HG from heated air rising and recirculating through it. Chaff tends to blow away from the HG before it starts to rise and become any kind of threat to blocking the HGs intake vents. In the event that some chaff does get sucked in to the vents, a couple of swipes with an old 25mm paint-brush kept handy for that task soon takes care of that .

Mal.

Comment

Adopting the Remove Probe signage too, bent mine a couple of times in the heat of the moment. :-? :-[

Cheers..................Sean

Comment

Working...
                            X