First Roaster, what to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Roaster, what to buy...

The Mrs has given the go ahead for a roaster and I was all set to go for a KKTO until I did a bit of reading... and now I dont know what to buy. Still leaning towards the KKTO though.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about how I should start out.

Ive looked at the Behmor @ CS. Doesnt seem to have much control built in, or is that a good thing?

The KKTO, does a decent batch size, can fit under the BBQ, and I think its pretty clean during roasting too from the posts Ive read.

Thought about a popper, cheap, small batches might be restrictive.

FYI budget is maxed out at the $500 mark, must be able to be tidied away so the mrs doesnt trip over it.

If this sorta post has been done a 1000 times Im sorry, did search but couldnt find anyone comparing the Behmor and KKTO or anything else that fits in my budget.

Re: First Roaster, what to buy...

Originally posted by 7C51535558595D300 link=1263027599/0#0 date=1263027599
    The Mrs has given the go ahead for a roaster and I was all set to go for a KKTO until I did a bit of reading... and now I dont know what to buy.  Still leaning towards the KKTO though.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about how I should start out.

Ive looked at the Behmor @ CS.  Doesnt seem to have much control built in, or is that a good thing?

The KKTO, does a decent batch size, can fit under the BBQ, and I think its pretty clean during roasting too from the posts Ive read.

Thought about a popper, cheap, small batches might be restrictive.

FYI budget is maxed out at the $500 mark, must be able to be tidied away so the mrs doesnt trip over it.

If this sorta post has been done a 1000 times Im sorry, did search but couldnt find anyone comparing the Behmor and KKTO or anything else that fits in my budget.
    Neither has been around long enough to do a real side by side work up..

I was tossing up as to a KKTO kit and also a Behmor ... The wife would have my guts for garters in about 10sec.  

As I all ready have a Early version KKTO and it works well.

My gut feel is that the Behmor has some smarts built in and some smoke control... Plus it looks smart and will fit easily in the kitchen and on the stove top (under the exhaust hood)... Plus a great buy..

The KKTO is a bit more manual, and for some beans... On teh stove (under the exhaust hood) maybe; but for me it works well and on the deck...

If ya can... Get an invite to go and have a look at both units...  Then make ya call..

Comment

and to confuse you even more, there is a Gene for $500 over here

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1263025234/1#1

Comment

Saw that, pity its in Melbourne and ACGs prefers a pickup.

Comment

Probably comes down to the batch size you prefer to roast too Id say...

The KKTO can roast successfully with batch sizes up to 900g, with careful attention paid to technique where-as the Behmor is rated as a 1lb/500g maximum batch size. Still a pretty decent batch size for a home roaster though and with more control input possible by the operator.

Doesnt really worry me either way, as I quite enjoy the manual input required by a KKTO style roaster and 750g is my preferred batch size which is readily accommodated. The Behmor is a nice looking unit it must be said and the results in the cup are quite decent too. Probably not much help to you in the end mate, sorry about that.... :

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal, it does help in away because at least I know both are up to the job.

Can anyone explain the roasting process with both the KKTO and Behmor.  Mal mentioned that the KKTO is more "manual" but in what way?

Are spare parts availiable for the Behmor?

I also read somewhere that chaffy beans are not advices in the Behmor?  Does the KKTO have this limitation?

Sorry, questions, questions but there are threads about the Behmor where everyone raves about it, and threads about the KKTO where everyone raves about it which doesnt make my choice any easier.

Would anyone like to create a Pros and Cons list for both that a newbie roaster can use?????

Comment

I cant comment on chaff and the Behmor but it shouldnt be a problem with the KKTO the way its designed.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F6260666B6A6E030 link=1263027599/5#5 date=1263078352
                Can anyone explain the roasting process with both the KKTO and Behmor.  Mal mentioned that the KKTO is more "manual" but in what way?
                :-? I googled Behmor user manual and got it on the 2nd hit :

Have you thought of having a read over KKs thread which will explain comprehensively how his roaster works. Use the search tab on the term KKTO and lo and behold you will find that thread too- just like magic!

A little effort at CS is always rewarded with results....

