Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch roaster

Hi there,

Ive tried to search on the forum but it just comes back with a blank page :-? any ideas?

Anyhow. Ive just started roasting coffee for family/friends, and a friend of a friend recommended to an office that they should buy my coffee. So, I thought it mightve been 5KG tops, but they want 10KG of beans (confirming with them whether they want roasted or not)..

Now, I currently use a popcorn machine to roast 1/2 cup batches of coffee. Obviously this wont suffice if he orders another 10KG.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a batch roaster? I know of the Gene Cafe for ~$700 that can do 300g in ~20 minutes, so just over an hour for a 1kg.

Any recommendations? Cheers

Re: Batch roaster

Sorry to rain on your parade a little but there is also a cool down time in the cycle so closer to 30 minutes/batch. The cheap solution for a larger volume is a "Big Loaf" Corretto with batches more like 600g.

BTW There is a brand new 7kg Roaster on Evilbay at present for only $22k opening bids ;D

Comment

Hi JR and welcome.

I have a Big Loaf BM and 1kg is about max green per roast 750gm is perfect.
      10kg as BF said, thats a real roaster, the 5kg Roasters here in NZ start at $13k and as far as I know they are nothing too flash.

Good Luck !

CB

Comment

I say leave it well alone
        Unless you have a commercial roaster
        Talk to sponsors
        Go Barista or Coffee Roasters Australia

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 4F6B626261615B4F6B77696B040 link=1238129442/3#3 date=1238131363
          I say leave it well alone
          I agree. Roasting for family and friends is kind of nice in very small quantities, but even a once off 10kg lot is over a hobbyists head.

Not to mention that once you begin roasting commercially, as this would be, it open up issues of liability should someone fall sick (related to the coffee or not). Not to mention, you dont have the time and resources to keep consistency in check.

Its a nice compliment to your roasting though.

Comment

My suggestion would be if this is a continous order say once a month maybe contact Andy or one of the C/S sponsors who roast and see if they can do the roasting for you of course they will charge you a fee for doing this.
            You would need to set up a ligitimate business and have an ABN I would think.
            My wifes work wants some coffee from me but I have no ABN no commerial roaster so I have said anyone at her work who wants coffee for themselves I would be happy to do a small roast

Comment

I currently operate as a sole trader with two businesses, so I know those requirements - its just the roaster that I need to get down pat.

Not sure what route Ill go. Theres a local coffee shop down the road that is looking at roasting their coffee - ill see if I can rent their roaster to do batches..

Comment

That should be a good option.

Comment

Where are you located, JR coffee?

Comment

Originally posted by 124D554348434F464645454D414E200 link=1238129442/8#8 date=1238140133
                    Adelaide..

Comment

Originally posted by 0911002C25252626430 link=1238129442/9#9 date=1238179272
                      Originally posted by 124D554348434F464645454D414E200 link=1238129442/8#8 date=1238140133
                      Adelaide..
                      <<<<<< You could try the coffee barun...

Mark may be prepared to consider contract roasting for you.

Comment

Yes leave it well alone.
                        I supply the office i work for but only roast 1kg of it myself (the decaf) the rest i get from a local roaster prebagged and ready to go.
                        All i do is put my own label on it.

Why give yourself the hassle of all the roast time for little or no return, even at home your time should be valued.

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by 6F62616F0D0 link=1238129442/11#11 date=1238191268
                          Why give yourself the hassle of all the roast time for little or no return, even at home your time should be valued.
                          If you had to buy a roaster to take this deal, work out how long it would take to get the purchase price back from the sales.

You may decide its not worth the risk of spending that much money on a roaster.

Comment

Very true TG.
                            Also take into account that you are also technically supposed to have your roasting and packaging area certified for food handling etc.
                            Hence why it is so much easier if you can strike up a deal with a roaster.

If you are doing a reasonable volume per week then the rate/kg can be negotiated.

Mal

Comment

Cheers guys - Ill shoot the Coffee Barun an email. Im happy to do up to around 500g or so, which I do for some light users - but 10KG was a bit excessive.

Comment

Working...
                              X