Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Javas new roaster and the refurbing thereof-Renamed from: Its just a little crate....or is it?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javas new roaster and the refurbing thereof-Renamed from: Its just a little crate....or is it?!

Originally posted by 6671706E7B7A71252625140 link=1245857909/10#10 date=1245893455
    Hurry up Java..............lets see 8-)
    OK Redzone. Just for you Ill pop the top on the crate...

...and reveal whats inside.

Oh look! Its a crate full of Styrofoam! Or is it?

Oh wait, look! Theres cardboard too! But wait, theres something else under the cardboard!

Whatever could it be?!

What is it mon?!? </Ren&Stipmy>

Its red!

With knobs and buttons!

Its really Red!

With levers and balls and a bunch of dirt and grime!

A-Yup, Its a Primo.

A very dusty/dirty Primo!

Uh-huh, as portended by my profile write-up in Bean Scene I just bought another roaster. I know, I know. WTH am I thinking?! Another year or two of coffee debt to a couple of friends! This little beauty landed on my doorstep last week after several days of long distance negotiations and dealing shipping companies.

The roaster is smaller than Id really like but considering everything its probably the best thing for me at present. Its a 2 pound batch roaster made by Primo that is 100% electric. When Primo redesigned their line of roasters here a few years back they dropped this model from their line. This one looks just like their much larger (20 lb and up) previous model roasters, just a lot smaller. Id planned on going with a 5kg or so roaster but talking with a city inspector the other day it turns out the city recently changed their rules governing roasters. It used to be that an afterburner/smoke eater was only required on roasters with a batch size of over 5 pounds. With the proliferation of 5 pound roasters and coffee shops installing them the city recently reworded the ordinance so that it now says theyre required for any roaster with a capacity of 5 pounds or more. Ggggrrrrrr......... Other advantages of this one is its usable with my existing exhaust system and theres no worrying if its set up for propane or natural gas.

Ive spent the last week initially worrying about its arrival and then pouring over it looking for problems, fixing them, and cleaning it up and catching a few Zs here and there when I just couldnt keep my eyes open any longer. Over the next day or two or three Ill bring yall along on my journey down the Primo trail. For now though I must get some sleep! My eyes are insisting on it!

Java "Its Red! Very, very Red!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Re: Its just a little crate....or is it?!

Jealoussssssss bad.

Comment

Sorry Java "Its Red! Very, very Red!" phile

TG and I need to carry out a full Inspection and Audit...

Thus your only options are to bring us over OR send it here...

Note: Full functional checks and a in-depth process Audit may take a little time...

Sorry Java "Its Red! Very, very Red!" phile = Sorry Java "Its An Audit" phile

Comment

Javaphile......you are SUCH a tease and torment!

Comment

Originally posted by 1E352235243C3D3831540 link=1246288214/0#0 date=1246288214
          The roaster is smaller than Id really like  
          We certainly dont want to feel deprived and under-privileged.
          Yep, I think the only fair thing to do in this case is to re-crate it and send it over here. Hang on, its 110volt isnt it? Oh well, Im sure I can hunt up a transfomer. I promise Ill pass it on to TG and AM (one day perhaps)

Whats the history of it JP?

Comment

Originally posted by 6B444D4F58674B444B4D4F474F445E2A0 link=1246288214/2#2 date=1246303340
            Sorry Java "Its Red! Very, very Red!" phile

TG and I need to carry out a full Inspection and Audit...

Thus your only options are to bring us over OR send it here...

Note: Full functional checks and a in-depth process Audit may take a little time...

Sorry Java "Its Red! Very, very Red!" phile=Sorry Java "Its An Audit" phile
            Sorry, but youll have to pay your own way as my pockets are now worse than empty, theyre operating in negative space/time! :-/

Originally posted by 10212F2C2F400 link=1246288214/3#3 date=1246314992
            Javaphile......you are SUCH a tease and torment!
            And you love it I can tell! ;D

Originally posted by 656F7A6D6D627670030 link=1246288214/4#4 date=1246316385
            Whats the history of it JP?
            It was originally owned by a company that was big in supplying the Hollywood movie industry with coffee where it was apparently used as their test profiling roaster. They helped Primo redesign their roasters and come up with their current product line. They upgraded to the newer and larger model and then sold this one to a private party (I suspect because it was no longer working properly but more on that later in the thread. 8-)) some 5 or so years ago. He planned on opening a business using it and he either never used it at all or tried to roast with it and gave up when smoke came billowing from every crack and orifice. So its been sitting on a shelf for roughly the last 5 years. Until he decided to sell it and I saw the ad in one of my several times a day searches a couple hours after he posted it. I immediately called him to get details on it and started talking turkey.

