Comedy of errors - New Corretto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comedy of errors - New Corretto

I finally wrestled the Breville BB280 from the wife [smiley=evil.gif]. I immediately ruined any chance of a warranty repair by drilling more holes than required for the Temp. Probe. Found that the Computer connection from the Data Logger to the computer didnt fit. Went to Hardly Normals and got the required part, payed way to much . Hooked up the Ryobi HG to the drill stand. Set up and started the program which by the way took me several attempts to get working - Thanks Andy and other CSers for the handy hints [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. It only took me two hours to get the program working - computing is not my best skill.

Chased the dog away from its favourite spot set up the equipment and commenced roasting. FC at 7.7 min. RFC 8.4 - SC at 11.4 RSC at 13.1 stopped at 14 after removing the Temp Probe eventually). Then tried to remove the beans but forgot to remove the temp probe (the wife was heard laughing hysterically in the background. Cooled and packed without any problems. This is the result

Re: Comedy of errors - New Corretto

Stan, roast profile looks way too quick with the Corretto ... aim for FC anywhere between 12-14 mins & consider pulling when the crackles of SC are audible at anywhere from 18-20mins.

By the way mate, what bean were you charcoaling? ;D

Tony

Comment

Australia Capricorn Coast. Thanks for the kind words :-[, it was my first corretto roast and therefore I am in a learning phase. The Temp. probe falling out was not a help >. I know it should have taken longer to FC but I will have to work out the best starting height for the HG.

I am waiting for the next green bay so I can get a larger stash to experiment with. I have 3 other beans left from a starter pack but they are not beans that should be used for trail and error and error and error .

However the roast smells and looks great - there is no burnt tips on the beans - I roasted these to this CS level in a popper and they tasted reasonable in the cup but not overwhelming.

I look forward to many more roasts and hopefully I will slowly learn what to do and what not to do before I destroy Australias whole crop of arabica beans. ;D ;D

Comment

That does sound a bit quick, although the 1st-2nd crack is about right.
        The beans look pretty good, I often prefer the taste profile from a slightly uneven roast, as long as nothing is burnt or raw.
        The real test though, is how YOUR coffee tastes to YOU.
        Let us know.
        Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg,

I was aiming for a longer roast but when the probe fell out it took crucial time to replace it and for it to show the correct temperature but by then it was to late to slow the roast down :-/. The uneven look in the photo is the result of the flash. The roast in life appears to be even. I am concerned the time delay in cooling, due to forgetting to remove the probe, as the roasting continued longer than I would have liked.

I will probably try some tomorrow and see how it is developing. The aroma from the bag is very inviting so I am halfway there.

Comment

Good one Stan, yes I to found the temp probe needed to be taken out BEFORE pulling the basket out, but thats all part of the fun.

You are going to really enjoy this method of roasting, to me anyway the taste in the cup is a world apart from my efforts with the Popper !

Cheers,

CB

Comment

At least I didnt bend the probe - I normally like to use force when something doesnt want to move but was lucky that the brain clicked in before the brawn. I will certainly remember to remove the probe next time. 8-)

Comment

I know exactly what your saying Stan
                I actually Did bend my probe by pushing it in too far the first time and the paddle caught it. I now have a piece of tape wrapped around it to stop it going in too far.
                Guess Im not the first or the last ! :

CB

Comment

If it wasnt for our errors how would we be able to advise others.

The more we make the more knowledgeable we become : and hopefully will help others avoid the same mistakes.

But for some perverse reason it is always better to hear of others mishaps than experience our own. 8-)

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of Corretto Stan, youve done well for your first roast and Im sure you will soon have it down pat.
                    Ive just done my 76th Corretto roast yesterday and I am still intrigued with the process, watching the beans progress through the stages, the chaff, smoke and rush to remove probe and cool down quickly.............and the restults in the cup, Ive had the occasional roast that I have just gone a little too far but usually they are very enjoyable with family and friends asking for more.
                    Enjoy your roasting and Im sure your green bean stash will grow and grow and grow, it is quite consuming needing to have a good variety of beans for so and blends.

Comment

Originally posted by redzone link=1213441319/0#7 date=1213512668
                      I know exactly what your saying Stan  
                      I actually Did bend my probe by pushing it in too far the first time and the paddle caught it. I now have a piece of tape wrapped around it to stop it going in too far.
                      Guess Im not the first or the last !  :

CB
                      Yup, this brought a smile to my face because I did it too. In the excitement of trying to remove the beans to cool them down, I forgot to remove the probe was wondeirng why it was so hard to remove the breadpan... To do it once and learn from it is normal. To do it twice, well, thats not being too smart... Well, I did it twice so far (unless I forgot another time that I did it....) My probe is sort of bent, not so much from the removing the beans while the probe is in, but more the constant pressure of increasingly hot beans being pushed up against it for 14-20 minutes a time 2-3 times a week.

Your roast doesnt look too bad at all. It depends on what your taste preferences are. You might like dark roasts more than light ones. For me, the first signs of rolling second crack is as far as Id take it to. Most of my roasts are stopped at the first snap of second crack (not rolling second). Does your beans have an oily sheen on it immediately after roasting? If yes, is it the odd bean that has the oily sheen or every bean?

Comment

I tried to pull them at 30 seconds after second first crack but unfortunately the probe wouldnt let me.

Tried them today and was surprised with a solid taste of dark chocolate with hints of nuts (almonds perhaps) and a long aftertaste of dark chocolate. It presented as a very rounded taste 8-). This was as a Latte I am not yet accustomed to espresso. More than happy and I will try them again in a couple of days as I have 750grms of Brown Bay to get through before they go stale.

A wise man said "An error only becomes a mistake when we repeat it AND there are witnesses".

Comment

Working...
                        X