Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roaster Current KK Project (recommend tweaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaster Current KK Project (recommend tweaks)

Hi all
    Current Coffee Roaster Project
    I have the plans and parts of my new roaster
    (I would like to advise that some of the design ideas for this roaster were borrowed and others are my own)

Just putting it out for comment prior to final assembly

***NOTE: My wife had a say in this design and what she wanted was
    “Not to see the roaster when not in use”
    It is made to fit under our BBQ, in one of those S/Steel doors***

Please read the description carefully
    If anyone has any tweaks or recommendations “speak now or forever hold the peace”

++Also NOTE this design can be used just as easily with a heat gun as the heat source

OK just a general description starting from top to bottom (see picture/drawing)

Turbo Oven (Tiffany Model) sits upon a deep straight sided stock pot
    Edge of pot lip has 3 or 4 pieces of tubing that the glass part of the Turbo Oven sits on softly; this set up also lets some heat and pressure out from the gaps.

Inside the pot I have a steamer insert, smaller in size form the stock pot, the steamer insert sits on spacers or legs.
    Steamer insert is made to always fit to self centre and correct height for agitator connection point.
    This self centering feature allows the Thermocouple housing which is a permanent fixture to be at the correct height/depth of the bean mass. Thermocouple housing is fitted from under pot but the probe itself can be removed or inserted as required.
    Housing is a small (tiny) diameter copper pipe pushed into a brass fitting

The position and size of the steamer insert allows heat to pass through the bean mass and deflect back, heat is also directed around the insert in a turbo motion creating an evenly distributed heat source.

The steamer insert holes act as a chaff separator and sifter
    As the agitator turns the beans the chaff falls down through the holes and collects at the bottom of the pot away from the roasting beans

Agitator is connected to a car window motor under a board on small legs allowing space for motor
    By placing the motor under the board it is protected from heat

The stock pot it self is held above the board by two metal strips and the pot can be made to swivel if necessary to allow for the chaff to be disposed by tipping

The blue circle you see may be needed if I need more ventilation so a hole saw will cut out the hole the removed piece will be used as an adjusting gate.

So what do you think over to you?

KK

Re: Roaster Current KK Project (recommend tweaks)

Looks good KK. Im sure it would do an excellent job.

One thing Ive been researching, which Im wondering if it might fit your needs is the Turbo Oven/Stir Crazy solution.

While you need to buy a Stir Crazy off ebay and it might have different power requirements, Im seriously considering buying one and modifying it as I think once set up, it will be a nice all in one solution that can be easily packed away. From what I understand it will also allow quite good control over the roast profile too.

-ACog

Comment

One thing Ive been researching, which Im wondering if it might fit your needs is the Turbo Oven/Stir Crazy solution.

While you need to buy a Stir Crazy off ebay and it might have different power requirements, Im seriously considering buying one and modifying it as I think once set up, it will be a nice all in one solution that can be easily packed away. From what I understand it will also allow quite good control over the roast profile too.

-ACog
      You can get a stir crazy "copy" in Australia however the are to small in diameter for the turbo ovens @ 21cm

Yes it is a good idea
      I have considered cost including postage from USA and so far my project has cost
      $83.00 for parts including the new turbo oven (some parts were in my garage)
      $ 28.00 for the Thermocouple
      If I add another $50 for the unforeseen it will still be cheaper and more robust

KK

Comment

The stir crazy motors are too slow and wimpy(reversing motors). The reason I never went that route of frustration.
        Not sure if you have seen my roaster?(see my blog site) Similar in general concept. I have bean temp. and maximum environmental temp. readings. The 2 I find most useful. Chaff exits into the canister. Drive motor similar to what your suggesting. The drive motor will want to be speed adjustable. Go for it  8-)
        farm

Comment

Looks good. I did the bowl in bowl thing with mine in the end to get to 1st a little quicker (collander). It distributes the heat really well. Thanks for that idea! Make sure your holes arent too big to jam beans/agitator.

No chaff exits the hole I made - it all falls through the collander and into the bottom bowl. But it is good for getting some air circulation (get rid of smoke). It probably loses some heat from the roaster, but thats not a problem - it is hot enough in there. Heat in these vary depending how high the beans are in the bowl. I see this as important variable, and think the next mod for mine would be to be able to easily adjust hte height of the collander ( even mid roast).

My thermocouple comes in through a copper pipe at the top of the pot to avoid the agitator. If the wire goes too close to the top though, you will melt it.

The trick for me is controlling the heat at first crack so the roast doesnt get away from me. I do this by temp - at a certain point in first crack my method is to turn the element off allowing for gradual heat rise. Works well for me - IO just set my DMM high buzzer to go off at the right temp to alert me to turn down.

Damian.

Comment

Hi farm,

What is your blogs url?

Thanks

Comment

Hi KK, Im just wondering how you plan to dump the beans once theyre roasted? Is there some sort of handle to lift out the colander thats not shown?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1228631426/0#6 date=1228698150
                Hi KK, Im just wondering how you plan to dump the beans once theyre roasted?  Is there some sort of handle to lift out the colander thats not shown?
                Dennis
                The steamer insert is removable via a handle straight up and out (gloves or hook needed)

KK

Comment

Originally posted by ACog link=1228631426/0#5 date=1228696586
                  Hi farm,

What is your blogs url?

Thanks
                  just click the www below

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1228631426/0#7 date=1228701703
                    Originally posted by Dennis link=1228631426/0#6 date=1228698150
                    Hi KK, Im just wondering how you plan to dump the beans once theyre roasted?  Is there some sort of handle to lift out the colander thats not shown?
                    Dennis  
                    The steamer insert is removable via a handle straight up and out (gloves or hook needed)

KK

Dennis
                    I have just acquired a deep frying/steamer round basket 22cm dia X 14cm deep that has a spring loaded handle it can be squeezed to release or to connect as required

I need to rework the bowl self centre and hight fitting as it is smaller in diameter but taller than my other steam insert
                    Hope it will hold stable heat mass in the beans a little better

Note: This deep fryer/steamer insert has straight sides although the picture shows it to be conical bowl shape

This is it with handle in normal position &    Handle how I intend to use it

KK

Comment

Thanks KK. Dont forget to buy some gloves.

Comment

Dont need to Dennis handle is removable and spring loaded

It wont be in the roasting chamber
                        I need only to attach it and lift

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1228631426/0#11 date=1228826786
                          Dont need to Dennis handle is removable and spring loaded

It wont be in the roasting chamber
                          I need only to attach it and lift

KK
                          Id still get the mittens KK...just in case.

Comment

With the handle in that position, pouring the beans out to cool looks like it would be awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1228631426/0#13 date=1228831911
                              With the handle in that position, pouring the beans out to cool looks like it would be awkward.
                              I intend lifting the beans out with handle facing inwards
                              if it proves to be problematic during the bean dump to the cooler the handle can be reversed in 3 seconds to its normal outer position

Its a great design, very flexible

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X