Comment

Originally posted by 104F57414A414D444447474F434C220 link=1263027599/7#7 date=1263079865
                  Can anyone explain the roasting process with both the KKTO and Behmor.Mal mentioned that the KKTO is more "manual" but in what way?

Huh I googled Behmor user manual and got it on the 2nd hit Roll Eyes

Have you thought of having a read over KKs thread which will explain comprehensively how his roaster works. Use the search tab on the term KKTO and lo and behold you will find that thread too- its just like magic!

A little effort wont hurt you that much- I promise you.Roll Eyes
                  I have both Behmor and Turbo roasters they both do a fantastic job with in there means It just depends on what amount of beans you want to roast as mentioned the KKTO can roast 900gm + against the behmors 500max. they both have a learning curve which is the fun in home roasting and you end up fresh coffee that is great in the cup :P

There is plenty of information posted in KKTOs Beta and his pre build section and some of us are posting our results on the Behmor, As I have said they are both great to work with but the choice is all yours at the end of the day.. ;D ;D

Cheers Gra..

Comment

I have the Behmor but not the KKTO.

The Behmor is a great, no fuss, very little mess option.

Plenty of tweaking is available via the profiles along with bean mass adjustments.

These things are very new (a week old for us CSrs) so plenty more info will come in time.

Note that with either option I feel you need an external cooling apparatus.

The KKTO appears to do a larger roast so if that is needed, there is your deal clincher. Other than that I cant see much in it.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 603F27313A313D343437373F333C520 link=1263027599/7#7 date=1263079865
                      Huh I googled Behmor user manual and got it on the 2nd hit Roll Eyes

Have you thought of having a read over KKs thread which will explain comprehensively how his roaster works. Use the search tab on the term KKTO and lo and behold you will find that thread too- just like magic!

A little effort at CS is always rewarded with results....Wink
                      2mcm, I have read about the KKTO, and yes Ive read though the design process, the beta posts and a few users posts. I hadnt gotten that far with the Behmor because I really wanted some user feedback about it. It appears to be quite new so there is not a lot of info out there regarding its performance in comparison to other models.

I can read, read and read threads on this forum (which I have been doing) about both machines, but I posted a thread to get advice about the two machines or shoud I just start with a popper for a newbie roaster.

Originally posted by 152033520 link=1263027599/8#8 date=1263085930
                      I have both Behmor and Turbo roasters they both do a fantastic job with in there means Wink It just depends on what amount of beans you want to roast as mentioned the KKTO can roast 900gm + against the behmors 500max. they both have a learning curve which is the fun in home roasting and you end up fresh coffee that is great in the cup Tongue
                      Thanks Gra,

Maybe I should just buy both too and that will solve the dilema. ;D

Comment

I started with a popper, moved to a corretto and just recently got a Behmor.

Its early days yet I think that the advantage that the Behmor offers a new roaster is the preset profiles and the limited ability to tweak them, this should help to limit the biggest variable in your roasts...you.

Whilst I was getting some fairly decent roasts in the corretto the Behmor I think in time will offer me more repetition using the same beans with minimal fuss and mess.

Keep in mind that I have not used a KKTO, however at $399 with 2.5kg of beans , and a $50 Beanbay credit, that leaves you $100 in your budget for plenty of beans to practice and learn with.

Comment

Its a fantastic deal by CS for the Behmor. So tempting and maybe at this stage in my life it might be the way to go. ie Great price, preset profiles and possibly a more consistent roast.

I have 2 kids on the go and at least the Behmor will give me a starting base to learn on, then later I can always buy a KKTO kit or build my own if time permits to play with and tweek.

Comment

The Behmor has been available in other markets for some time. It would be worth broadening your search to get more info on the Behmor.

Im at a similar stage of thinking as you are :-/

Comment

Something that may not have been picked up though, is that the KKTO can also roast under a range-hood too, as all of the chaff is contained within the unit when appropriate slits are cut into the inner pot. What little smoke is exhausted at various milestones through a roast, is easily caught and removed by the average domestic exhaust system.... 8-)

Just something else to keep in mind, when using a separate bean cooler though, some extraneous chaff may be blown around and create a bit of a mess inside. Probably depends on the cooler design and a test or two will determine this....

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X