X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, its another My Corretto thread!

Yes this is another My Corretto thread!
    Need to show it off, so here it is:

Using a discussion list at work I managed to pick up an old Breville BB250 bread maker for next to nothing but due to other priorities in the house (Kids teeth come first apparently - who knew!) I only just got my Ryobi EHG2002 heatgun two days ago.

After fiddling around trying to use my bottle capper (needed to be easily removable as I still use it often), then a desk lamp I remembered I had an old pedistool fan in the to throw out heap.
    I took the fan off, cut the cable then managed to securely fasted the gun to it on the required angle using zip ties and then an A clamp as backup.

Finished it this morning and thought I had better get out and try it to make sure it works! Despite being a little windy it worked like a dream except I know next time to raise the gun more as I finished up the roast at 7:10 which is much better than my 3:50 roasts on the popper but I would like to get it out longer - its all about practice!

Heres a few pics of the setup:

Starting the roast:

Starting to brown:

The finished roast

Thanks to everyone whos helped out with this method as its all helped out.

Re: Yes, its another My Corretto thread!

Hi Wambesi,

Well done, hope it pleases in the cup.
    What mass of beans did you roast in that first batch?
    Do you plan to roast larger lots?
    Consensus wisdom suggests around 11-12 min to first crack and another maybe 4-6 to second crack, sometimes I even fall into both ranges.
    From the photo you may have a little tipping on your beans an indication of very strong heating.

Cheers
    Lindsay

Comment

Thanks Lindsay, the tipping would be explained by the heat too close so as mentioned Im going to have to practice more and try different heights as the gun only has two settings. That should assist with getting FC up as well.

This batch was 150g, and once I have everything ironed out I plan to mostly do 250g batches with bigger ones as required.

Also planned is some cable tidies and a few other little things to make it easier and tighter to work with.

Comment

Good to see another home roaster in our midst

Remember practice makes perfect

KK

Comment

Well done mate, great fun isnt it! I found that I used to start my roast with the gun nozzle about 20cm above the top of the BM, then move it down to get my 15C/min climb to FC, I then raised the gun generally back to about 10cm to maintain 2-3C/min to SC, its all about the ramp and this gave me around 12mins to FC and another 5 to SC, now Im onto the KKTO! What an adventure!
          Have fun!

Comment

20cm! Im more like 3cm, but then again you need to pump a lot of heat in when you have about 700-800g in the bowl...

Comment

Yep 20cm, and thats with 650gm green, personally if I started at 3cm my roast would burn and be way too quick for my liking, prolly different bowl shape Id say, and paddle too.
              Cheers
              Warren

Comment

Im getting to know the Barista at one of the local coffee shops near work and have been talking about me roasting etc.
                About two months ago he got me behind the counter showing me milk frothing techniques (which was quite funny for the passer bys as Im in the Army and was in full uniform behind this coffee machine!) and just two days ago asked if I could bring some of my roast in for him to try after telling him about my Corretto method.

Took some in which he cleaned out his grinder, poured two shots and told me the next day it was quite nice and whatever Im doing Im definitely doing it right!
                Pretty happy with that!

Now I dont know how he rates compared to others but I dont mind his coffee (compared to some woeful ones quite near) so I value this advice.

Still room for improvement though as always!

Comment

My advice for what its worth after doing about 40-50 roasts and still learning.

Buy a thermometer with a thermocouple so you can keep an eye on your temps  minute by minute.

As an absolute minimum make you roast size at least 380g .... even better move up to 450g... with a temp probe buried in the bean mass.
                  Others will suggest 500-600g as an optimum size.
                  A good guide would be at least to the height of the paddle.

Keep records of each roast .

Greg

Comment

wambesi, i just got an old BB250 bread maker also... I am wondering what setting you put yours on to do your roasts?

Heading out to get a heat gun, an extra fan and thermocouple/meter some time this week.

I like your idea of using an old fan stand.

Comment

Originally posted by 5C5B40475C5B50340 link=1259455172/8#8 date=1260357056
                      Buy a thermometer with a thermocouple so you can keep an eye on your temps  minute by minute.
                      <snip>
                      Keep records of each roast .

Greg
                      Thanks Greg, I always keep detailed records - comes from my all grain beer brewing as well but thanks for the advice on the roast size, have been experimenting with larger batches recently.

The heat probe will be coming soon hopefully, as that is something I want to get more control off.

Originally posted by 465D4255580C05340 link=1259455172/9#9 date=1260402045
                      wambesi, i just got an old BB250 bread maker also... I am wondering what setting you put yours on to do your roasts?

Heading out to get a heat gun, an extra fan and thermocouple/meter some time this week.

The fan stand is working well.
                      I just set it to the first program and hit start, it does the slow rotations for the first min or two then speeds up for the rest of the time it is on for the roast.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E554A5D50040D3C0 link=1259455172/9#9 date=1260402045
                        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1166671954/2#2

Comment

Working...
                        X