KKTO Beta Testers Feedback....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KKTO Beta Testers Feedback....

This thread is intended for use by the "KKTO Beta Testers" for the collation of all feedback, suggestions and recommendations.

Not intended for general discussion about the KKTO where this thread.... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1228631426/0#0 has already been established for that purpose.

Thanks All....

Mal.

Re: KKTO Beta Testers Feedback....

Initial minor faults:

* One adaptor ring screw was bent; chance of this could be minimised by screwing all the way in or bagging separately.

* Base has a flattened edge; it gives mine character but the cause needs to be eliminated.

* One motor wire had come loose; maybe add wiring diagram to the instructions.

* Cloth tape holding the wires down looks a bit tatty; maybe even a neater piece would suffice.

Once Id worked out the adaptor ring was upside down and reconnected the wire, the test run with some green beans went well.

Tomorrow Ill fire up the top to make sure its heating.

First roast still to be scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by 437F6279737265707873170 link=1261484678/1#1 date=1261485763
      * One adaptor ring screw was bent; chance of this could be minimised by screwing all the way in or bagging separately.
      One of mine doesnt screw all the way in as the hole may be slightly lower or not threaded properly. You may need to ensure the TO is located exactly in the centre of the adapter ring and then tighten each screw incrementally. But the TO is still securely held.

Originally posted by 437F6279737265707873170 link=1261484678/1#1 date=1261485763
      No, mine was loose too and I think this may be deliberate. As KK mentioned, you may need to check the rotation of the motor.

Cloth tape holding the wires down looks a bit tatty; maybe even a neater piece would suffice.
      I noticed that but it is underneath, not visible, so aesthetics isnt a concern. My concern is whether it will hold when the KKTO heats up.

Some suggestions:

1. Cut L-shaped slots on the pedestal for lugs or screws attached to the main pot to fit into so that it can be affixed to the pedestal (but also easily removed). Then you can pick up the entire KKTO by the handles, making it easier to carry.

2. Have a two-piece shaft:  the main shaft remains attached to the motor and extends to almost the bottom of the inner chamber . The agitator has a short shaft with a keyed end that fits into the slotted head of the main shaft (see attached pic). Only the agitator comes away when you lift out the inner chamber for dumping and not the whole shaft. This will also reduce the chance of damage to the shaft as the inner chamber wont be resting on it and also make it easier to refit. Furthermore. you could use then use a smaller inner chamber for smaller roasts and add an extension piece to lengthen the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by 3E34213636392D2B580 link=1261484678/2#2 date=1261518989
        Cloth tape holding the wires down looks a bit tatty; maybe even a neater piece would suffice.

I noticed that but it is underneath, not visible, so aesthetics isnt a concern. My concern is whether it will hold when the KKTO heats up.
        Eventually it will be encased in heat sink or clips on the floor base

Some suggestions:

1. Cut L-shaped slots on the pedestal for lugs or screws attached to the main pot to fit into so that it can be affixed to the pedestal (but also easily removed). Then you can pick up the entire KKTO by the handles, making it easier to carry.
        The angle of the lower portion of the pot is the problem
        As we are marrying different off the shelf items with precision made items its the best solution

2. Have a two-piece shaft:the main shaft remains attached to the motor and extends to almost the bottom of the inner chamber . The agitator has a short shaft with a keyed end that fits into the slotted head of the main shaft (see attached pic). Only the agitator comes away when you lift out the inner chamber for dumping and not the whole shaft. This will also reduce the chance of damage to the shaft as the inner chamber wont be resting on it and also make it easier to refit. Furthermore. you could use then use a smaller inner chamber for smaller roasts and add an extension piece to lengthen the shaft.  
        I wanted to do that as well but it would have cost 3 times more to make

Similarly with the pot base, anything is possible at a cost

I had to weigh up cost against function
        Larger production runs may bring costs down of a 2 piece agitator & purpose made roasting section

KK

Comment

Mine arrived!!! Yay.

Originally posted by 6D514C575D5C4B5E565D390 link=1261484678/1#1 date=1261485763

* Cloth tape holding the wires down looks a bit tatty; maybe even a neater piece would suffice.
          Agree with TG on the above have a bit of child caring to do and then I will be out to play (give a little get a little).

A parts diagram too would be handing when putting it together so that there is no confusion, having said that I had no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 774B564D474651444C47230 link=1261484678/1#1 date=1261485763
            Originally posted by 414F424D5A4C4D230 link=1261484678/4#4 date=1261529394
            Agree with TG on the above
            Unless I overlooked something, there were two terminals on the motor gearbox.  One already had a wire attached and I didnt think a diagram would be necessary to work out where the other wire attached.
            But I agree that it wouldnt hurt to have some sort of colour coding on wire and terminals + a diagram to eliminate confusion.

