Has Garanti roaster discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Garanti roaster discussion thread

Further to the post in our sponsor area http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933911/0#3, we now have a Garanti roaster discussion thread

Chris

Re: Has Garanti roaster discussion thread

Hi all

Intro: Great. Ill be lurking in here. I have been in contact with a few roaster supply companies as Im on the lookout for a 2nd hand 1kg roaster for home use. I have really been looking at reviews of the Toper Cafemino electric and a potential 2nd hand one that was up for sales seems to have fallen though.

I really should look at this table top Garanti HGS 1. Anyone have one of these and using it?

Mike

Comment

Im curious too. I imagine these arent really intended for the domestic market and the 1kg table top would more qualify as a shop roaster. Given it has more than 3 x the capacity of the GeneCafe or HotTop, would it be 3x the price?
      Heres the guff on the HG site

Comment

Originally posted by 79736671717E6A6C1F0 link=1245553677/2#2 date=1245558702
        Im curious too. I imagine these arent really intended for the domestic market and the 1kg table top would more qualify as a shop roaster. Given it has more than 3 x the capacity of the GeneCafe or HotTop, would it be 3x the price?
        If only Flynn,

Sadly, it doesnt work that way as most of the components required to manufacture a coffee roaster are required in any roaster...therefore, a 5kg roaster will never be anywhere near 1/6 of the price of a 30kg model....

Chris

Comment

Hi Flynn

Dealers and site sponsors here will give you an exact price but for a machine of 1-2kg your looking at a ball park of $10,00 new and $5000 or so 2nd hand. This all depends on exchange rate and things of course.

Hence why Im looking at 2nd hand. The bugger is that these things hold their value quite well. But they are real roasters and should, in the right hand and with some practice, be better than a Gene if your trying to make a few kgs a week of coffee. Im sick of doing 4 runs on a Sunday in my Gene but I dont want to go the corretto route for larger batch size. I just dont really think they are very reproducible.

So yeah they are expensive. Full stop.

Mike

Comment

A bit of a rhetorical question I confess. You just have to look at it to see that it would be much more than $3K.

I imagine 2nd hand ones would be hard to find. A GC or HT would suit my modest needs but Im looking to get a corretto going. It would have to be the easiest and best value-for-money option for a roaster that can do batches > 300g.

Comment

Originally posted by 67647178717B797D7F71140 link=1245553677/4#4 date=1245567011
              I dont want to go the corretto route for larger batch size. I just dont really think they are very reproducible.
              Depends on how much effort youre prepared to put in Mike... A very generalised statement if ever there was one :-?

If youre only looking for something that will roast batches of around a Kilo at a time, why not go the route of the style of roaster that KK has documented. These are extremely amenable to proper profile control with a minimum of effort (compared to a Corretto for example) and produce excellent and repeatable results... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Ive just seen some discussion about a 300g Garanti on HB. Any in Australia yet? Any comments about them?

My only problem with Coretto is that Im breathing in 1 hours worth of smoke and particles each week. Im considering purchasing a HT just for the partial smoke filtering, but know nothing really of the 300g Garanti.

Comment

Hi all Garanti owners

There is a HGS2 2 kg table top model and a smaller1 kg HGS 1. For the 2kg model:

1. Can anyone tell me from experience what is the lowest load for a Garanti HGS 2 which would still result in a good roast?

2. At the lower loads at some point the sampler would not pick up the beans. About what load does this occur?

3. At the lowest load what happens to the beans? Do they get too hot and char/tip or what does one notice?

Thanks
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 6F6C79707973717577791C0 link=1245553677/8#8 date=1250075088
                    Hi all Garanti owners

There is a HGS2 2 kg table top model and a smaller1 kg HGS 1. For the 2kg model:

1. Can anyone tell me from experience what is the lowest load for a Garanti HGS 2 which would still result in a good roast?

2. At the lower loads at some point the sampler would not pick up the beans. About what load does this occur?

3. At the lowest load what happens to the beans? Do they get too hot and char/tip or what does one notice?

Thanks
                    Mike

Hi Mike,

I know that Andy can and does roast down to 2kg on his 10 kg HG and I frequently do 1.5kg on my 5kg. Id say that you should be able to roast to 500-600g no problem on a 2kg model

Chris

Comment

I love the look of that HGS-1--although where Id put it, I dont know. "Tabletop" is a bit misleading, its larger than a 2-drawer filing cabinet!

Greg

Comment

Hi all

Its just a bit wider than a filing cabinet and a bit more again when you add the chaf collector.
                        In fact the HGS-1 isnt much smaller than the HGS-2.
                        Ive since found by the way that a HGS-2 trier wont pick up beans till one has about a kilo in it. 500 grams wont get sampled.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 6360757C757F7D797B75100 link=1245553677/11#11 date=1250328477
                          Hi all

Its just a bit wider than a filing cabinet and a bit more again when you add the chaf collector.
                          In fact the HGS-1 isnt much smaller than the HGS-2.
                          Ive since found by the way that a HGS-2 trier wont pick up beans till one has about a kilo in it. 500 grams wont get sampled.

Mike
                          Hi Mike,
                          I have a HGS-2 (shop). I am very certain that 500 grams will get picked up in the trier. I will check tomorrow morning and let you know.
                          Cheers
                          Nigel.

Comment

Hi aedion

That would be much appreciated.
                            Im looking to buy one and keen to know its lower load limit.

Mike

Comment

Have just done 300 gram (green) in my HGS-2 and the trier picked up the beans OK. Just need to go easy on the gas

Comment

Working...
                              X