Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hand 2-5kg roasters

Hi guys,

Ive just started looking around for a small second hand roaster, up to 5kg and am surprised that Im having a hard time finding any. Ideally Ill be able to find a Diedrich 3kg, although Ill definatly consider anything thats brought to my attention.

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of any company that might sell refurb roasters in Australia? Does this exist?

While Ive got you here is anyone able to give me theit thoughts on small batch roasters? What have you used - good / bad / ugly?

Thanks in advance for your input, I appreciate your time and input.

Cheers,
    Matthew

Re: Second hand 2-5kg roasters

Hi Matthew

I have owned a 3kg Diedrich and now own a 10kg Has Garanti.

Any brand small 2nd hand roaster is likely to be scarce as they are generally purchased by serious home roasters who dont tend to part with them. At times, you may be lucky enough to come across one where the owner had purchased it with a business venture in mind, the business has taken off, and they upgrade - as in my case.

You can expect to pay somewhere not all that far short of the price of a new 5kg Has Garanti for a 2nd hand 3kg Diedrich, and I warrant that in the right hands a Has Garanti can do the same, if not better roasts than the Diedrich.

Mark from Coffee Roasters Australia (CRA) is the importer of the Has Garanti and is based in QLD. Once the roasters arrive he performs work to both the electrics and gas train so that they perform at their best.

I am CRAs NSW Agent, and Chris from Talk Coffee is the Agent for Vic and Tas. Mark attends to enquiries in other States.

Depending on where you live, give one of us a call to discuss your needs - were all happy to help.

Cheers
    Den

Comment

Welcome to CS MeP
      I have just been down a similar road and too early to give you any insights other than the sponsors here are fantastic to deal with.
      As Den mentioned Mark from Coffee Roasters Australia is very much on his game and Chris from Talk Coffee and Den himself from Cuppacoffee are very helpful and freely give expert advice.

redzone

Comment

Originally posted by 2234313120222E27272424410 link=1263534877/1#1 date=1263536280
        Hi Matthew

I have owned a 3kg Diedrich and now own a 10kg Has Garanti.

Any brand small 2nd hand roaster is likely to be scarce as they are generally purchased by serious home roasters who dont tend to part with them.  At times, you may be lucky enough to come across one where the owner had purchased it with a business venture in mind, the business has taken off, and they upgrade - as in my case.

You can expect to pay somewhere not all that far short of the price of a new 5kg Has Garanti for a 2nd hand 3kg Diedrich, and I warrant that in the right hands a Has Garanti can do the same, if not better roasts than the Diedrich.

Mark from Coffee Roasters Australia (CRA) is the importer of the Has Garanti and is based in QLD.  Once the roasters arrive he performs work to both the electrics and gas train so that they perform at their best.

I am CRAs NSW Agent, and Chris from Talk Coffee is the Agent for Vic and Tas.  Mark attends to enquiries in other States.

Depending on where you live, give one of us a call to discuss your needs - were all happy to help.

Cheers
        Den
        Hi Matthew,

Id second Dennis obversations.

I sold my 5kg Garanti last week in about 12 hours, before even listing it here and could have sold it again to each of the 4 parties I offered it to. I received a great offer for my 10 month old unit and will upgrade to a 4 motor 5kg Garanti now. Why? Because I am a sucker for upgraditis. Its all Dennis fault!! :

The gas work which Mark is doing on the new roasters makes them worth every cent over the price of a 2nd hand one- and thats if you can find one. Many 2nd hand ones will have been really heavily used- hence the need to upgrade. I have also heard stories of substantial overloading on some machines. Doubtless that this must kill drum motors and bearings too.

Lots of CSers roast on Garanti (Andy, Dennis, Redzone, spelomike, moi just to name a few) and we will all trumpet their virtues. They play well above their height and the results are in the cup and in competition medals.

A roaster is a big purchase and you will pay very close to retail for a good 2nd hand one. If its bargain basement, there will be a reason why. Dont buy a dud for the sake of a couple of thousand bucks. Wait, save and buy the right one

Chris

Comment

Yep second hand Roasters are rare as hens teeth. We looked for a second hand when we bought but couldnt find one.

We are selling our well maintained and loved 5 Kilo Has Garanati atm for an upgrade to 15. ;D Which snobs are coming to the launch party?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1251468789/3#3

What capacity are you looking at aiming to do MeP?

Comment

Originally posted by 5B6B707E716D7C6B4A707D7C190 link=1263534877/4#4 date=1265689314
            Which snobs are coming to the launch party?
            Ill be there......if your serious

Comment

Originally posted by 191D3B222227382F204E0 link=1263534877/5#5 date=1265690514
              Wink
              There is going to be some very exciting new developments here in the next month...

1. The business turns 1.
              2. Possible new branding *first teaser for CS... current people privy to this I can count on the one hand*
              3. New 15 Kilo roaster!
              4. Some very exciting new beans
              5. Newly fitout retail premises
              6. Ill be there ;D

Sounds like more then enough reasons to have a bash!

Comment

Originally posted by 231308060915041332080504610 link=1263534877/6#6 date=1265795825
                Originally posted by 191D3B222227382F204E0 link=1263534877/5#5 date=1265690514
                Wink
                There is going to be some very exciting new developments here in the next month...

1. The business turns 1.
                2. Possible new branding *first teaser for CS... current people privy to this I can count on the one hand*
                3. New 15 Kilo roaster!
                4. Some very exciting new beans
                5. Newly fitout retail premises
                6. Ill be there  ;D

Sounds like more then enough reasons to have a bash!  
                i second that.......motion passed! There are a fair few brissie CSs that love get togethers! i work permits ill be there with bells on, im sure i can bend KK and AMs rubber arms too ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 4145637A7A7F607778160 link=1263534877/7#7 date=1265796926
                  i second that.......motion passed! There are a fair few brissie CSs that love get togethers! i work permits ill be there with bells on, im sure i can bend KK and AMs rubber arms too Grin

Wsully I love the democratic system!

I can see it now... booze bus for... CSs to caffiened to drink, wifes to drunk to drive, kids to full on chocolate to sleep! ;D

You know what I just realised were guilty of not holding a snob meet yet... will have to rectify that in the very new future.

Comment

Originally posted by 0F3F242A2539283F1E2429284D0 link=1263534877/8#8 date=1265797868
                    Originally posted by 4145637A7A7F607778160 link=1263534877/7#7 date=1265796926
                    i second that.......motion passed! There are a fair few brissie CSs that love get togethers! i work permits ill be there with bells on, im sure i can bend KK and AMs rubber arms too Grin

Wsully I love the democratic system!

I can see it now... booze buz for... CSs to caffiened to drink, wifes to drunk to drive, kids to full on chocolate to sleep! ;D

You know what I just realised were guilty of not holding a snob meet yet... will have to rectify that in the very new future.
                    His wife taught him every thing he knows ;D ;D ;D

Date and a TIME

Comment

Originally posted by 5E5A7C6565607F6867090 link=1263534877/7#7 date=1265796926
                      im sure i can bend KK and AMs rubber arms too
                      How did you know that I am double jointed [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 67574C424D514057764C4140250 link=1263534877/6#6 date=1265795825
                        Possible new branding

Ouch!

Comment

Working...
                        X