Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corn popper available Dec 3

Hi CSrs,

Any would be entry level coffee roasters?
    Tools of trade available from Aldi from December 3rd @$15 with 12 months guarantee (conditions apply).

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/58_10962.htm?WT.mc_id=2009-11-27-06-40

This is not a recommendation, just a heads up.

Good luck to all
    Lindsay

Re: Corn popper available Dec 3

I have one of them at home. Works well.

Comment

Love the price!

I should grab a couple for our CS demos, the original ones from Cash Converters are getting a little old in the tooth and close to expiry.
      ...they have done a BIG pile o beans in their time though.

Comment

Originally posted by 607C6A080 link=1259303442/1#1 date=1259315618
        For popcorn or coffee?

Comment

Ive got what appears to be an identical one Tempo brand from KMart, have done several roasts in it so far without any issues, apart from the inside discolouring to a brown coffee colour

Think ill be looking at one of these

Comment

I too have two of the Tempo brand and after initially running a little too hot too quickly, they have tempered and I am getting 11/12 minute roasts.  Brilliant!

Oh, should add that I drilled holes around the bottom in the external plastic cases to slow them down and also a hole right though the middle so my probe can sit in the bean mass.

Comment

Aldi should have stock around now if you need a cheap popper ($15)

Comment

Got a couple today at Point Cook, not too many left when I got there either

Now got an army of 3 so should be able to shorten my roasting period from 2 or 3 hours down to under 2 with any luck

Comment

A quick update on my popper army, have done some roasting this morning and the aldi ones seem to move a bit less air than my tempo branded one, not sure if its because theyre new or not, but im going to run 1/4 cup roasts instead of 1/3 cup roasts now

FC at around 2.5 mins, SC at around 4 so far on both, Tanzania AA beans

Comment

"the aldi ones seem to move a bit less air than my tempo"

Funny you should say that. I ran some popcorn through my new Tempo just to make sure everything was working as it should before turning it into a roaster.

Now Ive previously had a Black&Decker BP100 and Mistral LEP100 popper and now I have Breville Crazy PCM40 (I like popcorn) so Im pretty used to the noise and level of air movement in these things. The test of the Tempo it was immediately obvious that it was much quieter and the agitation less aggressive. I wonder if the newer models are running a lower voltage tap to the motor. I noticed there was older and newer packaging for the Tempo in the shop (I got the newer) - the model number for mine is B-32a1A. Could someone check theirs? I noticed it ran hotter and the popcorn was also quicker and didnt shoot bits everywhere like Im used to. Perhaps the newer models are great for popcorn but not as suitable for our purposes.

Comment

OK update - I just did a side-by-side between the Breville and the Tempo. I dropped a single popcorn in each. In the Breville the corn spun rapidly and orbited against the wall but in the Tempo the corn ricochette wildly all over the place. There is a significant difference between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by 5468756E646572676F64000 link=1259303442/3#3 date=1259321323
                        Originally posted by 607C6A080 link=1259303442/1#1 date=1259315618
                        For popcorn or coffee?
                        You can use them for popcorn?

I modified mine a bit but was getting nice roasts out of it. Usually around 9 minute roasts.

Comment

Working...
                        X