Heat gun holders for corretto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat gun holders for corretto

My first popcorn roaster has already bitten the dust - the fan keeps dying and the beans have burned on the last two roasts so its time to upgrade to a corretto.
    I have the bm - a sunbeam bakehouse which does at least 12 mins non stop on dough setting, and I bought a ozito heatgun this weekend.
    Ive had a little search around the site for methods people use to suspend the heatgun above the bm. The most successful seem to be those that use a bottle topper, or a drill press (as i dont know what they are offically called I thought that would explain what I meant). As I dont have either of these implements i am wondering what other ingenuous ingenious ideas CSers have had to do the same thing, but cheaper.
    I noticed benandfaith are using a standard lamp - which I may look out for at an op-shop, but if you have any ideas, please feel free to show me the setup you have.

Re: Heat gun holders for corretto

I used a lamp stand I found on a take out your dead collection, cut it down for the rod and clamp, I attached the heatgun with a hose clamp and cut away part of the trim on side of bm and slotted the shaft down the side of the bm body to make it self contained.

Comment

I use a guitar stand. Works a treat, but you have to have an umbrella hole in your table.

Comment

Thanks for the photos - they have given me an idea which I will experiment with over the weekend. Will report back

Comment

Bunnings sell a spring loaded clip in their tool section for about $5
          Its kinda like a bulldog clip, but with more of a capital A shape [about 12cm tall].
          It is metal with red rubber handles.

You can easily screw this clip it to whatever you like, but the real advantage of it is that it is strong enough to hold any HG irrespective of the style of handle.

Comment

I went the camera tripod route. Had one sitting around that has a broken leg and the ability to wind the HG up and down is worth its weight in gold.

Comment

Thats cool Jeff K

Chris

Comment

I used an old portable drill stand I borrowed from my brother years ago. He hasnt got a drill that fits it anymore so Ive put it to good use  

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. I ended up finding a $12 camera tripod at a local op shop, and modded that a little to produce

It was late and the lighting wasnt good so apologies for the dark image.
                  Discovered the BM runs for 20 mins on the dough setting so that should be plenty of time once I get the other variables sorted.
                  Did 3 roasts tonight.
                  1st only just got into 1st crack, so a little light.
                  2nd took around 12 mins to 2nd crack
                  3rd took even less time at around 9.30 to 2nd crack.
                  I know I need to extend those times somewhat, but we played around with too many variables at once instead of concentrating on one at a time. Lesson learned for tomorrows attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by 2A2F2828272328460 link=1251198320/8#8 date=1252067942
                    Did 3 roasts tonight.
                    1st only just got into 1st crack, so a little light.
                    2nd took around 12 mins to 2nd crack
                    3rd took even less time at around 9.30 to 2nd crack.
                    I know I need to extend those times somewhat, but we played around with too many variables at once instead of concentrating on one at a time. Lesson learned for tomorrows attempts.  
                    It takes a few roasts to get a handle on it. I had some help from moderator Mal who steered me in the right direction. Thanks Mal

Anyway I find with my set up I aim for 100C at the 5 minute mark, and then lower the heat gun down to roughly level with the top of the BM which ramps the heat up and gets me to about 200C & first crack at about 12 minutes.
                    I then raise the gun a little and hold the temp at around 210C till second crack at about 18 mins.
                    I dump the beans in the cooler as soon as I hear the first signs of second crack  

Comment

Sorry I am coming in a little late but this pendulum design heat gun holder may help others

KK

Comment

I love the different ways everyone does the same job.

When I couldnt get a drill stand I opted for the lump of wood and clamp (that I had lying around). This leans up against the back of the breadmaker and the lid; jammed up against it with another lump of wood. Im always surprised when it doesnt fall over. One of these days I might get around to giving it a foot.

I even manage a bit of up and down movement without undoing the clamp.

Juls

Comment

Working...
                        X