Another thought on cooling beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another thought on cooling beans

Just a thought. Comments appreciated. As I am getting my BM tomorrow I obviously havent tried this. If, when the roast is finished, instead of dumping the beans, why not let them agitate and blow a fan into the bread pan over the agitating beans. Surely this would cool the beans quickly and evenly. The breadpan walls arent all that thick so should cool quickly as well. My theory anyway.

Re: Another thought on cooling beans

Creama Kid

Its a great idea, I havent tried it, but I dont think it would work.

Despite the thin walls, 5 minutes post rost and sitting in the open air [rather than in the BM] my bowl is still too hot to touch "ouchies".
    If you left it in the BM, it would take even longer to cool down, plus the thermal mass of the beans would also conspire to keep it warm.

A typical fan would not produce a focused enough stream of air or enough flow either.
    Most HG cannot be set to blow just cool air either, if they could I doubt they would have enough airflow.

Its all about speed and convection, if you pour the beans onto a colander/sieve and can get them spread in one layer, each bean will be exposed to the airflow.

Personally I found most ceiling fans a little underpowered.
    I use a boxfan to cool the HG, then I flip it horizontal and put a plastic washtup fitted with a sieve over the top.
    I can get the beans down to room temperature sub 1min.

if youre interested, theres a picture of my cooling setup in this post:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1202170402

Transferring the beans from 1 colander to another in front of a fan works very well too.

Comment

Creamakid,

As reubster said above.... the bowl does retain a lot of heat..... and for quite a while after the roast! A powerful fan blowing into would help cool the beans/bowl but IMHO not fast enough...

Dumped into colanders and transferred back and forth in front of a fan works very well..... as does a "purpose built" bean cooler... but I wouldnt try to cool them in the BM bowl.

Comment

Thanx guys for quick replies and advice. Reubster, had a look at your setup for cooling, "cool"!

I havent tried a roast with the lid yet and I dont really expect  there will be any improvement, but I did run the system [beanless] up to 240C and held it there for 20min and nothing melted.
        I was watching a YouTube video of a Coretto setup where the guy had a hole cut through the lid and a wad of aluminium foil around the end of heatgun wedging it in the hole. Judging by the colour of the BM he has done quite a few roasts and nothing seems to have melted.

BTW was your heatgun that died the digital from Bosch. That is what I have, any tips so I dont have the same prob.

Comment

The Bosch HG has been great, if it runs too hot it will cut out, but I have only had this happen in summer.
          It seems to have a different type of cutout [electronic??] to most other HGs [which seem to be a more traditional type of thermostat].
          The Bosch can cut in and out in seconds, whereas others seem to need a 10min cooldown.
          It has "nodded off for a second" during a roast when uncooled but has never died.

You should definately run it a fan blowing across it, then you will have no problems and no chaff to clean up.

BTW I have played further with various covers and dont believe there is any major benefit in using one.

FWIW, I really like the bosch HG, I still do my FC/SC adjustments by adjusting the height of the HG, but I use different set temperatures [generally in the 450-520C range] depending on bean type and roast sizes.
          Eg. lower temps for say African beans that benefit from a slower/longer profile.

Comment

Back in summer when it was pretty hot, I dumped my beans and blew off the initial heat with a fan, but then put my beans in a colander and placed them in the (large) freezer for about 10 minutes. I gave them a bit of a stir about halfway through this, and found it didnt start to freeze the beans, but knocked the heat off quickly enough that.

This is not necessary in the cooler weather here in the Adelaide hills over winter but great in the nasty heat.

Comment

i did my first corretto type roast today.. well i held the heatgun by hand and used my bread machine to agitate the beans.

intially i poured the beans into a large colander for cooling, then after a minute in there, i laid them out on a large flat plastic tray. essentially the beans were just 1 layer thick. left them out in the cool air for 5 minutes and voila.

next to get a stand for my heatgun.

Comment

What about immersing the pan in cold water right away?

<Note: not responsible if you warped your BM pan >

Comment

I have conducted an experiment

I placed the 300 gr of fresh roasted hot beans in the freezer with colander and they were still warm on the outer layer 30 minutes later and hotter in the centre
                  And have surmised that the fan in the bucket way to cool is far superior to any other method

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1213572491/0#8 date=1215342184
                    I placed the 300 gr of fresh roasted hot beans in the freezer with colander
                    KK,

Can you report back to us with the outcome of these beans that you put into the freezer?

One of fresh roasted beans biggest killers is moisture. It will be interesting to read your report on how these turn out.

-Linda

Comment

Same concept as KK but slightly different apparatus is my cooler that is extremely fast. A sieve, "Hot glue" sealed onto a s/steel basin and the air sucked out with a vaccuum cleaner. It is so fast there is not enough time for the bean heat to have any effect on the glue.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccas_chicka link=1213572491/0#9 date=1215344080
                        Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1213572491/0#8 date=1215342184
                        I placed the 300 gr of fresh roasted hot beans in the freezer with colander
                        KK,

Can you report back to us with the outcome of these beans that you put into the freezer?

One of fresh roasted beans biggest killers is moisture. It will be interesting to read your report on how these turn out.

-Linda
                        I dont think the beans in the freezer had time to draw in any moisture
                        I pulled them out at 30 min as mentioned above

But I will report back soon after degas
                        The roast cooling experiment was conducted yesterday

KK

Comment

Crema
                          One advantage with the vacuum is the chaff is cleanly collected

KK

Comment

I dont tend to have any chaff by the times the beans are dumped in my cooling bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1213572491/0#13 date=1215345387
                              I dont tend to have any chaff by the times the beans are dumped in my cooling bucket.
                              : The corretto blows them away

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X