1kg home roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1kg home roaster

I have been roasting a home for a while now in a drum roaster that I made myself. It can hold enough green beans to produce 750g roasted.

I am looking at manufacturing a slightly bigger 100% stainless steel version of my roaster that will hold enough green beans to do 1kg of roasted beans.

I am wanting to know how much interest there is out there for such a roaster.

I will continue to post photos as I am about to start making the prototype. I would love to have your input.

Re: 1kg home roaster

What is the heat source?

Comment

it will use a bbq gas bottle

Comment

it is a simple drum set up similar to a sample roaster, it has a gas element under a rotating drum with a opening in the front so that the beans can be tipped straight into a cooling set up once they reach the desired point in the roast.

Comment

this is a half size cardboard model of what it will look like.

Comment

this is a drawing of the inside

It will be a perforated stainless drum.

Ive added this picture of the drum so you can see the drawing come to life

Comment

Hi Matt and good luck with your roaster!

Just a couple of basics from the drawing youve supplied....

Is that a temp probe above the drum? If so, its pretty useless in its current location. Readings will be high and have no relation to whats happening in the bean mass.

In the drum itself, youll need some baffles to promote agitation, otherwise the beans will just slide around the drum.

How do you intend to get them out of the drum? At the moment it looks like youd have to tip the whole unit on its side and give it a good shake!

Cheers
              Den

Comment

Interesting setup. Good luck with your roaster~~~
                One question, what motor do u use?

Comment

Originally posted by 27060D0D0A10630 link=1257649167/6#6 date=1257655244

Just a couple of basics from the drawing youve supplied....

Is that a temp probe above the drum?  If so, its pretty useless in its current location.  Readings will be high and have no relation to whats happening in the bean mass.

In the drum itself, youll need some baffles to promote agitation, otherwise the beans will just slide around the drum.

How do you intend to get them out of the drum?  At the moment it looks like youd have to tip the whole unit on its side and give it a good shake!

Cheers
                  Den
                  Thanks for your input,

The probe is there to give me the air temperature, I find it helpful for adjusting the flame.
                  I have thought a lot about how to get the bean temperature and at the moment I have settled on pointing a laser thermometer an the beans through the opening.

I will have baffles in the drum (they are just not drawn).

the whole unit will pivot on the two protruding arms at the front (see 3D model) bringing it vertical over a cooling tray. the funnel shape in the front of the drum allows the beans to flow out quickly without the need for a good shake. (I have seen many sample roasters that work in this way)

the drum has already been made and works as Ive described. I will post a photo of the drum soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 3A3C2E20253C27490 link=1257649167/7#7 date=1257658523
                    Interesting setup. Good luck with your roaster~~~
                    One question, what motor do u use?
                    I will be using a wiper motor, it is what I use on my current roaster and Im very happy with its speed and power.

Comment

Originally posted by 624348484F55260 link=1257649167/6#6 date=1257655244
                      How do you intend to get them out of the drum?  At the moment it looks like youd have to tip the whole unit on its side and give it a good shake!
                      Looking at the triangular cut out at the bottom left of the drum section I suspect it will be hinged.

I dont know anything about designing roasters but I think it would be a good idea to attach some sort of exhaust with fan to the top to promote airflow giving a bit of extra control, removing the chaf as well as protecting the coffee snob whos eye is staring down the barrel.

Comment

Im thinking of building a drum roaster in the near future. Im still doing my research at the moment. I just wanna ask is all the wiper motor the same? Also, How do u connect the motor to the power outlet?

Thx

Comment

I have only used two so far and they were the same.

I use a 240 to 12v transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by 514D5B390 link=1257649167/10#10 date=1257660409
                            I dont know anything about designing roasters but I think it would be a good idea to attach some sort of exhaust with fan to the top to promote airflow giving a bit of extra control, removing the chaf as well as protecting the coffee snob whos eye is staring down the barrel.
                            I have thought about this also, my current roaster does not have exhaust at the top and as you guessed the opening at the front kind of acts as an exhaust.

when roasting at day time I can clearly see the beans with my eyes well outside burning range. I also have a tester that I can put in the hole and grab some beans for a closer look.

Comment

Originally posted by 686471715A4D6069697C6477050 link=1257649167/12#12 date=1257660756
                              I have only used two so far and they were the same.

I use a 240 to 12v transformer.
                              Where can i get the transfomer? Jaycar?

Comment

Working...
                              X