My new Coretto setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Coretto setup

• Aldi drill stand with reversed handle N.B. no adverse affect from heatgun on drill holder.
      Bosch digital heatgun
      Breville BB280 bread machine
      Digitech QM1538 with flexible probeless thermocouple attached to tent peg with fibreglass heat resistant
      sleeving to keep it rigid and further protect from heat sinking
      Fan from recycled rubbish on footpath

• Side view of setup showing bean cooler made from the pot of my now terminated TO roaster,  hot glued/sealed to a sieve/collander with extra holes drilled and sitting on my TO roaster stand (the "Sputnik") then attached to discarded vaccuum cleaner. Works great!

• Laptop computer running Coffee Snobs roast software connected to DMM etc.
      Star shaped digital timer from my "popper roast" days for quick reference

• Top view of inside of bean cooler

Re: My new Coretto setup

Great setup Cremakid, i find the bosch heatgun fantastic.I can ramp up the heat then When it gets to about 250deg C in my roaster i lower the temp of the heatgun so as not to Roast to quickly.

Comment

Looks good! Might not fit in with the corner setting though, but maybe put the fan on the other side, so that the chaff doesnt blow towards the heat gun or head towards the laptop keyboard.

Cheers

Comment

Might not fit in with the corner setting though, but maybe put the fan on the other side, so that the chaff doesnt blow towards the heat gun or head towards the laptop keyboard.
        I wont normally be roasting in that corner position. I was desperate to try it out so just set up everything on the front verandah. I had no probs with chaff etc.

Comment

I agree with PhilMac re the fan position.
          Mine is behind the HG.

You say your discarded fan works?
          I usually recommend looking for them for just the pedestal.

Comment

Another great set up from a very persistent Crema Kid
            This one is a keeper

KK

Comment

Looks like my Breville BB280 is a lemon. Seems to have an intermittent fault. Sometimes it doesnt start. When it starts the continuous stir it sometimes only lasts a few minutes, stops and may start after I press the stop/start button but only for about 3 turns. Sometimes after the initial slow stirring it just stops and now it stops at 10 minutes and will not start again if I cancel and press start again. If I stop at 9 mins I can restart. When it stopped for about 5 minutes or so I was doing something else and it just started again, for about 30 seconds. This morning I switched it on and it seemed to go OK so I put the beans in and right on 10 mins it cut out and a hand full of beans got super roasted.
              Oh well, I will take it back to Breville tomorrow and see if they will exchange it. it was a refurbished one, probably wiped it over and resealed it in the box with all its original faults.

Comment

I have the same set up except for the heat gun. I bought my stand from Bunnies. I found that I needed some weight on the drill stand to stabilise it. I use a milk bottle full of water. Great set up.

Comment

Originally posted by cremakid link=1214547835/0#6 date=1214726875
                  Looks like my Breville BB280 is a lemon.
                  Might have to give some thought to permanently converting the BB280 for coffee roasting ck? :-?

Mal.

Comment

Stan, how long does your BB280 run from the start before it cuts off for dough rising? If I go back to Breville for warranty I want to know what I am talking about. I am sure mine went for about 20 minutes total when I first got it, that includes the 3 second stops every 30 secs or so.
                    Big prob now is, I cant find my receipt. Only had it 2 weeks. I hope they kept my name on the computer. Anyway, if no, it might be time for the big mod of the BB280!!

I just noticed two earlier posts, one from Mal stating his BB280 runs for 30mins and another CSer says his runs 20 mins continuous. Looks like they are all different. Particularly mine!!

Comment

CK

The problem you are having with the BB280 may be caused by a thermal cutout switch.

Most heated electrical devices have thermal cutout [just like the HG]
                      In BMs they seem to mounted near the bowl.

Once they operate, they can take minutes to "cool" before the BM can be reused.

If you dont know how to bypass it safely [electrics are dangerous] you could do what other snobbers have done and that is just relocate it to someplace away from the heat.

Comment

Mon. 11.31am: Well, I just got a replacement for my BB280. This one looks more like a factory second. It still has all the stickers on it and no scratches like the first one that was definitely a refurbished one. Well maybe putting it back in the box and resealing it means it has been refurbished, because if the previous owner had similar intermittent probs as me, the techs may not have been able to replicate them and just repackaged. Who knows?

12.10pm:    Yippee, the replacement machine stirs for 30 mins including the very short pauses which are no problem.

Now that I know my machine DOES work, if it cuts out again like the previous lemon machine I will have to think about the thermal cutout switch mod.

Comment

With my BM, before direct wiring of the motor, I tried disconnecting the thermal probe but got an error message on the display.
                          I planned to merely move the thermal probe as far away from the pan as it would go to get around this.

Comment

How would it go If I put some sort of insulating material on the bottom of the pan. Maybe a piece cut out of a silicon cake pan. Mine not the wifes! :

My lemon machine even cut off at around 10 mins with no heat so I am sure there was a real problem with the circuit board or something.

Comment

Run it with the heatgun on and no beans in it.
                              Watch the temp with your probe and see what happens.

I still think the easiest thing to do is move the inbuilt sensor away from its current position if it kicks in at bean roasting temps.

Why complicate things by adding more bits and pieces than you need to?

Comment

Working...
                              X