Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluid bed roaster

Hi there,
    Just came back from the yarra valley this week and thought I might show the roasting setup I saw at the innocent bystander/giant steps winery, I was so impressed with it that I had to take a snap. Its a fluid bed roaster with a cyclone exhaust separator for starters .... Had a chat with the master roaster and informed me that this is their primary roaster doing 1kg batches at a time. The setup allowed him to tweak the roast profile very accurately and repetitively, I was also told. Having never come across anything like this before I was very impressed and so drawn to it, WOW, very high tech!

what do you think? I wonder how a similar setup could be created for home use.....

Rancho.

Re: Fluid bed roaster

Now that looks like fun. It also looks like if I got it up to 88mph I could send it back to 1955.

Would fit perfectly in the corner of my office

Comment

Hi

That setup really looks like a well instrumented, custom built, rig - something like a laboratory or uni would have for doing research. It does not look like an "out of the box" commercial roaster. Also suggested by the 1kg size, perfect for a shot or coffee snobs that roats like us. I wonder if he did this all himself or it was designed and built for him to spec?

Mike

Comment

I want the plans for building it

Just to see if it will come in at under $1K
        KK

Comment

this roaster is made by Neohaus

Priced from 15,000 euro + shipping

http://www.neuhaus-neotec.de/index.php?hid=55&id=185

graham

Comment

I will have 2 please ;D Cool look if you have some spare $$ for a Cafe.

Comment

Thats a really cool roaster.
              But at 30k+ aussie dollars, I think Ill stick with the Corretto.

Comment

Hi all

What I dont follow is that the site says Fresh coffee can be prepared "just in time" in the presence of the customer. That is - no week of waiting for the beans to stabilise or develop their chemistry. Whats with that? Drum roasters produce greeny or not quite great beans in the first days let alone minutes after roasting. Or does this only apply to drum roasting and not to fluidised bed, fast roasting?

Mike

Comment

They may tell the customer when they buy them freshly roasted, that theyre best to rest for a couple of days.

Of course, if the customer is buying it pre-ground then Id say the consensus here would be to consume it by the time you get home.

As a funny/disturbing aside, I just noticed on a speciality coffee business website located in a bayside suburb of Melbourne, offering advice that their beans can keep for up to 8 weeks if pre-ground. Yikes!

Comment

I think someone had to much money buying a roaster that does 1 kg batches for $30,000 it would take a long time to turn a profit.

Comment

I will stick to my current turbo oven project for a build cost of less than $100.00 AU

And I am sure it will roast 1kg without much trouble

But his looks more snobish

KK

Comment

Someone already made this???? Aw, crap.

CHAD

Comment

Throwing some numbers at the $30k and if you work on $30/kg for Brown retail and give the Roaster 10% or $3/kg of that only 1000kg needed for payback. 20kg/week for a year and it is yours for free

Still a 20k+ premium for 8-) on a 1kg roaster is a bit much.

Comment

Personally, I really like my little rottie oven setup, auto cooling, and very little supervision required, just to listen for first crack then turn on exhaust fan dial temp back and then listen for second crack, reverse direction, and then cooling comences. Too easy really.......... I love it.

Ray.

Comment

The winery/restaurant/cafe is massive place, by the looks of it they have spent so much money on the hole set up that, 20k+ on a roster wouldnt be a lot money(for them). I think it has such WOW factor, but at the end of the day its really up to the master roaster to bring out the best in the beans.

as for building one, dont think ill evan attempt to make something like this.
                              Rancho.

Comment

Working...
                              X