500 gram gas powered sample roaster / home roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 gram gas powered sample roaster / home roaster

There has been much debate about a suitable home roaster.
    Capacity, heating source, cost, etc....
    I think I have found a solution, and would like some feedback.
    Japanese Made, Gas fired 500g capacity drum roaster. Designed for sample roasting, but equally suited to home roasting. (Imagine a tiny cement mixer looking unit with burner mounted below the drum). It pivots to discharge the roasted beans into the cooler
    separate cooling tray with fan.
    I found this beauty, literally as I was heading out to the Airport on my way home.
    About $2k aussie, after all the conversions, freight, etc..... is it worth it ?

Re: 500 gram gas powered sample roaster / home roa

coffee_mogul,

The information provided is a bit sketchy - for example there doesnt appear to be any controls provided (is that correct?).... do you just turn the gas up and down - if so thats rather crude.... in fact looking at the photos it looks far more agricultural than either the Gene or HT roasters..... and for that price you can purchase almost 3 Genes and about 2 HT roasters..... both of which will do 300grams and have a lot more control over the roast.....

Without more details its hard to say..... but it doesnt appear to be value for money to me!

Comment

They do come in a range of colours though.
      Choice would be impressed.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. More than happy to elaborate.

This unit has manual gas burner control with an atmospheric burner. Sure you can get a gene or hot top, but they are both electric and contain substantial amounts of plastic in their construction.
        This appealed to me for the following reasons.

1. robust and simple, very little to break or go wrong
        2. Gas Burner, offers quicker heat control
        3. Manual control, I want to control the profile based on the origin.
        4. easy to dump the beans.
        5. conventional drum roaster

Comment

I forgot to add, $3000 cheaper than a Diedrich HR-1

Comment

Originally posted by coffee_mogul link=1213273136/0#4 date=1213277451
            I forgot to add, $3000 cheaper than a Diedrich HR-1

Yep...... but I dont think the two are comparable - by a long shot!! The Diedrich has a long history of being a great coffee roaster..... and has well and truly proven itself. Id suggest the Japanese have as much experience with making roasters and roasting beans as I do making sake :

If you like it.... and it does what you want - then you pay the asking price and be happy with your purchase..... and dont worry what others think!

In my view it isnt worth it..... it doesnt appear to have a solid, heavy weight drum like real drum roasters..... and I would imagine controlling the profile by manually adjusting the gas is going to be very difficult.... but clearly possible.

Comment

Japan has a long standing history with coffee and roasting it. Trust me its every where.
              I am well versed on all things Diedrich I have previously owned an IR3, and now have an IR7
              The company manufacturing this make commercial roasting  equipment including  large capacity (100s of kgs) roasting plants. Tis is their sample roaster

Why would controlling the roast  profile by gas be difficult ? All commercial roasters use heat adjustment to control the roast.
              This is purely a toy for me, by the way. I just wanted to gauge feedback, as there is always a debate about the perfect home roaster. I guess to understand the unit you have to see one. The pictures do it no favours.
              Im not a fan of the gene or hot top, Too prosumer for me.

Comment

Really 500g?
                Looks too small to me but maybe I have the scale wrong?!?!

Interesting though.

Comment

Yep,

I agree... Does look interesting. What powers the Drum rotation c_m, doesnt seem to be anything obvious?

Mal.

Comment

electric motor rotates the drum

Comment

From what is visible in the pictures there doesnt appear to be any air flow through the drum. This will result in a very smoky flavored roast. Your beans will tend to have a lot of roast flavor to them which can be a problem for beans with subtle or fine nuances in flavors.

Dont forget to take into consideration the venting system youll need for it to get rid of the combustion gases and bean smoke.

Java "Roasts with manual gas" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by coffee_mogul link=1213273136/0#9 date=1213306262
                        electric motor rotates the drum
                        Japanese mains supply is 100V at either 50 or 60 Hz (depends where in Japan!)....

So you will need a step down transformer.... and if designed for 60 Hz and the roaster uses a synchronous motor (quite likely) then the drum will only rotate at 5/6th the speed.... which shouldnt cause a problem.....

Comment

Looks very interesting. Id love to her feedback if you end up getting one. Theres not too much to see from the pictures though. If it works well, then it just might fill the gap between the hottop/gene type roasters and the larger 1kg+ shop roasters.

Thanks for posting this.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

2 grand is just a bit too much for me, (well a lot really) personally I think I would get greater satisfaction out of building something like it myself as well as being more affordable.

I dont think I like the external heat source either, I cant see how the internal drum temperature would be even throughout the whole drum, varieing ambient temperature including ventilation for the smoke could present itself a problem.

Ray

Comment

Great find  

I think that one of these would be a great size for home roasting.
                              $2k is good value for a commercial style gas powered roaster at that capacity.

On a side note, how is this roaster different to the Probat / Gothot sample roasters that are used by roasteries all over the place?
                              Looks the same to me, at first glance.

Comment

Working...
                              X