Originally posted by 684C454546467C684C504E4C230 link=1261484678/3#3 date=1261520748
            I had to weigh up cost against function
            Larger production runs may bring costs down of a 2 piece agitator & purpose made roasting section  
            Definitely appreciate that. There are always tradeoffs.

Lifting the KKTO out of the box yesterday, the first thing I noticed was that the pedestal didnt come out with it and subsequently trying to fit the main assembly back onto the pedestal was a little tricky and that was with a cold KKTO.

I think having the shaft attached to the motor rather han the inner chamber is preferable from an ease of use perspective and worth the extra $s IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by 28223720202F3B3D4E0 link=1261484678/5#5 date=1261532649
              Unless I overlooked something, there were two terminals on the motor gearbox.  One already had a wire attached and I didnt think a diagram would be necessary to work out where the other wire attached.
              The wire that had come off for me was at the other end and I had two to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by 4C465344444B5F592A0 link=1261484678/5#5 date=1261532649
                Unless I overlooked something, there were two terminals on the motor gearbox.One already had a wire attached and I didnt think a diagram would be necessary to work out where the other wire attached.
                Originally posted by 48464B445345442A0 link=1261484678/6#6 date=1261534526
                The wire that had come off for me was at the other end and I had two to choose from.
                I could always solder them next time ;D

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 010F020D1A0C0D630 link=1261484678/6#6 date=1261534526
                  Ditto.
                  A closer inspection revealed which of the two terminals the wire had popped off from.

Comment

Would just like to raise a suggestion and KK can can it if he likes.....

If everyone can limit their feedback, to the KKTOs as supplied for the time being. Improvements, nice-to-haves, etc can be addressed later. At this stage I think we just want to make sure that the basic package has all specific issues addressed first before heading off in other directions...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 74595D515C300 link=1261484678/9#9 date=1261553112
                      If everyone can limit their feedback, to the KKTOs as supplied for the time being
                      I can see where you are coming from here Mal. We dont want to get sidelined into discussions/debates about the wiring, for example

But feedback is that: commentary about the product. Any feedback could be good feedback and I dont think it should exclude what we (beta testers) feel would improve the KKTO

e.g. this worked well but I think it would be better if...etc.

Anyway, KKs call. I meant to ask how we to present feedback - is it just posting into this thread or are you expecting a report or something?

Comment

Ill leave it to KK to answer your queries Steve but Im sure detailed reports wouldnt be knocked back.... in email or PM form back to KK.

Mal.

Comment

Let me start off and compare the original Roaster Design & The New Design

Original design was conceived to be

A small roaster that can be easily stored away
                          Roast coffee to near shop quality standard
                          That did not have chaff fly around everywhere when roasting coffee
                          Can hear the cracks with relative ease
                          Can be tweaked to a coffee enthusiast’s content
                          Robust construction
                          Can be copied by others with handyman skills

However what needed to be improved was

Having to use oven gloves to remove the hot perforated bean basket
                          Agitator fell with the beans when dumped to cool
                          Having to pick up the whole roaster including base to empty the spent chaff
                          Separated from the base
                          Insulation

The new design utilizing the pasta pot set has addressed most items on my wish list and still true to the original design

The dual pot design allows one to use the pot handles to empty the roasted beans
                          The agitator is part of the roaster chamber and does not fall in with the roasted beans
                          The bottom pot can come off the base hub to easily empty its contents of collected chaff again by the handles
                          The insert fitted inside the lower pot is insulated at the bottom and double walled on the sides
                          Added a TO to pot adaptor ring
                          Volume is reduced & can be reduced more by removing the TO to pot adaptor & place the TO direct to the pot  
                          Appearance of the design to be pleasing to the eye

It can still
                          Be tweaked to a coffee enthusiast’s content
                          Is of robust construction
                          Roast coffee to near shop quality
                          Made it easier to make & affordable by offering it in kit form even when one has to drill ones own pots
                          Plus all the other positive attributes

Hope its simple operation will roast coffee that pleases your taste buds

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 5658555A4D5B5A340 link=1261484678/6#6 date=1261534526
                            Originally posted by 28223720202F3B3D4E0 link=1261484678/5#5 date=1261532649
                            I was under pressure to get the roaster to all of you before Christmas
                            I had to collect the components in 2 trips
                            Spent all weekend to assemble them for you free of charge (cos I am a nice guy  )
                            I compiled the user guide in the early hours of the morning
                            I had no time to take assembly photos as I wanted to
                            Then pack & despatch them on Monday
                            Followed by courtesy phone calls  

Now I say this tongue in cheek  :P

And you comment about a loose wire   ;D

I actually had a little laugh when I read it and said to myself if they only knew what I went through

Now you know  

At your service
                            KK

Comment

No complaints here mate.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X