found some specs at another web page

Classic coffee roaster

Specification:

Dimension, in centimeters: 24Wx 33Hx 36D

Weight: 12kg

Batch Capacity: 150~300g( Approx. 8 OZ)

Roasting Time: 14~20 minutes

Thermometer: 0~300 degrees centigrade stainless traditional meter

Inner roller: 304 stainless steel roller with 3 sets of leaf, kickstand, and the center axes.

Roller motor: Industrial metal 6W gear down motor

Power control: Traditional frequency transistor circuit (not IC) instrument level VR

Hot wind control: Traditional frequency transistor ciucuit (not IC) instrument level VR

Heating source: Electrical heater

Heat wind motor: Industrial metal fan

Filter: Stainless net cup (easy to clean)

Bean Container: Stainless Steel

Voltage: 110/240

The QUEST M3 coffee roaster can unleash the best efficiency and convenience with 150~300g (approx. 8 o.z.) coffee beans, this quantity of beans suit galvanothermy heating the most.

With M3 coffee roaster, you may enjoy roasting coffee beans easily, light roasting, deep roasting; whatever you like. M3 is a small model (within 300g per batch), and the first design of small coffee roaster which made in big size ones way. It is industrial product with different in appearance, plus operating as easy as cooking instant noodles. Roasting coffee beans per batch can be made within 15 minutes only. You dont need to worry about how to preserve the beans, fresh coffee every day, No matter beginners or experts, only if you need a perfect, easy to operate, and can be used for a long time of classic small type coffee roaster, it must be one of the best choice for you.(Patent Product)

Optional Information
    - HS Code : 8516 Electric Heaters; Other Electrothermic Appliances for Domestic Purpose
    - Payment : T/T
    - Origin : Taiwan
    - Minimum Order : 1
    - Packaging : cartoon
    - Samples : Charge

Comment

Re: Quest M3 - Another new Roaster???

yep - there is a bit of info out there, including Flickr Pics and some info on other forums.

Looks interesting - but significantly more expensive than the Gene.

One cool thing in the vid is to be able to stick a DMM probe directly into the bean mass.

Comment

Hi all

The M3 looks very nicely built. Where its different to the Gene is that the M3 is clearly designed as a scaled down conventional roaster with the inlet, outlet, viewport, and drum in the same configuration, the Gene is more unconventional. Perhaps the M3 will appeal to buyers that want a Mini-Me roaster. I think the M3 will more likely compete with a Hottop as it will be closer to a Hottop in price than a Gene.

Anyhow I think it looks great. I think the Behmore looks too much like a microwave oven to want one myself :-) Id go for an M3.

Mike

Comment

yeah - the prices I saw were in the region of 900 USD
          I would not say no to one

Comment

Originally posted by 393A2F262F252723212F4A0 link=1252297618/3#3 date=1252309842
            Id go for an M3.
            Looks promising but this is version 1.0 and Id like to see a model that can handle batch sizes up to 500g .

I wont rush into it but already putting the spadework on the missus as my possible next major coffee purchase. The price is US$880 so, yes, in the HotTop price range seems about right.

Comment

Interesting and the fact its more like a real roaster and tweakable is attractive. I guess the gotchas are that its electric and only really becomes attractive to the average CSer if it can do a 500-600g batch- which it cant. I cant figure out how chaff is separated?? The cooling looks a tad dodgy as well...

To me it looks good enough that Id seriously consider one over a hottop if I was shopping for one, but it is 2 x gene price  :-/.

Now what we want is for it to be scaled up with a real gas burner and run on canned propane like the ring burners in restaraunts. 1kg drop and under $2k AUD and its a category killer I reckon. Where are you KK??  8-)

Comment

from what i read briefly in the HB and CG forums is you control air and heat independently. I assume chaff is blown somewhere, but also could not figure out where.

The cooling has a vacuum, but I think you have to move the beans from the drop tray to another point.

Looks interesting though!

