Corretto with tripod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corretto with tripod

Another corretto picture for anyone interested.

Liking the tripod - being able to control the height (and thus the heat) so easily with that handle is fantastic.

The BM was $7 (NZ) from the tip shop and the heat gun $15 from Bunnings, so it was all looking nice and cheap until I blew $40 on the multimeter.

The BM had chewed its belt to bits so I replaced it with some string - which is fine except for the occasional bash with wooden spoon required to encourage the stirrer. And Ive direct-wired it which makes me much happier.

Ive never roasted before so still getting the hang of it, but am now generally triggering first crack at about ten minutes and spinning out second to 18 or 20. I dump the beans and second crack - to me any longer and theyre burning, which makes me wonder if Im too deaf to notice 2ndC until part way through!

Thanks to everyone here for such a useful resource. Fantastic.

Adrian

Re: Corretto with tripod

Welcome to CS Adrian!

Theyre a nice looking bean - what are they?

Also a very nice looking, even roast - plump with chaff line intact.

Comment

Thanks!

The beans come from an importer & roaster here in Wellington called Havana (although their beans come from all over the place). The guy referred to them only as "Bolivian" - from what Ive seen on this board the names are more complex so perhaps that wont tell you enough.

Its the first batch of this bean Ive roasted, so dont know how they taste yet.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of home roasting Adrian, your set-up and roast look the goods.
        Will look forward to seeing some more of your posts...........gm

Comment

Loving the tripod setup. I didnt know Havana sold green beans. What are their prices like? I might have to wander down and check it out

Comment

Havana charge $15/kg. There are a bunch of different varieties to choose from, sitting there in big sacks.

The guy I talked to was helpful too - started me off on some PNG beans which are more tolerant of being over-roasted apparently. Im not sure theyre entirely to my taste, but its hard to differentiate between the beans and my roasting skills at this early stage. Anyway, lots to choose from. Ill see how my Bolivians are.

Comment

I was told the same thing about the PNGs by a roaster in the Hunter Valley.

Comment

I was told the same thing about the PNGs by a roaster in the Hunter Valley.
                And what do you think of that statement TG, based on your extensive experience with PNG beans?
                I have roasted a reasonable amount of the PNG Wahgi from bean bay and really enjoyed them when stopped well short of SC. I took one roast just into SC and did not like it at all.
                Im interested to hear what others have found.

Comment

And what do you think of that statement TG, based on your extensive experience with PNG beans?
                  I have roasted a reasonable amount of the PNG Wahgi from bean bay and really enjoyed them when stopped well short of SC. I took one roast just into SC and did not like it at all.
                  Im interested to hear what others have found.
                  I found CS 7-8 to end at rolling first crack is ideal for PNG greens
                  When fully degassed they have a matt sheen without surface oil

KK

Comment

I did try push a few roasts further than I had been after that but also didnt prefer the results.

Up until then Id gone only to about 20-30 seconds into SC.

I went back to about 20 sec into SC and enjoyed that for quite some time.

Lately Ive been stopping short of SC or just into it if I miss the signs.

bzz said "more tolerant of being over-roasted"; I could accept that.
                    They werent bad, just not my preference.

Comment

Same here...

For my palate, an ashy flavour really does start to predominate over the rest of the flavour spectrum the further into Second Crack you go and really does diminish the overall flavour potential of the bean. About the deepest I have ever gone with PNG beans (and a Sigri Estate from memory) was to pull the roast right on the cusp of the start of Second Crack. The beans are really dark at this stage too, about a CS10-11. They are a great bean at CS8-9 though..... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Primo tripod set up there "bzz" and welcome aboard to another Kiwi.
                        Thanks to Mal and TG for the PNG roasting tips, I have been taking them too far.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

I think you nailed it Mal.
                          Its the ashy flavour that comes through that is the problem.
                          Thanks guys, for your comments.

Cheers,
                          Alan

Comment

Well, a shorter roast for my next batch of PNGs then - thanks everyone. The Bolivians (pictured above) are winning so far, and Im stoked that theyre already tasting in the same ballpark (roughly speaking) as the commercially roasted beans I was buying. Go the home roasting.

Comment

nice setup~~Can u show me where do u inserted your temp probe? I prefer some picture, please~~

Comment

Working...
                              X