While we were coming to terms I contacted the original owner and spoke to him about the roaster and started pulling up maps and planning my route for another (Epic?) roaster journey. However it was not to be this time as he needed the money now and not in the several days it would take me to drive there. Hollywood, where the roaster was located, is some 3,500km or so from here. He also had some someone else coming to look at it the next day and I had little doubt that with his asking price the first person to see it would buy it on the spot. I have several personal contacts in the area I contacted in an attempt for one of them to be able to pick it up and hold it for me but none of them could do it on such short notice. So I madly started searching for a company out there who could pick it up, pack it, and freight it to me. With-in a few hours wed agreed on a price and Id made arrangements for a packing and freighting company in Hollywood to act as my agents and pick the roaster up the next day.

As I didnt know him from Adam part of our agreement was that he would be paid only after the company Id contracted with verified the reality of the roasters existence and its condition. Accordingly when they showed up the next day to pick it up I spoke to them and confirmed that the roaster did in fact exist and that it was all in one piece. Whereupon I paid the gentleman electronically and the freighters hauled off the roaster. They had it crated and on its way to me via air freight the next day.

My hand is telling me its time to stop typing so Ill wrap this up with a picture of it circa 2002 in its original home that I discovered while researching it.

Java "Another installment down!" phile

Comment

Javaphile....you are a true Coffeesnob.....in every sense of the word....Congratulations on your find and the lightning-quick action that you employed to swoop on it!

Comment

Great anecdote. I hope the struggle was worthwhile.
                Im sure the original owner employed some salesmanpersonship unless they were already aware that it would be a "red-hot" seller.

Originally posted by 775C4B5C4D555451583D0 link=1246288214/5#5 date=1246325341
                Whereupon I paid the gentleman electronically
                I take it your banking system can process bank transfers quickly. It takes a couple of bus. days here for Joe Citizen to get his/her funds cleared. You wouldnt get your goods until the payment appears in the sellers account.

Comment

mmmm....jealous much ! as we say in NZ 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 4F5859475253580C0F0C3D0 link=1246288214/8#8 date=1246329709
                    jealous much ! as we say in NZ
                    Yoda was a Kiwi?

(Congrats Java!)

Comment

Truly impressive! Congrats, was eagerly awaiting the next installment! Whats next?

Comment

Very red and very nice Java.
                        Looking forward to the roast results.

Comment

Wow I love the look of that little baby, I think every snob here would be happy having that roaster. Here I was feeling chuffed about my little milestone when I modded my Gene, Java this is a whole new level.

Comment

I like the angled diamond shape
                            It will make Andy Warhol proud as it has that element of pop art about it dont you think ??

KK

Comment

Sorry folks, I didnt mean to disappear like that. Unfortunately I had some computer problems that had to be dealt with here.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations. As you can probably tell Im a bit chuffed about the little beauty.

Originally posted by 656F7A6D6D627670030 link=1246288214/7#7 date=1246329403
                              Im sure the original owner employed some salesmanpersonship
                              Very possible.

unless they were already aware that it would be a "red-hot" seller.
                              I dont think he was. If he was he would have put it on the bay of evil where it no doubt would have sold for twice as much. 8-)

I take it your banking system can process bank transfers quickly. It takes a couple of bus. days here for Joe Citizen to get his/her funds cleared.  
                              No doubt our banking system moves just as slowly. Which is why I paid him via Credit Card done over the phone.

Originally posted by 486C656566665C486C706E6C030 link=1246288214/13#13 date=1246412967
                              I like the angled diamond shape
                              It will make Andy Warhol proud as it has that element of pop art about it dont you think ??
                              Indeed! Ive admired the looks of Primos for quite a while now. Theyre kind of a classical meets retro meets (Especially on this one!) pop. That diamond shape really gives it an unusual and distinctive look. The whole design caught my eye right off. Ive been admiring their larger roasters for years and, while theyre lacking the diamond shape, in person their build quality has really impressed me and their appearance has reached out and grabbed me. They have a look unlike any of the other roasters out there that Ive ever seen. They look like......Art. But not a wimpy, made only for looks piece of art. Up close it is quickly clear that theyre a seriously heavy-duty hunk of machinery. Everything has that solidness to it that you can only get from real mass. Theyve managed to take a very serious piece of machinery and turn it into something that would feel right at home on display in an Art Museum. I liked them so much that when I came across a couple of their larger models in my recent hunt I almost bought one. This despite that they were just a bit larger (20 and 35 pounders :) than I needed and despite what the city would say about it. ;D

The story continues, a tiny bit anyways.

Once I had it all uncrated, with the help of a friend I got it up onto a heavy duty printer stand where I could more easily access it. To make it even easier the stand had wheels and was designed to hold printers weighing 150kg or more. The roaster weighs in at 70-75kg so I was able to move/spin it around to get the best angle on things with ease.

But now unfortunately once again the mind is going gray and the hand is saying its time to stop so until the nonce Ill leave you with this:

The inspection begins!

Java "Itchy fingers" phile

Comment

Working...
                              X