Comment

Originally posted by 1C435B4D464D4148484B4B434F402E0 link=1252297618/6#6 date=1252311386

Now what we want is for it to be scaled up with a real gas burner and run on canned propane like the ring burners in restaraunts. 1kg drop and under $2k AUD and its a category killer I reckon.  
                  when i watched the vid i thought "now thats a roaster!!" but at say 250grms its to small

totaly agree with 2mcm scaled up to 1kg then WOW!!!, wonder why they put so much effort into such a small machine? market research would have indicated 500 min  to 1kg? would have been best?

wait for mark2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by 616D646969600C0 link=1252297618/8#8 date=1252315983
                    Originally posted by 1C435B4D464D4148484B4B434F402E0 link=1252297618/6#6 date=1252311386

Now what we want is for it to be scaled up with a real gas burner and run on canned propane like the ring burners in restaraunts. 1kg drop and under $2k AUD and its a category killer I reckon.  
                    when i watched the vid i thought "now thats a roaster!!" but at say 250grms its to small

totaly agree with 2mcm scaled up to 1kg then WOW!!!, wonder why they put so much effort into such a small machine? market research would have indicated 500 min  to 1kg? would have been best?

wait for mark2 ?
                    yea i cant work it out either, average household circuits in america are supposed to be similar to Australia at 2400 watts, the average roaster consumes between 1200-1600 so there is plenty of head room even using electric. (unless my undertanding on power is completely wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by 5D45404055446F5D515E0607300 link=1252297618/9#9 date=1252318735
                      Originally posted by 616D646969600C0 link=1252297618/8#8 date=1252315983

wait for mark2 ?
                      yea i cant work it out either, average household circuits in america are supposed to be similar to Australia at 2400 watts, the average roaster consumes between 1200-1600 so there is plenty of head room even using electric. (unless my undertanding on power is completely wrong)
                      Watts is the final output in power...

The issue is that it is dependant on the Voltage and the Current..

Thus the US is half the Voltage and twice the Current as compared to Australia...  

I am sure that others will comment but the issue of why these values for Current and Voltage is due to any number of issues due to the generation and being able to distribute the said power..  

The other factor here, is that the resistance of the conductors play an important part....  Then there is the issue of frequency and capacitance which also play an important part when looking at real power and power factors...  

Love it when you remove all  the XXXXX and your power meter runs backwards...  But do not get caught :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 1A353C3E29163A353A3C3E363E352F5B0 link=1252297618/10#10 date=1252321472

Thus the US is half the Voltage and twice the Current as compared to Australia...  

I am sure that others will comment but the issue of why these values for Current and Voltage is due to any number of issues due to the generation and being able to distribute the said power..  

The other factor here, is that the resistance of the conductors play an important part....  Then there is the issue of frequency and capacitance which also play an important part when looking at real power and power factors...  

Love it when you remove all  the XXXXX and your power meter runs backwards...  But do not get caught :-)

So do you think that 1600 watts is probably the limit? Is batch size being limited by power or are there other reasons that manufacturers keep making roasters this size?

Comment

Originally posted by 3820252530210A38343B6362550 link=1252297618/11#11 date=1252326688
                          Originally posted by 1A353C3E29163A353A3C3E363E352F5B0 link=1252297618/10#10 date=1252321472

So do you think that 1600 watts is probably the limit? Is batch size being limited by power or are there other reasons that manufacturers keep making roasters this size?

No... The limit is set by your current.. 10A or maybe a 15A cct at home :-)

Problem is there is a rate of usable heat that is dependant on the insulation of ya system... Every thing has a trade off... Even for Coffee Machines... Once ya get above 1800w to 2000w lots of other factors creep in..

Same as cars and speed... to get that little bit more, often costs more than teh car was worth to start with..

Comment

The Quest M3 looks pretty good in that clip.

Nice clean roast (all the chaff was gone well before the beans drop) so I guess the air flow is reasonable.

Would be good to see one first hand... looks similar to a Hottop on face value but more manual and maybe better air flow.

Comment

Here are links for more info on the Quest M3 Roaster.

First from Home-Barista

http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/quest-m3-buying-decision-t11763.html

and then CoffeeGeek

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/434167

Regards
                              Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X