Birth of the Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of the Bruce

After months of chatting, designing, scrounging and some seriously good metalwork, our proverbial old-metalworker-next-door has just delivered our roasting machine - The Bruce (named after its builder). It is a stainless steel drum over a bbq burner turned by a wiper motor. First batch was 300gm Brazil roasted to a very even CS9. Now we just have to be patient enough to enjoy it at its peak. I reckon if anything the batch was a little small for it; looked like it was crying out for at least a half kilo.

Re: Birth of the Bruce

PHOTOS!!!! ;D ;D

p.s sounds awesome

Comment

would love to see some pics

Comment

Thanks Matt

cameras on the blink at the moment, but should get some pics up soon.

In reply to your question re noise on another thread, I think its from the rollers at the far end of the drum from the drive shaft. Rather than a bearing like yours, mine has a pair of bronze rollers. Did you have to get a special heat-tolerant bearing?

Comment

[movedhere] Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks etc [move by] Javaphile.
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 3A363F3F3C3C352C2A2D590 link=1257481059/3#3 date=1257833477
            Did you have to get a special heat-tolerant bearing?
            I didnt get a special bearing, but I asked about heat when I was at the bearing place and they said it would be no problem.

I am planning to try and look up temperature tolerances for this brand of bearing.

Comment

Still very keen to see some photos of Bruce

also, info on how the roasts are going

Comment

here are some pics from this mornings roasts. Our son was nearly late for school because we were fiddling around with this (oops)

and a short video  

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/Luwaks/P1010079.flv

Its a bit of a billycart to Matt Hs Ferrari, but you can have a lot of fun with a billycart!

thatll do for now

L

Comment

looks good, have you done any bigger roasts yet?

Comment

Thanks Matt, We did one of around 600g but beans were being thrown out. However, now that we chock up that end of the stand a little it seems not to be a problem, so will try a big batch soon. The new rollers, with ball bearings, are much quieter, so now it is just the whir of the motor and the rattle of the beans.

Comment

nice, cracks should be loud and clear then.

Comment

what are your thoughts on perforating the drum?

Comment

I perforated the drum in my current roaster myself by wrapping some thin perforated metal that I found around my drum and using it as a drill guide. took a long time.
                          I dont know a lot about the difference between roasting perforated and non perforated though.

Comment

Our roasting times are quite long: 20-24 minutes versus the 12-18 minutes we were getting in the cast iron pot we had been using. Just wondering if this is normal/desirable, and if not, would perforations help. I guess they would assist in the escape of smoke and the burning off of chaff.

Comment

Originally posted by 3C3039393A3A332A2C2B5F0 link=1257481059/13#13 date=1259176690
                              Our roasting times are quite long: 20-24 minutes versus the 12-18 minutes we were getting in the cast iron pot we had been using. Just wondering if this is normal/desirable, and if not, would perforations help.  I guess they would assist in the escape of smoke and the burning off of chaff.
                              From the video I saw... The rotation speed is somewhat faster than I expected and teh beans seem to get LOTS of movement and tossed into the air?

If you look at a HT.. The element is on one side - not the bottom, and the beans tend to sit; due to speed and gravity, on the bottom/ other side and under go a rolling motion....

Even very old mechanical ones with burners etc did not rotate that fast...

Not sure if you can slow it down, and manage tipping etc (Heat / Burner positioned at about 8:00) but my gut says that the speed is causing you heat loss. If you did slow it down and could roast a bit quicker... Also a saving on Gas

Comment

Working...
                              X