Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Roaster?

Hi,
    Coffee Snobs has introduced me to the world of home roasting and now I am keen as mustard.
    Been roasting with a popcorn popper but want to get a bit more serious.
    Can anyone suggest a good drum roasting style machine, to do about 500grams or so at once, and where do I purchase such an item??
    Should I get a cooling device?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Coffee Roaster?

Have a look at Greg Pullmans reviews of the Gene Cafe and the Hottop to start with.
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/gene-hottop/

Then you might want to consider a "Corretto" as the Gene and Hottop will only do 300g maximum.

Comment

Drum style home roasting 500 + grams in one go is the domain of the BBQ rotisserie

Corretto (heat gun and bread maker method) as I have read is comfortable with 600gram batches

Similar results can be achieved with the Turbo Roaster method 600 gr to 1kg batches

Commercial units (small) eg Hot Top & Gene Cafe have a range from 250gr to 300gr

Have a look at the sticky post at the top of the roaster section for ideas and research

KK

Comment

If you want drum, see if the Behmor is available to you:

www.behmor.com

CHAD

Comment

Originally posted by seedlings link=1222061758/0#3 date=1222088161
          If you want drum, see if the Behmor is available to you:

www.behmor.com

CHAD
          Dont think the 120V model will be much use to the guy in QLD - Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1222061758/0#4 date=1222089218
            True, fatboy, but the Aussies are quite innovative. It wouldnt be too difficult to pick up a transformer or variac and be in business.

CHAD

Comment

Thanks for the replies,
              appreciate that.

Glynn

Comment

Originally posted by seedlings link=1222061758/0#5 date=1222115347
                Originally posted by fatboy link=1222061758/0#4 date=1222089218
                True, fatboy, but the Aussies are quite innovative.  It wouldnt be too difficult to pick up a transformer or variac and be in business.

CHAD
                Hottop at least recommend strongly against doing this. For the unit to perform as designed it needs to be able to draw a certain amount of current at a given voltage to produce a total amount of power and the heating element is designed for these conditions. Variacs will allow you to mess with the mains supply so you can feed a different voltage into the unit but you may not be able to draw the required amount of current at that revised voltage, = less power = less heating = baked beans : Maybe the Behmor unit is different but I would imagine any of these medium-power devices would react similarly to this.

Greg

Comment

However, with a transformer, youll have double the current available with half the voltage. Youre probably right about the variac, unless you have a 15 amp model.

CHAD

Comment

remembering the hertz .
                    50 opposed to 60 = change in motor speed

Comment

Originally posted by fix link=1222061758/0#9 date=1222131350
                      remembering the hertz .
                      50 opposed to 60  = change in motor speed
                      Yep, and change in motor power consumption!

"Squirrel cage" motors designed to run on 60Hz have less iron in the laminations...... as the higher frequency requires less inductance for the same inductive reactance - and it is the inductive reactance which limits the power being drawn (OK techno babble to most :).....

The bottom line is it draws more current and will at least overheat - but it could also burn out depending on what safety margin was built into the design.

50Hz motors on 60Hz supplies - no problem (just run faster)....... but 60Hz motors on 50Hz can be a real problem!

Comment

My head Hertz...

Comment

As long as it isnt Killer hertz or Mega hertz

Comment

Didnt quite follow te electrical talk.
                            I am interested in the Gene Cafe now that I have read about, think it would do the job nicely.
                            Same question - would it work ok in Australia??

Glynn

Comment

Originally posted by grigden link=1222061758/0#13 date=1222151482
                              Didnt quite follow te electrical talk.
                              I am interested in the Gene Cafe now that I have read about,  think it would do the job nicely.
                              Same question - would it work ok in Australia??

Glynn
                              Hi Glynn,

There are a heap already in Australia. Available from CS sponsors: GoBariata, Talk Coffee, Cuppacoffee and Pullman Tampers- from their sister site Things Coffee....just to name a few....

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X