Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breville "Big Loaf" How to modify knead time???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville "Big Loaf" How to modify knead time???

Hi Team,

Can anyone post a diagram or offer advice on how to Mod the Breville "Big Loaf" to get some extra time out of the knead cycle.
    Im not too flash with electronics but should be able to follow a diagram :-[ "I Think"

Thanks !!!

CB

Re: Breville "Big Loaf" How to modify knead time??

I ended up bypassing the electronics altogether, and adding in a new switch, to switch the motor (and start capacitor) directly. I can give you directions on that if you want, its really not that hard.

Comment

That would be great YeeZa

Comment

I might not be able to get around to it now, (a bit flat out), but Ill get the camera out and take a few pics for you soon.

Comment

No worries, still need to get dual HGs set up anyway.

No hurry !

Comment

Hi redzone,

You might find this thread useful:
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1212914325/0#0

It shows the modification to the (Panasonic SD-200) breadmaker that we made. We followed instructions from someone modifying a different BM, so I reckon you can too; I dont think theres a lot of variation between machines. We did the same as YeeZa - wired the power straight to the motor via the starting capacitor and a switch. Works well.

Cheers,
            Stuart.

Comment

Originally posted by stuartgrant link=1215509039/0#5 date=1215660725
              I dont think theres a lot of variation between machines.
              Unfortunately Stuart, this isnt true. Even different models from the same manufacturer can be quite different as well as updated units from an earlier model so you have to be quite careful. The internals of the Breville Big Loaf are entirely different to your Panasonic mate; although the desired end-point is the same....

Mal.

Comment

Got a electrician mate coming to have a look tonight, think it might be safer option for me anyway.
                :-/
                Cheers CB

Comment

Originally posted by redzone link=1215509039/0#7 date=1215720949
                  Got a electrician mate coming to have a look tonight, think it might be safer option for me anyway.
                  :-/
                  Yeah that makes sense for sure haha. It is super easy... but thats coming from an electrician. : Look forward to seeing the outcome. With my Big loaf, I disconnected everything that wasnt the motor. I pulled out the elements, sensors and guts of the control board.
                  Its funny, Ive never actually used a breadmaker for bread ever in my life.
                  Let us know if you need any help.

YeeZa

Comment

Hi all,

Mal - fair enough. I guess when I said that most machines are "basically the same", I meant most machines have the same basic circuitry: AC in (active, nuetral and earth), stating capacitor, motor, and lots of other stuff that you dont need (unless youre planning on making bread in it too!). Like YeeZa, we bypassed everything but the starting capacitor and also added a switch. We also took out the element, the control panel, and the thermal cut-out coil that rested against the outside of the bread pan (weve since found out that the motor seems to have its own thermal cut out, but can usually do back-to-back roasts without it tripping).

I understand that this kind of modification can be dangerous and that over-simplifying statements can lead to bad outcomes, though, so I take your point!

Cheers
                    Stuart.

Comment

I had the same problem with my Breville. I also found it better to completely bypass all electronics for a switch for the motor. Lets face it, these things dont cost a lot of money on ebay, may as well go nuts with it.
                      Good luck...
                      Bruce...

Comment

Strangely enough, we still use our "Big Loaf" to help with making bread..... Using a different bread-pan; so, just wired a switch (with "Inline" fuse) in parallel with the output from the PCB feed to the motor. A very simple mod to carry out compared to whats required with some BMs.

Like you say though Bruce, if youve got a BM that you can dedicate to coffee roasting; well, you might as well get stuck into it and make it even more fit for purpose.... makes sense 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Doesnt the Breville "Big Loaf" have a 25min pasta knead setting?

If so, why modify it at all? :-?

Slightly off-topic, what does coffee do to the pans that mean you cant bake bread in them?

Well, Ill probably find out tomorrow :-/

Comment

No "simone" it wont do 25 mins on any cycle, well not my one anyway.

Still not sorted............soon hopefully !

CB

Comment

I think late model ones are highly programmable and can be made to just about do anything... Ours is an older one too though and cant do this.

Re: the bread-pans..... Consecutive coffee roasts build up a layer of burnt on oils over time and render the Teflon coating all but useless as far as non-stick properties are concerned. Also, the beans do wear the Teflon coating away too so eventually youll have "bald" patches appearing all around the walls and the base of the bread-pan. Weve got a couple of spare pans so one is dedicated solely for coffee-roasting and the others for making dough, etc.....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X