Help With A Little Corretto BM Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With A Little Corretto BM Problem

The kneading paddle of my BM is missing a little plug or button from the top (as seen in picture below) and coffee beans get stuck in there during roasting (they of course burn).
    Id like to fill the hole with something, maybe a food and heat safe cement or similar? Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Help With A Little Corretto BM Problem

blob of silicone?

Comment

Gday "cgr"...

If you can find out whether there is anyone in your locality who do pottery kiln relining, they will almost certainly have some ceramic adhesive/mortar. Just give em a ring and see if they wouldnt mind whacking a dab on top of your Correttos stirring shaft (after cleaning the bread pan and shaft-end of the stirring paddle of course)....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks guys. Can silicone stand such temps Yeeza?

Comment

Originally posted by cyrilgoldenrock link=1226660405/0#3 date=1226729050
          Thanks guys. Can silicone stand such temps Yeeza?
          High Temp automotive silicone is the best

I use Permatex Red RVT silicone
          Get it at Repco, Supercheap & other similar auto shops
          KK

Comment

A bit of research on the emissions from various silicone sealants under heat stress is probably called for; hence my suggestion to use a ceramic cement. Once tempered, it will pretty well be there for life and emit nothing....

Mal.

Comment

A bit of research on the emissions from various silicone sealants under heat stress is probably called for
              Just had a look at the packaging of the silicone I use and it states that it is used to seal oven doors

Cyril you can place a dollop of silicone and then a 5 cent piece on top to seal the hole. This will give you a metal surface that is more resilient to the churning beans

KK

Comment

Thanks for all the info and advice. Ill be mulling it over and will yet yall know how i get on.

Comment

A little wad of aluminum foil is what I use to keep beans out of that depression.  Granted it falls out when I dump my beans but its easy enough to fish out during cooling  

Thinking about it more one could make sort of a aluminum foil cap for the dough hook and secure it with a pipe clamp or just a piece of wire.

Comment

Use steep wool, sandpaper, an abrasive pad or your heat gun to remove the paint and interior coating from a soda or beer can and then cut it into the appropriate shape with scissors so that it will jam in between the shaft and the hook. You can make it into a dome or arch shape so no bean(s) will stay unmoving on top of it. Properly shaped and jammed into place it should remain in place when pouring the beans out at the end of the roast.

An alternative if an alum can is not the right thickness would be to pay a visit to a local letterpress printer with your pan and ask them if you could acquire an appropriately sized brass (thicker) or copper (thinner) spacer. Be sure to clean up the spacer with some steel wool/sandpaper before using it!

Java "Prefers metal over plastic" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X